CNN: Giffords to Resign from Congress

BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, footnote when the vote down get so large it started to make you wonder if once more someone is not in fact making up false accounts to do the voting.

Of course there are one hell of a lot of people who do not and can not do any real thinking for themselves on this website and just follow the very dumb herd around so who know for sure.

The US founding fathers had fear and contempt for the unthinking mob and I am beginning to understand those feelings or at least the contempt part.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Where were you in the last of Ronny Rayguns term as president?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:44 pm
You know Hawkeye looking at the very large voting numbers both up and down I am smelling a dead rat more and more and it might be a good idea to ask Robert to look into if his silly voting system is once more being rig.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 06:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
argue consistantly that women are unfairly advantaged in this collective, which is most certainly not an approved opinion. This divience from dogma is too much for some to deal with....they fall to the vapors....

It not that simple however as anything that harm men as group also harm the majority of women who are in relationships with a whole universe of males.

Be those men lovers/husbands or brothers or sons or uncles.....

I can not see how the anti-males and men fearing fireflies of the world get away with as must nonsense as she and her kinds does when it come to this subject.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:14 pm
@BillRM,
Furthermore, I believe that gender inequity is demoralizing to all eventually. I don't buy the story that long ago when women were not treated fairly that the men got off on that state of affairs as the feminist version of history cliams.
Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 07:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
And yet, still nothing on the men who missed work...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

And yet, still nothing on the men who missed work...

Has there ever been a male CongressCritter who took a year off before now? Like in the entire well over 200 years that we have had a Congress? Enquiring minds would like to know....maybe this is a stunt that only a woman would pull.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:29 pm
@Ceili,
So it is your position that when a major major news story bring this issue to public attention we should ignore the question of whether she should had resign sooner or not because in the past men had been in similar situations and it was not a matter of great public discussion or concern???????

The matter this time was a national news story and the men condition was not for reasons that have zero to do with the sex of the people involved.

First if it been a man instead of a woman that was shot and cripple by a mad man surviving against the odds and happen to be married to a good looking astronaut I do not see how people would feel different including Hawkeye.

I do not see off hand what the hell the sex of the congressperson had to do with the matter one way or another!!!!!!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 08:42 pm
@Ceili,
I've been trying to find good material on the net giving some reasonable prognosis for how much recovery is possible for Giffords.

Given the caveat that each response to such a wound is different, I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything they think to be truly informed discussion of her chances?
firefly

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Has there ever been a male CongressCritter who took a year off before now? Like in the entire well over 200 years that we have had a Congress? Enquiring minds would like to know....maybe this is a stunt that only a woman would pull.

If you bothered to read the info that others posted, you would find there were male members of Congress who were considerably less functional, and absent more, than Giffords was. Among other things, you are ignorant of history.

And she didn't take a year off, when her vote was really needed, on the debt ceiling matter, she showed up and cast it. She also kept her Congressional district offices open and serving the needs of her constituents.

Referring to her time away from Washington as "a stunt" really reveals your deeply negative feelings toward this woman, quite apart from any phony concerns on your part for the alleged interests of her constituents. You are substituting your personal biases for true debate. You made a lousy case for your side of the argument, and I've already disputed every issue you raised. You earned all those thumbs down.
firefly

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:44 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I've been trying to find good material on the net giving some reasonable prognosis for how much recovery is possible for Giffords.

I don't think it is possible to ascertain the extent of her eventual potential recovery right now.

I read somewhere a comment from another member of Congress, who is her friend, that it might take another 3-4 years for her to recover her speech ability to a level closer to where it was before the brain trauma, but whether that will happen, or is even possible, remains to be seen. She does not seem to be regaining the ability to use her right arm or hand, but her walking has continued to improve. We actually know very little, at all, about what her cognitive deficits might be, other than people saying that she appears to have no problem understanding things said to her.

Each injury is slightly different, and her medical records are confidential, so I doubt you'll find much reliable info or a truly informed discussion of her condition and ultimate prognosis. The people actually treating her and following her progress aren't at liberty to speak about it publicly.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:01 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
If you bothered to read the info that others posted, you would find there were male members of Congress who were considerably less functional, and absent more, than Giffords was. Among other things, you are ignorant of history.
I have read the thread, and I can find no information regarding anyone in history missing 99.9%+ of the votes over a years time as Giffords did. Do you have even one name of a Congressman for me?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
By calender year Giffords missed 98.5% of the votes in 2011. Next highest was 27.1%. So lets make this challenge easier....name one CongressMAN who in the history of the US Congress ever missed 98.5% of the votes in a calender years time. I am confident that there is no such man to be named. I dont think that a man would ever do it, a man would put country first, if he could not do the job he would step aside .

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/31/us/politics/attendance-records-in-the-house.html?ref=congress
failures art

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:26 pm
I think of the examples presented the most relevant is Strom Thurmond. If he was ill and perhaps not of sound mind, yet present (not vacant seat so it's okay), I think the idea of how a district is properly represented is not a measure of a seat having an ass in it.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:34 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I think of the examples presented the most relevant is Strom Thurmond. If he was ill and perhaps not of sound mind, yet present (not vacant seat so it's okay), I think the idea of how a district is properly represented is not a measure of a seat having an ass in it.

A
R
T

Bullshit.....getting no vote means getting no representation. There was cobbled together an informal process so that her district would get their pork, which kept the people more or less OK with getting no representation, but this should not have been allowed. I submit that getting represented perhaps poorly as might have been the case with Thurmond at the end is better than getting represented not all all, which was the case for the AZ-8 for a year.

THe challenge still stands.
failures art

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
You'll not get much sympathy out of me hawk. You'll remember, I actually don't have congressional representation, and instead of pork, DC gets used as a poker chip to settle negotiations come time to send bills through. You won't convince me that a near vegetable in a chair Thurmond is better than an absent Giffords.

All you're saying is that Giffords should have been wheeled in, and an assistant place her hand on the voting button like Thurmond for her to get your approval.

What's the phrase you used? Color me skeptical.

I can't find any -8 posts of yours. I only found a -10 post. Perhaps you're confused.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:55 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
You'll not get much sympathy out of me hawk. You'll remember, I actually don't have congressional representation, and instead of pork, DC gets used as a poker chip to settle negotiations come time to send bills through. You won't convince me that a near vegetable in a chair Thurmond is better than an absent Giffords.

DC is one of the best local economies in the nation because it is the seat of the massive US Federal Government, the one that does not feel any need to pay its bills, and thus borrows 40% of spending. They have lots of money to spread around, and they sure do, much of it in DC....most of the rest of America feels like a recession, but not DC, you boys and girls have plenty of money to spend.

The lack of representation in Congress is however an outrage, you are right about that.

Quote:
I can't find any -8 posts of yours. I only found a -10 post. Perhaps you're confused.
OMG, you think that I have invented some real time vote tracker that can get around Roberts freezing out of the edit function after 10 minutes (or what ever he has it set to these days)! Thanks for the compliment but while I am smart I am not that smart, at least about computer coding.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:42 am
@hawkeye10,
I used to think of you as a reasonable person but you have turned into an H2O asshole.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:47 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I used to think of you as a reasonable person but you have turned into an H2O asshole.

In other words you have no rebuttal to the points that I make, but you none the less dont like the points that I make. Got it.

If I was unreasonable you would be able to easily shred my argument, but you cant can you.......
roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 02:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe he thinks your 'arguments' don't merit an acknowledgement, let alone rebuttal
0 Replies