Christians - Scripture Passage ?

husker

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:43 pm
Letty wrote:
I love the Songs of Solomon. (song of songs)

Especially this one:

How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter!
The joints of thy thighs are like jewels, the works of the hands
Of cunning workmen.

I have tried forever to find the short story based on that verse.

I like many of the psalms, and I especially like the great music that has come from so much of the King James version of the Bible.

I'll not soon forget we are looking. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
Husker, I see the old testament as history and poetry, and the new testament as philosophy. We did a fantastic choral presentation in our church in Virginia, that began with the prophecy--the annunciation--the birth of Jesus--and finally, his crucifixion. I do wish that I could remember the bassist's lyrical dialogue that was sung in Hebrew, but meant, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me." Eli, Eli, ............................

I do remember parts of the cantata:

There shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse,
And a flower shall rise up out of his root.

Behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
A child is born to us, and a son is given to us,
And his name shall be called Immanuel.

All of this was done in a minor key with pipe organ. WOW!
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:21 am
The inside of my wedding band has Proverbs 19:14--"Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a noble wife is from the Lord"

I also like Psalm 107. It's a little long to post here, but it's very poetic. There is a recurring theme of God stepping in to rescue man from his failures.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:25 pm
The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a marriage feast for his son, and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the marriage feast; but they would not come. Again he sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, Behold, I have made ready my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.' But they made light of it and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the thoroughfares, and invite to the marriage feast as many as you find.' And those servants went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good; so the wedding hall was filled with guests. But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment; and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and cast him into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.' For many are called, but few are chosen.
Matthew 22: 2-14

This is an odd one. Anyone willing to explain it to me?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm
Here is a more understandable explanation

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=Matthew+22:2-14
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:35 pm
husker and colorbook covered my utmost favorites. There are many wonderful passages in that collection of books.
0 Replies

Defender

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:13 pm
Cease to do Evil,
Learn to do Good;
Seek Justice,
Rebuke the Oppressor;
Defend the Fatherless,
Plead for the Widow.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:23 pm
What version is that, defender? It reverses some of what the KJV says.
0 Replies

Defender

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:52 pm
I don't see anything REVERSED.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm
Is that from the King James Version, defender? Incidentally, welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:05 pm
Monger wrote:
What version is that, defender? It reverses some of what the KJV says.
Defender wrote:
I don't see anything REVERSED.

I do. The king james version talks about relieving the oppressed, rather than rebuking the oppressor. Also, I think it says to "judge" the fatherless, although I suppose that may have been intended to mean to take care of them or some such, which would be similar to what the version you quoted says.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:19 pm
Romans 8

31: What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

- And since this is the case, why need I worry about anything??? This scripture helps me out very much.
0 Replies

Defender

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
NKJV,

and Thanks.
0 Replies

Defender

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
In the Beginning God...
0 Replies

Defender

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 09:55 am
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
bump
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:00 pm
My signature line is my favorite scripture!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:17 pm
Re: Christians - Scripture Passage ?
husker wrote:
What is your favorite scripture passage.

Ok and if you are not a Christian you may still read the bible and have a special passage.

If anyone wants to explain why the passage is significant that is ok also.

Thanks in Advance for sharing!
From John 14 verse 2...
In my Father's house there are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.Sort of makes me believe we all get a place up in Heaven. My mother used to quote that one whenever people started saying their religion was better than some other religion and it tended to quiet them down for a spell as they mulled it over.

Psalm 37 also works wonders for easing my mind...from the Revised Standard Version: Fret not yourself because of the wicked; be not envious of wrongdoers! For they will fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.
Trust in the Lord and do good.

Then of course something which I found to be quite true from Psalm 34, verse 18...The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. it proved especially true to me a few years back when I was in one of those lost moments.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
I hesited to share my favorite scripture. I used it as a method to keep me within the bounds of appropriate behavior years ago.

My behavior is no longer appropriate, but I still love the verse.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (Gal. 2:20)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:20 pm
cool
0 Replies