Is Amazon Prime worth it?

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 12:48 pm
I'm considering signing up because now they have a lending library for Kindle users. The selection of books looks pretty good.

They also have free movies and TV shows but the selection looks kind of crummy. I don't order many physical objects so the free shipping doesn't grab me.

But $80 a year is pretty cheap.

Does anyone have Amazon Prime? Have you been satisfied with it?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 12:57 pm
@boomerang,
I've got Amazon Prime, which is a lot cheaper here than in the US, but doesn't have those features you mentioned and want.
And I've got it only for the free and fast shipping (If I order before 6 pm, I get the books etc the next morning)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm
@boomerang,
I got it as some sort of a promotional thing way back in the day. It was free at the time. I'm not actually certain if that promotion was supposed to continue in perpetuity, but I'm not going to inspect this gift horse's mouth too closely.

I did recently think, as Amazon box after Amazon box arrived around Christmas-birthday season (all three of us have birthdays within about a month), that I'd be willing to go ahead and pay for it if I had to.

Their free shipping (with Prime) plus fast delivery is really useful.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:03 pm
@boomerang,
You can only get one book a month on kindle from Amazon Prime. If you aren't using the shipping option or the streaming option, that ends up being kinda pricey for getting 12 books a year that you don't own.
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:14 pm
@parados,
Well that's dumb!

I got an email about the "lending library" thing, thought it sounded interesting, made me consider a Kindle in fact. Just went in search of fine print and you're right:

Quote:
The book currently being borrowed can be read on multiple Kindle devices, as long as they are registered to the same eligible account, but cannot be read on Kindle reading apps.

One book can be borrowed at a time, and there are no due dates. You can borrow a new book as frequently as once a month, directly on your registered Kindle device, and you will be prompted to return the book that you are currently borrowing.

If you have already borrowed a book in that calendar month, you are not yet eligible to borrow a new book until the next calendar month. There is no “roll-over” or accrual of unused borrowing eligibility.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=koll_help?nodeId=200757120
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 01:30 pm
I'm not much into owning books anymore. I gave most of mine away a couple of years ago. I don't want Mo or Mr. B ever forced to wonder what in the hell to do with all of my stuff, I got sick of dusting them, the were taking up tons of space, etc., etc., etc.

The average price I've paid for Kindle books is $13.00, one a month at that price would be nearly double the Prime membership price so it kind of pencils out. I really more worried about selection -- finding things I actually want to read from the list of available books.

The only books I buy anymore are photo books and books for Mo and he really prefers reading them on Kindle than on paper.

They are offering a one month free trial and I'll probably take them up on it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:15 am
Long Kept Secret, Amazon Says Number Of Prime Customers Topped 100 Million
Great movies from the Amazon Studio and so much more great stuff on their streaming service; free shipping on thousands of items? Amazon Prime is a resounding YES IT's WORTH IT!
0 Replies