Not sure why they would own this

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:40 pm
@jcboy,
The Nylons.

those are MY boys. I first saw them perform live on the roof of a nightclub here in Toronto back in the late 1970's. They were an amazing a capella group. There is still a group performing under that name occasionally - I think 1 original member sometimes is part of the group.

I used to go and see them perform live in an outdoor venue every year for my birthday. Loved them dearly. A later colleague of mine designed the jackets they're wearing on this album cover.
jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:42 pm
@chai2,
I may check around. I thought we had a holocaust museum somewhere close to here. If so I will donate it if they want it.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:53 pm
@ehBeth,
hehehe I never heard of those guys until today.

I found about fifty albums. One is of the Rolling Stones and the album cover has a real zipper on the cover.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 04:56 pm
@jcboy,
Well, I used to know jewish people who would never ever ever buy a german car, but also some who have bought mercedes and bmws for what I take as personal reasons such as "I'll show you". I'm not jewish so I can't speak for individual jews or anyone else but I shied away from things german for years, possibly typical for people my age and place, but I'm decades over it, from reading about and knowing germans. I don't mean I shied away from things nazi, I mean anything german. That's part of a long life, sometimes, that you change your mind.

Maybe your father was somewhere on that continuum.

This is also part of how I can see people in other places strongly resenting or hating u.s. americans, that I held resentment to another place myself. But I know we aren't all pond scum, and neither were they.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:00 pm
@jcboy,
I have that one..
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:18 pm
@ossobuco,
He said he’s ready to get rid of everything that belonged to his parents except for photos, I think he’s going to regret it later but it’s his decision. I would want to keep them, well maybe not the Nazi gravy bowl.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:21 pm
@jcboy,
That's 'Sticky Fingers'! It is classic Rock & Roll!
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:22 pm
@jcboy,
Hey, I'm a vinyl lover and still own a turntable. Let me know if I you don't want those albums.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:23 pm
@Ragman,
Sticky fingers? Smile today was the first time I had heard of them. We can't play the albums because we don't own a record player.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:26 pm
@MMarciano,
Well, we should talk as I enjoy and play vinyl. Can we talk about this?

Is it first time that you've heard of that album or the Rolling Stones?
0 Replies

ehBeth

@MMarciano,
Looks like jcboy's dad had good (and eclectic) taste in music.

Vinyl's on the comeback for music lovers. It might be worth cataloguing what's in there and finding out if individual items or the collection have value.
ossobuco

@MMarciano,
Well, I got rid of things from my parents that I'm sorry about, years later. Couldn't I have kept at least one of my father's pipes? That was so 1940's, and so him. But people vary on all this.
All I'll suggest is a sort of rest stop, where one puts things to give away or sell, and let that set of boxes sit for a while, perhaps into definitely toss and maybes.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:28 pm
@Ragman,
I don't think they would play, he's had them boxed for over five years, somer are not in very good condition.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:30 pm
@MMarciano,
You can never tell..but if they're all loose and scratched up it's pretty unlikely, but if they're in their album jackets protected, they'll be most likely playable.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:44 pm
I found this photo of my mom, I think I was about ten years old. Trying to remember who the guy is in the photo with her.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6459/1000169l.jpg
chai2

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:50 pm
@jcboy,
Que bonita!
jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:54 pm
@chai2,
Okay I remember now, this was a surprise birthday party for my dad and the guy is his friend Keith. I haven’t seen Keith in five years now.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 05:59 pm
@MMarciano,
I talked to Bob (Dyslexia) about my albums, which have possibly undergone some heat in transit, and he was fairly positive about them at the time (I moved in December) and in storage (there, there may be a problem). I too still have a turntable, at the cheaper end of the line of Bang and Olufsen, from the days when turntables were about to disappear. I set it up with some very small but not totally horrid speakers back in my last home town, and the albums still sounded good to my ear. I should set it up again, lazy woman.
Albums just at house temperature now, all with covers.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:02 pm
@jcboy,
Lovely, Morgan, really lovely.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2012 06:03 pm
@ossobuco,
My 300 vinyl records (and counting), they're all playable.Some are 50 + yrs old. Most have always been stored upright in their jackets and played and cleaned properly. Any those that weren't (due to heat exposure, scratches but not scuffs) got tossed. Bad TT stylus, heat, oil and dirt are vinyl death.