What are good inspired poets that my daughter and I haven't discovered yet.

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:28 pm
My daughter and I (45 and 7 years old respectively) are looking for some new poetry to enjoy. We like to be entertained and don't like to be condescended to although inspired nonsense is great. We have found and love Lewis Carroll and Shel Silverstein.

What other poets should we check out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,176 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Edward Lear?

Totally obvious one(s) I'm forgetting right now because of an extreme case of fried brain, I'll take a gander at my poetry-loving daughter's shelf and report back tomorrow.

Oh that was one, "The Cremation of Sam McGee." She really loved it. Not nonsense per se but kinda creepy and great fun to declaim dramatically. I think 7 was right around when she memorized most of it.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174348
Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:26 pm
@sozobe,
The Creation... is by Robert Service. He also wrote the Shooting of Dan McGrew.

One of my favourites is Seamus Heany.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:39 am
@Ceili,
Obviously for kids Longfellows epic poems are a story and a snack. All Longfellow poems go with hit chocolate . Id wait till they are about 9 and then start em with some of the easier Frost poems about New ENgland life. Then Coleridge when they are maybe 12
0 Replies