roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:01 pm
I just saw a headline in the newspaper. Eighty-four National Guardsmen have been called up for a tour in - now get this - Egypt. I should have bought the paper and read the story, but didn't.

What next; Tierra del Fuego?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,321 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:01 pm
@roger,
I should add, that's 84 from Farmington, NM.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:09 pm
@roger,
I have an associate that left for Afghanistan just as they were announcing everyone was coming home.

it's a crazy game they play...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:28 pm
It ain't over until it's over.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 10:38 pm
@roger,
Perhaps the current political problems in Syria are prompting this?
roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:06 pm
@Ragman,
I don't know, but kind of doubt it's Syria. A few weeks ago, invasions of US and ngo offices was in the news. There might be a relationship there, especially if it got worse. Mostly, I guess I'm just surprised that I haven't heard a word about it.

By the way, after seeing that in the laundromat, I mentioned it to a woman I see around from time to time. She knew. In fact, her son was one of the ones mobilized. He is excited if I understood her right. She is definately not, at least not in a positive kind of way.
Irishk

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:28 am
@roger,
This is a normal rotation to the MFO, the Multinational Force and Observers. The MFO watches the border keeping the terms of the treaty. It is a one year rotation.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2472334.shtml?cat=519
roger

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 11:31 am
@Irishk,
Thanks. Your research is peerless. This probably made the local paper because it is big local news.
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 05:33 am
@roger,
Farmington releases its collective held breath.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 11:26 am
@roger,
Could this be the reason? BBB

Americans Take Refuge At U.S. Embassy In Cairo
by The Associated Press
January 30, 2012

A U.S. State Department spokeswoman says a number of Americans whom Egyptian authorities have been barred from leaving the country have sought refuge at the American Embassy in Cairo.

Kate Starr told reporters in Washington on Monday that a "handful" of Americans are at the embassy waiting for permission to leave Egypt.

Egyptian authorities banned at least 10 foreigners, including six Americans, from leaving the country during a criminal investigation into the work of their U.S.-funded organizations. Those banned included Sam LaHood, son of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, but it's not clear if he's among the Americans at the embassy.

The move has heightened tensions between Cairo and Washington and called more than a billion dollars in U.S. aid to Egypt into question.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2012 01:42 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Could be, but I did understand it to be a peace keeping deal. The ones from Farmington are part of a military police unit, by the way. I'm kind of thinking there are several different situations going on at the same time. The added complications are not reassuring.
0 Replies