Anyone know what this pastry is?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:58 am
@Linkat,
And this sounds like it - the variation recipe...http://www.colavita.com/recipesArchive/recipe.cfm?id=392
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:00 am
@Linkat,
Yaaaaaay!
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:02 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah - the more popular bakeries don't have it - Mikes and Modern Pastry - usually that is the case - the smaller places in the North end tend to be the best.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
osso wrote ,

Quote:
I'm still looking up bienenstich recipes... found one I generally like, but it uses vanilla pudding in the filling part, not a honey custard (which I found in some other recipes that I didn't particularly like the photos of..). So maybe I'll have to combine recipes, using a different one for the filling.

even in germany it is difficult to find a true bienenstich . during our last trips to germany i've been disappointed to find that vanilla-pudding had been used as a filling ... is nothing sacred ?

we had a german baker/konditor who made a true bienenstich in a town close by - he retired Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:51 am
@hamburgboy,
I'll look again a little later. When I looked in google images, both for bienenstich and for bee sting cake, more of the photos on bee sting cake had recipes in english, and I found (or think I did) at least one that used custard and honey in the recipe. (I could be confused as I also looked on google web...) My next ploy will be to look at german recipes on the bienenstich photos and google translate a few...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:10 pm
@hamburgboy,
That's so true! In the small town where my brother lives, they have a bakery that makes superb Bienenstich - to die for!!!

No vanilla pudding or custard allowed though!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:24 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:28 pm
@Linkat,
Here's a possible recipe - keep reading, as first it tells you what it is not.

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m092701.htm

Turns out that crispelle come in many forms, basically a crepe dough used different ways. Most of the google images on it, with their recipes, involve savory fillings.. but there are some that show how to make the divisions.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah that is just like the recipe I added on with my link ---- but maybe I will just take a drive to the north end in Boston instead. Seeing I work in south Boston - just parking is a b---ch in the north end.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
Sorry, I didn't see the recipe with your link, duh.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:40 pm
@ossobuco,
No problem - I'd rather be over-reciped than under.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:47 pm
Another possibility are Wandies.

http://wandiesbypina.com/bakeryWandies.JPG

The recipes sound very similar.

Thin Wandies

12 eggs
4 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup melted butter
2 tsps salt
14 cup baking powder

12 cups all-purpose flour (purpose)
1 qt oiled (frying)
2 cups sugar (dusting)
1 Heat oil in deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2 In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and melted butter until well blended. Mix in the salt and baking powder. Gradually stir in flour with a wooden spoon until dough is stiff. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead in as much flour as necessary to make a smooth stiff dough. Dough should not be sticky. Roll the dough out paper thin and cut into 3 inch squares.
3 Fry in the hot oil, turning once until golden. Drain in colander and place them into a waxed paper lined bushel basket. Dust with confectioners' sugar when cool.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here are the Uncle Phaedrus versions:

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0510M04.htm#4

They're also known as Angel Wings if the fried dough strips are formed into a circle with the ends folded into the center so they look like wings.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes the pastry shells are very similar although no honey and walnuts. Gotta have those that whats makes it so yummy
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:01 pm
@Linkat,
The uncle phaedrus site that we gave did mention honey and walnuts.. that was listed in the variation.

I'd probably add some ricotta, but who knows.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 01:12 pm
@ossobuco,
yep that one had the variation with the honey and walnuts...
0 Replies