Some days require earthquakes

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
I've been in three earthquakes.

The first was on the day that I discovered my boss was really my mentor, a kindred spirit, a split-apart.

The second was on the day that five week old Little Mo was sent to the hospital because he was having trouble breathing.

I've been walking around today expecting an earthquake.

My beloved companion, my familiar, The Ancient One, the real Boomerang died this morning.

I've known and loved many animals but without doubt, Boomerang was the most magnificent beast. One of those rare cats that will sit perfectly still and let you adore her. Expect you to adore her. And everyone who met her did.

We read in bed together each night for the last 20 years. When I'd turn out the light she'd curl atop my head like a great purring hat. She'd demand a little petting by pulling at my hair with her teeth.

When we lived in Tulsa she chatted with squirrels, in Galveston she trolled the beach begging for scraps from vactioner's picnic baskets, in Chicago she taught the alley dogs their place. In Portland, she mostly slept and let you adore her.

This cat and I lived together for all of her life and nearly half of mine. The only other constant of that duration is Mr. B, who gifted me with Boomerang as one of his first tokens of love. As he wrapped me in his arms and cried over that damn cat with me today I know that that love endures.

This love note doesn't serve any other purpose than to pay tribute to a very special animal that really embodied the most gentle side of me. Thank you for reading and for providing the space to indulge my meloncholy. And please, watch out for earthquakes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,264 • Replies: 26
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
So sad to lose an old friend. I'll help watch for earthquakes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:40 pm
Crying or Very sad
{{{{{{hug}}}}}}

joe
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
A very touching, a moving tribute, Boom.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:43 pm
Sorry to hear of your loss Boomer.

Sometimes a pet is just soooo much more than "just a pet".

((hugs))
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:47 pm
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Boomer and Mr B)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
I'm so sorry, boomerang.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:14 pm
So sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved cat of 18 years in 2002.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:33 pm
Oh, boomer. Both of you. I'm so sorry.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:38 pm
Thanks to all of you.

The sympathy of animal lovers has great healing qualities.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 08:50 pm
<sniff>

I think I just felt a love earthquake here.

((( Boomer and her Mr. B )))
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:28 pm
That brought tears to my eyes, B. I'm so sorry. I must go find a kleenex now. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 09:29 pm
Maybe it wasn't an earthquake, but I definitely felt a heart-ache. I'm so sorry Boomer.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:08 pm
Boomerang, I am soooo sorry ... I was bawling reading your tribute to your beautiful friend.

I just can't imagine your pain, and I can't imagine being without my kittens, but someday it may happen!

Hugs to both of you, and know your little pet is in heaven:)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:29 pm
Dear Lord....

Please watch over our humans, they are so weak.
They have no claws or teeth; they can't run fast or fly away, neither can they burrow or build a nest in which to be safe. They smell bad, do strange things that aren't altogether intelligent, have no real ability to communicate with us, although we are able to figure out what they want.

Lord, grant us the ability to watch over our humans, care for them, cheer them when they are down, make them laugh, smile, and shower them with our love.

We pray that we can bring a little joy in to their otherwise mundane existence.

Lord, please let them know that when we insist on getting attention, it is so we can check their emotional well being and boost their morale. When we pester them for different foods, toys, etc., it is so they will learn to see us in ways they had not considered, bringing them closer and back into the fold..which they are part of but keep forgetting about. They expect us to know what they want even though sometimes they don't know what we want. Some of them really try and we know they love us but some of them do not yet know that our love for them remains intensely unfaltering.

Lord, when we die, please make sure to send us ahead to wherever our humans are going to be, so we can pave the way for them, vouch for them and be there for them when they too die....

Please allow us to continue proving the humans are worth the effort. You placed these humans in dominion over us, but you charged us with the task of caring for them and showing your love to every one of them. God bless these mere mortal humans, they know not that we are their Guardian angels sent in love to task them so that they may grow to be part of your plan.

You and Us God... we'll bring them back into the fold... You and Us.

Author Unknown
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 01:39 am
I'm so sorry for your loss Boomerang ((((((((hug))))))))
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 05:30 am
boomerang, what a loving tribute. Thank you for sharing your memories of a wonderful friend.

Rae, I've never read that before; it speaks so eloquently of what all of us who share our lives with pets feel.

Thank you both. Sleep well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:17 am
Boomerang--

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 07:29 am
My heart goes out to you. Crying or Very sad
Thank you for sharing this loving tribute to your dear companion.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:19 am
Thanks all.

I'd never read that before, Rae. It's really lovely. Thank you for sharing it with me.
0 Replies