I have a tucan in a tree in my front yard should I do nothing?

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I wonder what the person thought to his/her self if they seen this bird fly away. I know what I would have said, There goes a few $ 1000,00
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:36 pm
sounds like you have an african gray parrot Smile
Rockhead

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
when my former wife's bird flew away, I said thank flippin' god.

until she sent me up the tree for it...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:45 pm
@shewolfnm,
Looks more like a scarlet macaws
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
U r not showing us enuf pictures of him.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Do a search they all look very similar.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:15 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I have a large bird that I know nothing about and was curious what you all thought I should do.

Wow!

I guess you could start a discussion about how illogical it is to suggest that just because you do not know...you actually can acknowledge that you do not know--although then you would have to explain why you have already done so.

But on a serious note...I hope you manage to get the bird rescued somehow...especially if it is a toucan. They are a tropical or sub-tropical bird and will not long survive unprotected outside that kind of environment.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
He 's in the house, Frank.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Thanks, David...I did miss that in the comments. Obviously I was intent on commenting on RL's original comment rather than in reading the balance of the thread.

Everything sure happened very quickly (less than 6 minutes from the tree to inside the house)...and I agree with your comment that it is "remarkable."
rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Looks more like a scarlet macaws

If you post a [decent] photo and I'll be able to identify it.

And I still think you should call the local vets to try to identify the owners.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Thanks, David...I did miss that in the comments. Obviously I was intent on commenting on RL's original comment rather than in reading the balance of the thread.

Everything sure happened very quickly (less than 6 minutes from the tree to inside the house)...and I agree with your comment that it is "remarkable."
Well, u see, the farmer mentally commanded him
to enter RL's place, so that accounts for that.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think it was the loud music that led the bird to my house. I am guessing that the owner was a lady and played the same song and the bird was familiar with that song.
The bird said mama after we put it in the cage, my wife was there. I wander if it thought that my wife was it's mama.
The bird did not seem happy when me or my male neighbor reached close to it.
My wife never tried to reach for it so I do not know what the response would have been.

My neighbor said that it was a scarlet macaw and when I looked it up it looked identical to the photos on line.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:34 pm
@rosborne979,
The Vets will be called but I want to see if I get any responses to the signs that are out. The local vets were closed when I tried to call yesterday. I am kid of afraid to say what kind of bird it is to anyone because anyone may try to claim it as theirs because of its value.

I am also leery about telling the vet what kind of bird for the same reason. I will try and see if anyone reported a missing bird to animal control.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
Good thinking, RL.

Best to let anyone who has lost a bird identify the kind of bird they lost...rather than allow someone to simply take advantage of an opportunity.

The "mama" thing tugs at my heart. The bird may very well be feeling loss...and my guess is there is an owner somewhere feeling the same thing.

Good luck getting the two back together.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

The Vets will be called but I want to see if I get any responses to the signs that are out. The local vets were closed when I tried to call yesterday. I am kid of afraid to say what kind of bird it is to anyone because anyone may try to claim it as theirs because of its value.

I am also leery about telling the vet what kind of bird for the same reason. I will try and see if anyone reported a missing bird to animal control.

I understand your caution, but I think there's a higher probability that you will encounter an honest vet who wants to help a customer than a dishonest vet who wants to steal a parrot (for someone else).

Your signs are also a good idea.

And again, if you want to post a photo I can probably identify the species for you.

Good luck.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:58 pm
@rosborne979,
I will try and get a photo but I do want to wait a little while before I post a photo of it.
Can you tell me how to post a photo on this sight as I have not been able to do it in the past and never asked anyone how to do it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 01:42 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I think it was the loud music that led the bird to my house. I am guessing that the owner was a lady and played the same song and the bird was familiar with that song.
The bird said mama after we put it in the cage, my wife was there. I wander if it thought that my wife was it's mama.
The bird did not seem happy when me or my male neighbor reached close to it.
My wife never tried to reach for it so I do not know what the response would have been.

My neighbor said that it was a scarlet macaw and when I looked it up it looked identical to the photos on line.
Well, since he speaks English,
I guess u can ASK him what he is.
" Pardon me, Sir. R u a scarlet macaw ?? "

However, u shud not exhibit inordinate interest in this question,
or he might accuse u of being a racist.

David
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 03:28 pm
The owner of the bird called today and identified the bird so the bird should be at home with his owner by now. Very Happy
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
Great. Happy for you...for the owner...and for the bird.

I'd be interested to hear about the meeting when the owner comes for the bird...the reaction of the bird to the person.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear about the meeting when the owner comes for the bird...the reaction of the bird to the person.

Yes me too. I just got home and have not spoke to my neighbor that was taking care of the bird.

My wife called me at work and said that someone 4 houses down about 1/2 mile away called her and positively identified the bird in great detail.
0 Replies