how to create a website for my band

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 10:32 am
Hello there,

I am looking into putting up a website for my band, I’d like to know if any of you had any experience creating a band website?

We would like to have stuff like:
* Our own .com domain
* Unlimited streaming of our songs
* Music player that can play on an ipad
* Facebook & Twitter integration would be great
* A form for fans to contact us and register to our mailing list directly on the website

I am definitely not a programmer and I don’t have time to learn how to code HTML just to create that one website.

How much should I expect to spend for a custom website made by a professional web designer (including the requested features above)? Many people told us we should spend between $1,000 and up to $5,000, is that true!? Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
FBF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,247 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed

Butrflynet

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:24 pm
@flybyfender,
At the bottom of every page here is a link to this site-owner's company. They build websites for a living and may be able to help you.
Ceili

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 12:46 pm
I would start with facebook and twitter. You can make a band page, get a list of fans, update it with all the new stuff you want to brag about, interact and so on all for free. Maybe have a corresponding blog too... Then when you have the money and if you still feel the need, then go the web site route. A lot of bands used to use myspace.. I'm not sure if that's a viable option or not anymore, but since it's free you might want to give it a test drive too.
You can spend a bunch of money, but if you don't have the traffic is the web site the best option?
By the by, what kind of band? Can we have a sneak preview???
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 8 Mar, 2012 03:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
To add to what BFN said, I'd suggest starting with WordPress, which is free, and rather intuitive. I would also buy a domain if I were you (otherwise, your web address is blahblahblah.wordpress.com and it looks a lot less professional).

Domains can be purchased through lots of places. Godaddy is one. They are out of favor with a lot of folks due to their support (which they've withdrawn) of SOPA. I use them and I really don't have huge problems with them, but recognize that I am a power user. For someone who needs help in setting up a website, they are not too terribly helpful.

Sit down, before you do anything, and truly think about what you wish to accomplish. Is it name recognition? Ticket sales to where you'll be appearing? Sales of your CDs, if any? Free distribution of your music? Advertising to get a new drummer? Blog for your fans about what what you think about music? Calendar showing where you'll be next week? It can be any or all of these things, or something else, but do take the time and make some decisions, because that will help a lot in terms of figuring out how to design your site, and what needs to be emphasized.

Notice I am not talking about HTML at all. Instead, I am talking about content. Content is King. You need to figure out what your content will be - not just how you're going to present it - as that will drive what anyone you hire is going to do for you.

After content, usability and appearance are important, as is search. WordPress will fix any usability and appearance issues - this is why I'm suggesting them. They are templated; it may not be exactly how you envision things, but it can get you started. E. g. crawl before you can run.

As for search, that's a question of key words, linking to and from your site, etc. Getting good search engine ranking is important because if people can't find you online, it's as if you don't have a website at all. But recognize, also, that getting a good search engine ranking takes some time. Even beautifully crafted sites take a while to be ranked.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Getting started from scratch is not easy, but it can be extremely rewarding.
0 Replies

Alison Wood

Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:13 am
@flybyfender,
To create a website for your band you can use content management system like joomla which will perfectly handle your needs:)
nikkoncolmel

Wed 12 Sep, 2012 05:57 am
@Alison Wood,
If you want to grow, you need to be something that someone can get behind, and for that, you need to have a company image; a brand. Every company has a brand in one way or another, some are just more successful than others, and when it comes to successful brands,
0 Replies