Mitt Romney...what are his policies?

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 09:20 am

The bottom line:

Romney as president would be a huge improvement over Obama as president.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 09:50 am
Pretty good op-ed about Romney here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/opinion/brooks-the-crowd-pleaser.html

Last paragraph:

Quote:
If Rick Santorum weren’t running for president, he would still be saying the same things he is saying today. Very few people believe that about Mitt Romney. If he can’t fix that problem, he may win the Republican nomination, but it won’t be worth much.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:23 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
What are his CURRENT deeply held convictions, though?

For a Repub, is he far right, right, centre, or left of centre?

He's wherever the crowd he's taunting...I mean, speaking to, is. If they're up in arms over something so is he, if the next audience finds that same matter to be a good thing, then so does he.

Romney wants a win, doesn't care how he gets it...in many ways it's similar to the muttonhead (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/muttonhead)currently in the White House. No real convictions that he will voice and stay with. Oh, he may have some; but, for his own political future he won't stay with them unless at least a majority of Congress is with him. They go the other way, so will he.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Romney wants a win, doesn't care how he gets it...in many ways it's similar to the muttonhead (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/muttonhead)currently in the White House. No real convictions that he will voice and stay with. Oh, he may have some; but, for his own political future he won't stay with them unless at least a majority of Congress is with him. They go the other way, so will he.

Spot on!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:58 am
@sozobe,
Ha! Just came here to post the same link and the exact same quote.
sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
@DrewDad,
Smile

Meanwhile, here's Mitt in his own words, today.

http://news.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/mitt-romneys-cpac-speech-in-full.php

It's a lot of "Obama sux" and "I'm conservative, I swear!" For example:

Quote:
This country we love is in jeopardy. It’s more than the economic statistics we read, it’s the pain we feel in our hearts. For three years we have suffered through the failures not only of a weak leader, but of a bankrupt ideology. I am convinced that if we do our job, if we lead with conviction and integrity, that history will record the Obama Presidency as the last gasp of liberalism’s great failure and a turning point for a new conservative era.

Quote:
As we step forward together, now is the time to reaffirm what it means to be a conservative and why this must be our greatest hour. America is like no other country in history. At the very heart of our American conservatism is the conviction that the principles embodied in the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are uniquely powerful, foundational, and defining. Some see the hand of Providence in their authorship. Others credit the brilliance of the Founders. Many of us see both. But conservatives all agree that departing from these founding principles is a departure from the greatness of America— from our mission, from our freedom, from our prosperity, and from our purpose.

I know this President will never get it, but we conservatives aren’t just proud to cling to our guns and to our religion. We are also proud to cling to our Constitution!

Quote:
This election really is a battle for the soul of America. And it’s going to come down to a choice between whether we want to be a nation of and by Washington … or a nation of and by a free people.

(Oh god.)

Quote:
I know conservatism because I have lived conservatism.

Quote:
During my tenure, our conservative values also came under attack. Less than a year after I took office, the state’s supreme court inexplicably found a right to same-sex marriage in our constitution. I pushed for a stay of the decision, fought for a marriage amendment to our constitution, and successfully prohibited out-of-state couples from coming to our state to get married and then go home. On my watch, we fought hard and prevented Massachusetts from becoming the Las Vegas of gay marriage. When I am President, I will preserve the Defense of Marriage Act and I will fight for a federal amendment defining marriage as a relationship between one man and one woman.

Quote:
And let me be clear: Mine will be a pro-life presidency.

Quote:
I will ensure that organizations like Planned Parenthood get no federal support.

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:28 pm
@sozobe,
One more on Mitt and CPAC, a tweet quoted on the Dish:

David Corn wrote:
Santorum #CPAC introducer opens w/ joke: A conservative, a moderate, & a liberal walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Hi, Mitt."

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/tweet-of-the-day.html
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:32 pm
@sozobe,
We gotta stop reading the same blogs, I was just going to post that joke!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:36 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Mitt Romney...what are his policies?
IMO Romney is a slightly right of center mirror image of Obama.

Obama knew exactly what to say to appeal to his base to get himself elected and then he proceeded to take primarily left of center pragmatic actions.

Romney is doing something very similar except he's not as good of an orator so he's having trouble getting his base enthusiastic. But I think that will come around a bit better once he's into the general election.

Neither Romney or Obama are ideologues, they are both pragmatists just slightly on opposite sides of center. Neither one is likely to make any major changes to the status quo.

IMO any major changes to the economic and governmental problems within the US will have to start with changes in Congress, not with the President. And the main problem which needs to be addressed is the affect of $MONEY$ (primarily through lobbying) on Congress people. Until that changes, nothing will really change.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 01:40 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
what are his policies?

Why should it matter? I mean, what could Mitt Romney possibly be thinking about doing which would cause as much harm as simply throwing four trillion dollars away for the absolute hell of it??
DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:06 pm
@gungasnake,
I don't see why a discussion of George W Bush is relevant.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:09 pm
This may help. It has quotes from him on:

Foreign Policy Gun Control Budget & Economy Education
Homeland Security Crime Government Reform Civil Rights
War & Peace Drugs Tax Reform Abortion
Free Trade Health Care Social Security Families & Children
Immigration Technology Corporations Welfare & Poverty
Energy & Oil Environment Jobs Principles & Values

http://www.issues2000.org/Mitt_Romney.htm
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:29 pm
I think I will vote for Mitt in the primary. But not in national the election.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:32 pm
@Setanta,
That's a good post.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It is very likely that the composition of the Congress will not dramatically change. The enthusiasm of the teabaggers which allowed the Republicans to take over the House in the mid-term election seems to have waned, so the composition of the House probably will not change dramatically.
Also it should be noted that there is essentially no difference between the parties when it comes to the level of influence lobbying $dollars$ have on them. So the real "core" problem (IMO) will not change no matter which of the parties takes over.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:11 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, Boss.

I agree completely, Roswell.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:23 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I don't see why a discussion of George W Bush is relevant.

That would make a great signature line for Ci, Izzy and others that blame GW for everything.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:44 pm
@H2O MAN,
or for the spurt who wishes to forget that GWB is where the big Recession started and all the while he denied it. BUT SPurt conveniently likes to forget the Bush speeches about "how the fundamental of our economy are strong" Johny McCain tried to use that and he got it stuffed up his ass.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:46 pm
@farmerman,

Formeman, go clean yourself up, you've got a little spurt on your face again.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:55 pm
@H2O MAN,
speaking about "sucking off', Romney was doing his best blow jobbery on the CPAC today