A2K fills my cache to overflowing every time I come here.

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:30 am
Every time I leave,I have to empty it. Sometimes it gets too full while I'm here, in which case,the site ceases to work for me. I know I have to minimize AOL, and go and clear it. Sometimes I have to reboot my computer., after emptying cache. Sometimes it is so full that I have to click "empty" 3 times, before it is at zero.And this is daily-any time I come here!
I believe my cache holds about 1,3-something. After a short time at A2K, the thing is registerig in the 5,00s.
And today it was in the 7ks.
Anyone know why,or how I should manage this? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,992 • Replies: 20
No top replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:35 am
i think i'm having the same problem but am not savvy enough to even know where to go to empty my cache...
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:48 am
To empty your cache: If you are using Netscape, go to Edit - Preferences - Advanced - Cache.

In IE, go to Tools - Internet Options, then you can delete files and cookies.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:49 am
thanks, i'll try that chatoyant
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:31 am
I delete my cache and history at least once a day, more if I am on a surfing binge. One of the best things that I did for my computer is upgrade my RAM from 128 to 384. The difference in performance is amazing. You can go to:

Link to Crucial

They ask you some Qs so that you can figure out which RAM card is right for your computer, and what is the maximum that your computer will accept. You can buy the cards there, or see if you can get a better deal at a discount house. It is not a difficult thing to do. Just make sure that you are grounded.(touch the metal case when you are installing the RAM). If you don't, you could destroy the RAM card.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:49 am
Also, you can change the setting for the size of your cache - not in AOL, as I am on AOL and I do not have that problem. I do however, have Norton's SystemWorks and run their CleanSweep application every time I turn on the machine - which cleans out cache and other flotsam and jetsom from the internet. Try increasing the size of your cache. Go to the Help menu for Windows. I don't think the setting is in your BIOS, but it might be.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:32 am
There is absolutely no need to clear out your cache in most situations. If your cache is set at 7k or something it's so low that almost any page would fill it. Maybe it's 7MB? That's low too (I use about 16,849 MB and a good amount is between 100 - 500
MB).

This site souldn't act any different from other sites in regard to the cache (cache is cache is cache, there's no difference, this site doesn't need to be cached). If you are having problems then it is a setting on your computer that you need to change. Additionally when your cache is full there should not be any problems. Caches are always going to fill eventually and they aren't supposed to cause any problems and when they fill they don't even need to be emptied (it should just stop caching or start overwriting old files in your cache).

If your cache is that low you should increase it. As long as your hard drive isn't lacking in space it's good to keep a large amount available for your cache (it will make pages load more quickly).

If you are using the AOL broiwser than you should try not using it. It's the worst way to surf the net that was ever devised.

You can try logging on to the internet with AOL, then opening IE and using that to surf.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. This site doesn't need to be cached to work, and if you have to empty while surfing and even reboot there is something wrong on your puter that needs to be fixed/changed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:38 am
As Craven said: start internet via AOL, browse with IE or netscape (I'm always doing such).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:55 am
Well, I'm kind of glad to know, since I've never emptied out my cache. (Thanks Chatoyant for the pointer so I know!)

Occasionally I lock up, but my computer has been acting up anyway. I turn off my email, that seems to help a lot.

I wonder if it is a bandwidth thing?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:58 am
I just thought of this:

Maybe you are speaking of your memory caching and not the internet cache. If so, this is just an issue of low RAM.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:27 am
CDK I am often bumped off the site and this is not a problem I have on other sites with the exception of Yahoo when I am playing bridge. What causes the site to log me off automatically?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:42 am
I have no idea what bumped off means. If you mean that you need to log in again it means that you are not selecting a cookie (by checking the box when you log in) or your settings are refusing the cookie.

If so, then your session will last 5 minutes.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:44 am
Where is the cookie I am supposed to select?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:49 am
When you log in, there is a box you check to remember your login.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:06 pm
That must be it I have not been checking that, thank you CDK.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:06 pm
Craven-THANKS for your attention. I'm gonna try setting my cache size higher.So wierd, because I've never emptied my cache much in all the 2 years with this computer (maybe something IS wrong. Maybe time for new laptop!)
To be more factual, the thing is part of AOL Systeminfo. Utilities.
Browser cache. The max size is154677KB. I emptied it last thing last night. I log on today, come here-and it's up to 269446KB already.So peculiar.And, BTW, no visable option to change browser cache size. I am a complete computer ignoramus.
I'd love to use Explorer, but would it make a difference to my browser cache?I think AOL still runs the show?
(And how do ya DO that?)

When the cache gets very overfull, after I've say, posted, on A2K, I'll click "submit"?And whack!-I'll be out on the street!Maybe back in my email. Or if I've browsed a thread, and use the "jump to" function, click, then whack! Outta A2K.

Mikey-if you're AOL, you can empty your cache by clicking
Start
Programs
AOL system Information
Utilities
Here you will find the illustrious browser cache.

If anyone is getting booted from A2K for no reason, it is worth emptying BC.

Thanks again, Craven.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 06:15 pm
To use IE just open it up after logging on to the net (through AOL).

AOL is a very buggy browser and I don't think this is related to a2k (mainly because ther's no reason for this site to tret the cache any differently).

I might not be able to answer your questions over the next few days so one of the other techies here will have to take it up.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:00 pm
LOL!Your avatar!!!!!!!!!!(I won't ask!)
Yes, Craven,I'm sure it is AOL and not A2K which is causing the problem. I can tell, since nobody else is having the thing happen.Although there ARE plentyof AOL people here.
So maybe it is AOL and MYcomputer which are acting weird here.Phoenix empties cache every day, and I will do the same.
Small price to get to play at so groovy a website!

Have a good time away.
And Craven, I'm sure you mean some other genius here, not just techie!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:29 pm
Well, Joannie baloney, I'm neither, but until the next one ambles around the corner, I'll put in my two cents worth. Although AOL tries to be the boss in all things, it is not your operating system, which is the real boss. If I remember correctly, you have a windows OS. Unless you already have Internet Explorer 5 or 6 on your computer, you should go to Windows Update and download version 6, and the service pack(s) that came after that version's release. Using the Help feature in WIndows, a reference book, or one of the online sites about IE, you should increase the size of your internet cache, as Craven suggested.

After you log onto AOL, you should minimize AOL windows so that you are back to your desktop, click on IE icon to open it up, put in your address for the web site you want to go to, and click go. Or, you can even make A2K your home page on IE and A2K's main menu page will automatically come up.

You should be OK. I have been doing it this way and have had no problems.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 07:30 pm
And if you should decide to get a new laptop, can I have your cast off one? I want to be a couch potato as I surf. LOL
0 Replies