TIMBER!!!! (uh, oh)

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:33 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/28/politics/28FORE.html.

Bush Plan Gives More Discretion to Forest Managers on Logging
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 3
No top replies

neil

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:26 pm
Government rarely does anything right, so perhaps more discretion is better. It's my understanding that forests should be like a city park for best results. 50 foot hard wood trees spaced 20 to 50 feet apart, with narow strips of short grass in between will remove more green house gas (per acre) than any other kind of forest and provide pleasent recreation for people, and habitat for SOME kinds of wild life. Forest fires will be rare and much easier to put out if they do occur. It will however produce less timber and paper than pine trees and costs will be higher per acre. Cutting selected trees (with little damage to other trees) will be practical due to the the wide spacing of the trees. Neil
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:30 pm
Glad to see you here and finally posting, neil. Ccpoodle was one of the ones I missed from Abuzz.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:55 am
When I came in Nov, I could only find 3 threads in my areas of knowledge, but it has improved, or I'm having better luck navigating able2 know. My computer opeating is poor but I have fair overviw of lots of topics related to science and engineering which seem to be widely scaterd about able to know. Neil
0 Replies