Today is the Birthday of Gaston Julia!!

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:11 am
He was the first to find the mathematical principles behind fractals and that sort of stuff. Check out Google, for they have stopped pushing their IPO to honour the man.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,316 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:15 am
Gotta feel sorry for him, in WWI he had his nose shot off. He spent the rest of his life (till 1978) wearing a sort of leather patch thing to cover it up. Sort of a proto-MJ, but smart.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:16 am
OK. OK. The man had no nose. How did he smell?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:18 am
Terrible!! Ba-boom!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:18 am
fractyls are great...

Nobody nose how he smells...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:19 am
hey! Google look scool!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:20 am
Yes, small sockpuppet being. Google, good!! Fire, bad!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:23 am
Small???????
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:33 am
Hahahaha. Oh look, it's my very good friend Deb from the wonderful town of Adelaide in South Australia. Contrary to rumours (posted by......... well, me) Adelaide is NOT the capital of shark attacks and all the citizens are happy, go-lucky sorts who never, ever look over previous A2K threads, or....... or............
<Craven, I am in such f@cking trouble... help?>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:45 am
Mr. Stillwater- This is really amazing. To think, that if I had not been on A2K at this particular moment, I would never have known about Gaston Julia. (I was happy to pass 10th grade geometry).

His stuff is really great. Did you know, that if you click on the "Google" in Google, it will take you a lot of pictures of fractals.

The crying shame is, that in a number of his bios, the two things that are mentioned is his book, and his nose, and not necessarily in that order. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:48 am
The heavens - and even the infernal regions towards which you are, in fact, addressing your pleas - whether wittingly or unwittingly I know not - are deaf.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:17 am
Kind of wondering,
Is a "fractal" what you see in a "kaliedoscope"? Y'know, that telescope looking "toy" that shows pretty pictures when you turn it in the light.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:22 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
Kind of wondering, is a "fractal" what you see in a "kaliedoscope"? Y'know, that telescope looking "toy" that shows pretty pictures when you turn it in the light.

No, a kaleidoscope works on three mirrors reflecting an image created by rotating the pane holding the beads, glass, etc. Fractals are the mathematics of complex geometrical shapes:

Quote:
For centuries mathematicians rejected complex figures, leaving them under a single description: "formless." For centuries geometry was unable to describe trees, landscapes, clouds, and coastlines. However, in the late 1970's a revolution of our perception of the world was brought by the work of Benoit Mandelbrot. He introduced and developed the theory of fractals -- figures that were truly able to describe these shapes.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:56 pm
So would I be correct in saying that a mathmetician could use "fractals" to describe the shapes seen in a kaliedoscope much in the same way as a surveyer would use "rods" or meters to describe a landscape?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 07:15 pm
The idea of a kaleidoscope is to produce an image that is endlessly reflecting. You could use fractals to describe a bead or item found in the kaleidoscope, but the image is just a straight reflection, identical apart from being reversed.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:24 am
Very cool, Mr.
Thanks for the post.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:33 am
very interesting
0 Replies