Mitt Romney...what are his policies?

Below viewing threshold (view)
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 07:16 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Ha! Just came here to post the same link and the exact same quote.

Smooth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 07:16 pm
@sozobe,
Sounds like Obama....only to the right, frankly.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 01:21 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I know many people here are following the US pre-election dramas with enormous attention...what's Mitt really about?

Hard to tell right now, because he doesn't like to stick his neck out and tends to play it safe instead of stand up for something (which is one reason why you are seeing the Republicans have a hard time settling on him). He's all about getting elected, mainly. Even more so that most politicians. And this is the primary and he will have to tack to the center in the election so even when he does take a stand it's hard to tell what might just be primary campaigning. For example, he is trying to get conservative bona fides by talking an even more hawkish line of talk than Obama, in order to try to portray Obama as being "soft on Iran" and "not a true friend of Israel" but Obama already tacked that way, giving up on any attempt at Mideast peace this term, and playing a tough balancing act of sabre-rattling and behind-the-scenes attempts at cooling heads on Iran that borders on wholly irresponsible. So I can't realistically see him as bending over backwards any more than Obama has on these issues, going any further would mean a real shooting war and I think he's mainly talk on these issues.

But to answer your question, his policies are likely not too different from Obama on most issues, even though he needs to find greater contrast with Obama than is really there in order to campaign against him, just like Obama did with Bush, promising lofty changes that he subsequently backed down on repeatedly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 05:59 am
@sozobe,
Oh dearie, dearie, me.

Shocked
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 11:05 pm
I don't know about his policies, but he apparently got his strategy from Monty Burns:
http://www.rubinreport.com/post/18461168370/mitt-romney-is-clearly-modeling-his-campaign-after

Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 11:15 pm
@hingehead,
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 11:26 pm
Baseball 'mitt's' for every one...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:46 am
Quote:
Mitt Romney...what are his policies?

Does not matter....he is a shape-shifter, they will change constantly with the wind.
Procrustes

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 03:03 am
@hawkeye10,
At least that's one thing we can be certain about...
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 06:31 pm
It's kinda terrifying how close the race was in Ohio. Romney barely beat Santorum by 1 percentage point. Ohio has a ton of electoral votes and has been pivotal in the last few elections. I'm a little worried that so many people in a northern industrialized state would vote for a right-wing lunatic like Santorum. When you look at the map, Romney won Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati... the places that matter.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:08 am
@jcboy,
Why thank you! Very Happy (I'm in Columbus.)

The very good news in Ohio is how low the turnout was. What matters most is not whether Ohio votes for Santorum or Romney but if they vote for Obama or the Republican nominee in November. And the indicators there were good.

A lot of Santorum's votes were from Democrats, too. Does that mean they actually thought he was the better option, or that they preferred that he be the one who runs against Obama because Santorum's easier to beat?

I'm thrilled that Santorum did that well, because it keeps Romney focused on the primary. That means a few things:

1) With Santorum nipping at his heels, Romney has to keep tacking to the right to win the nomination at all, which makes it harder for him to then turn moderate again during the election.

2) Romney has to keep spending money hand over fist -- he's proven that the money advantage is his main advantage. And he is already running into money problems.

3) Romney has to dispatch Santorum/ Gingrich before he can pivot to Obama, so the longer the primary goes on, the shorter the general election campaign is.

4) Related but slightly different, the longer there are viable Republican candidates in the primary field, the longer their attacks on Romney are in the news and being viewed.

I still think Romney is the most likely person to become the nominee, but I'm rooting for Santorum to drag this thing out as long as possible.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:47 am
Meanwhile, re: Romney's policies, just read this:

Quote:
Romney has taken to framing his campaign in part around the goals of "less debt" and "smaller government." These are central themes to his candidacy, and yet Romney’s actual proposals remain mysterious at best, unworkable at worst. The former governor has not only refused to say how he would cut federal spending, he’s explicitly ruled out two of the biggest expenditure categories: defense spending and Medicare, where he’s declared that he’ll reverse cuts made by President Obama.

We don’t know how Romney will cut spending. But we know how he won't.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/03/07/the-mysterious-mr-romney

(Much more detail in the full article.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 06:53 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
What are his CURRENT deeply held convictions, though?

For a Repub, is he far right, right, centre, or left of centre?

He strikes me as a big business sort of Republican. The kind who is more concerned about the interests of the wealthy than about social conservatism.

On social issues, his views during elections seem to be whatever best panders to the current crop of voters, no matter how extreme or how moderate. When he was governor though, his social policies were more pragmatist than idealist.
hingehead

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:04 pm
Found on facebook

Kids spell 'Romney' wrong in one of the great freudian slips.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/64632_10150700571251083_598386082_11592523_228991957_n.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:16 am
@oralloy,
Interesting.
roger

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:20 am
@dlowan,
Sadly, I think oralloy is right.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:20 am
@oralloy,
That Romney could have a "deeply held conviction" is the basis for a joke.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 04:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Mitt looks like the nexMitt Romney...what are his policies?

Mitt's policy right now is to win the GOP nomination, no matter what he has to say to do it.

His whole approach seems extremely calculated and designed to navigate conflicting political waters.

Any maybe that by itself is a good qualifying skill for a president????
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:17 am
http://www.newyorker.com/images/covers/2012/2012_03_12_p154.jpg

Quote:
It happened more than a quarter century ago, at the start of a Romney family summer vacation. But the tale of Seamus, the Irish setter who got sick while riding 12 hours on the roof of Mitt Romney’s faux-wood-paneled station wagon, is ballooning into a narrative of epic proportions.

It has come to characterize the candidate — and not in the favorable way Tagg Romney hoped for when he first talked in 2007 about his family’s annual road trips.