Whooping Cranes

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:03 pm
where in Cambridge is that from?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
Glad I found the shot for ya, it amazing the first time you see it, actually its always amazing....and Im amazed you havent bumped into one yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:05 pm
I don't know if I'd recognize it for what it is... unless a swan was sitting in it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
http://www.cambridge2000.com/cambridge2000/html/0004/P4070604.html
map and everything Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:31 pm
A map without street names! How perfect for this area! Thanks quinn
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:34 pm
yeah...I thought so too...lol
Dont you know where it is, arent you suppose to know that?
dont get me started...hehehehehe
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:35 pm
well, there's the river. Too bad there's no marker for true north - sheesh!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:52 pm
Hey, guys, don't forget to look at the other topics I posted the other day. And speaking of sandhill cranes, as Husker was, has anyone ever read that marvelous small book about them? Can't remember either author or title though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:01 pm
are you thinking of the Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 07:03 pm
Excerpt from A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
"The sadness discernible in some marshes arises, perhaps in their once having harbored cranes. Now they stand humbled, adrift in history.

"Someday, perhaps in the very process of our benefactions, perhaps in the fullness of geologic time, the last crane will trumpet his farewell and spiral skyward from the great marsh.

"High out of the clouds will fall the sound of hunting horns, the baying of the phantom pack, the tinkle of little bells, and then a silence never to be broken, unless perchance in some far away pasture of the milky way
."
--Aldo Leopold, Marshland Elegy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:22 pm
Yes, of course I am, ehBeth, and that quote is lovely too. I just hate it when my brain goes all senile on me. Yuch! I have read that book many times, although I don't know where it is now.

Another favorite of mine is set on Cape Cod, called something like "The Outermost House", by.....whomever.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:15 pm
A nesting pair of Sandhill Cranes took up residence this past spring here on The Timber Estate. Some six generations of carefully bred and tended Garden Pond Koi are now craneshit. I am unhappy. The cranes will certainly return. I have a plan.

timber
0 Replies