Feeble Words Help

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:19 pm
Have you ever wondered – does my lame “I’m sorry” help? My lack of words or not knowing what to say help some one when they have a huge loss.

I used to wonder that. I never knew what to say and I'd mumble out "I'm sorry - sorry for your loss or sorry for what you're going through." Same lame thing everyone else has already said to them over and over.

Well I want to let everyone it helps and it helps a lot. I am saying this because I used to wonder and didn’t really understand or even think I was having any impact or making a person feel better. But, now that I’ve personally experienced it – it helps more than you may think.

Just knowing that a friend or even some one you don’t know representing an organization, a business, an employer says a couple of kind words and sympathy – basically showing you care and are thinking of you helps.

roger

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Yes.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:22 pm
@Linkat,
indeed...

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:26 pm
@Linkat,
It helps.

I'm sorry to hear that you're in a situation where this applies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:36 pm
@Linkat,
Yikes Linkat... sounds like you're having a rough time.

Let me add my feeble words.

Take care.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:41 pm
Well to be honest I've been away from you all for a bit - partly due to this.

Things are better now - as time heals.

I was just floored at the kindness of people and how some one just saying a simple "I'm sorry" and showing genuine caring without words really touched me. People I didn't know - but came up and spoke with me/not saying much but knowing they really cared.

I always thought it was a waste - not that I didn't do it - I felt more like I must seem like a robot and useless just standing there saying I'm sorry with nothing else to give. And all along that was all you needed to do to make some one feel tons better and cared about.
sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:45 pm
@Linkat,
I had noticed you weren't around as much.

I'm worried about you, but only say as much as you'd like to say.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And all along that was all you needed to do to make some one feel tons better and cared about.

a little bit of kindness can go a long way

sometimes that "I'm sorry" feels like a hug
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@Linkat,
I read your post and made me think about how I felt at the losses I've experienced in my family. Glad to see that you're back and things are looking up a bit more.

Hang in there. I feel, at the least, that life is a curiosity and you gotta love a good puzzle.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:52 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks - it was my dad. He passed away after a battle with lung cancer.

Very tough for the whole family.
sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:53 pm
@Linkat,
Thought that might be it...

So sorry, Linkat.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:56 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks - and you know what - my thanks seems feeble too - but it isn't.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:58 pm
Aw Linkat.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 02:29 pm
Very sorry to hear you have lost your dad. Love to hear a bit about him? Only if you want to share, of course.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 03:43 pm
Awww, Linkat... so sorry for you, hon... hugs to all of you.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
And of course, though I didn't say those exact words...sorry for your loss.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 03:49 pm
I'm sorry too, Linky.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 04:31 pm
thanks lots and lots all. Not that I really think anyone would be really cruel on here - but there are some that at times are not so nice (myself included). I didn't feel I could write about it.

But the good feelings I had and positiveness that I received seemed like a good start again.

Dad I think one of his strongest qualities was his humor. He was a funny dad - maybe where I get my sense of humor (although some people don't take to it so well).

The nice thing we were all there with him at his home where I pretty much grew up. My youngest was the most comforting for everyone - you should have seen her - after he passed - she went on and on talking about all the great times she had with him - how now he isn't sick and can see her play ball. She really has some sort of gift in comforting people - I've seen it in other instances as well.
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 05:28 pm
@Linkat,
Awwwwww.......sounds like a lovely daughter you have raised.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm
My condolences Link. My favourite teacher died this week. I'm going to his funeral tomorrow, dressed in green, as he requested. I truly do share your pain at this time. Words are feeble, because they are only words. It's what behind the words, the eyes, the gestures, the love, and the message is never weak. Thank god for your little girl. She has the ability to say what everyone else wanted to say and maybe couldn't.
I'm sorry for your loss, one day I'll have to go through this too and it scares the bejeebers out of me. I'm sending a virtual hug..