Jewish attacks prompt Israeli debate: 'Who's a terrorist?'

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 12:47 pm
December 15, 2011
Jewish attacks prompt Israeli debate: 'Who's a terrorist?'
By Sheera Frenkel | McClatchy Newspapers

YITZHAR, Israel — A young man calling himself Yehudi Tzadik — "righteous Jew" — picked up a rock and rolled it around in his hand, as if considering pitching it at a police car parked nearby.

Within sight was a mosque in Jerusalem that was torched and defamed Wednesday with graffiti that included, "Death to Arabs." Tzadik claimed he knew some of the group that was responsible for the attack, though he added that he wasn't there when it happened.

"The state of Israel has lost its moral code. It has forgotten what is at the heart of the Jewish nation. ... We are reminding them," said Tzadik, who gave his real name only as David.

A spate of attacks this week by Jewish right-wing extremists has called into question Israel's definition of the word "terrorist," and has prompted security officials to acknowledge the separate rules of engagement they've created for Jews and Palestinians.

Those rules were highlighted when a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, Brigadier Yoav Mordechai, was asked whether a soldier should open fire on a Jewish person who was throwing rocks, as soldiers routinely do with rock-throwing Palestinians. Mordechai answered, "I assume ... you wouldn't expect the brigade commander to open fire at a Jew standing in front of him. I am certain you didn't mean that."

Palestinians routinely are arrested and convicted of stone throwing, one of the most popular forms of resistance to Israel's presence in the West Bank. According to the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem, over the past five years Israel's military has detained more than 800 Palestinian youths and children after they pelted rocks at Israelis soldiers, jailing and interrogating many of them.

While there are relatively few known cases of Jewish settlers throwing rocks, Israeli military officials in the West Bank acknowledge that they're on the rise. One young woman was arrested Tuesday after throwing rocks at a Palestinian vehicle, and several men were detained on suspicion of throwing rocks in the southern West Bank.

Yet Israeli officials said that few of the arrests had led to indictments or court judgments. Earlier this year, a half-dozen residents of the northern West Bank settlement of Yitzhar were arrested in connection with attacks on Palestinians. They were ordered to remain outside the West Bank, but they weren't brought to trial.

On Thursday morning, Israeli soldiers destroyed several structures in a small outpost adjacent to Yitzhar. Israeli officials had ordered the buildings demolished because they'd been built on private Palestinian land, but their demolition had been delayed repeatedly.

Jeremy, a resident of Yitzhar who wouldn't give his surname, said he viewed the demolition order as a declaration of war by the Jewish state.

"What is it if not war? It's a declaration of war against the settlements and what we stand for," he said. "How would you feel if they came and kicked you out of your home in the middle of the night? Would you not want to defend your home?"

Yitzhar, which is on a hilltop adjacent to the Palestinian city of Nablus, is widely considered the heart of the "price tag" movement, a name given to the practice by right-wing settlers of exacting retribution against Palestinians or Israeli authorities for policies that target the settlement movement.

On Thursday, graffiti was sprayed across a military base and popular bus stop down the road from Yitzhar. The graffiti read in part, "The military are pigs," "IDF are Nazis" and "Yitzhar will live on forever."

Outside the de facto Palestinian capital of Ramallah, police blamed right-wing Jewish extremists for an arson attack on a mosque — the second attack on a mosque in as many days, after the one in Jerusalem.

Several Israeli public figures expressed their outrage at the recent wave of violence, with Defense Minister Ehud Barak saying that Israel should classify the perpetrators as terrorists.

"These things both endanger human life and distract from the Israel Defense Forces' main mission," Barak told Army Radio. "In terms of their conduct, there is no doubt that this is the conduct of terrorists — terrorism, albeit Jewish."

Israel's Justice Ministry announced that it had convened a meeting Wednesday to discuss its classification of terrorists, and some officials are urging that Israel broaden its meaning of the word.

Former Defense Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer said Israeli soldiers "clearly" should open fire on stone-throwers, branding them as terrorists regardless of religion.

Settler leader Danny Dayan condemned the attacks but took exception to the use of the word "terrorist."

"It's a grave phenomenon that has to be battled, but I don't know if it's terror," he told Army Radio.

Tzadik bristled at Dayan's remarks, saying Dayan didn't represent "all the settler movement."

"We don't care about punishments because we have the support of our true leaders," he said, referring to religious leaders.

He pointed to a "manual" recently published on the Hebrew website Jewish Voice, which presents, in a tongue-in-cheek manner, a list of possible steps to sabotage the Israel Defense Forces: "The engines of vehicles, especially armored vehicles, are highly sensitive to sand or sugar. The same is even more true about the vehicles' oil and gas tanks. Carelessness about that could do serious damage to the unit's ability to carry out destruction, just because of a little inattention, wouldn't it be a pity?"

Tzadik said the manual was nothing new, but he acknowledged that opposition from "righteous Jews" was becoming better organized and more popular.

"We are a huge number, and our supporters live in every city. Soon the state apparatus will realize it is better not to cross us because we represent the true Israel," he said.

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/15/133231/jewish-attacks-prompt-israeli.html?storylink=MI_emailed#ixzz1goqU8kE6
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,623 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 03:22 pm
The State of Israel was founded on terrorism. My aunt was a British Army nurse stationed in Palestine in 1947. At the time it was a British Mandate. She had finished her tour of duty and was in a bus going to the port to embark on a ship to come back to Britain. A group of Stern Gang terrorists threw grenades into the bus full of women and killed several. My aunt had an arm blown off. Just read the early history of the post-Mandate state to see what they did to Arabs.

JTT

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 07:57 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
The State of Israel was founded on terrorism.

That's not clear in a large number of minds due to the incessant propaganda leveled at heads filled with, with, with who knows what. The historical record clearly points to who the real terrorists in the world are.

For A2K, it took a brilliant 13 year old girl to get a large number of "adults" to actually think.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2011 02:03 pm
Who Invented the Palestinians

It's Fayyad Who's Ignorant, Not Gingrich
Posted by FresnoZionism.org, December 12, 2011

Here are a few quotations from a recent interview with presidential candidate Newt Gingrich:

I believe that if somebody is firing rockets at you, they are probably not engaged in the peace process. I believe if somebody goes around and says you don't have a right to exist, they're probably not prepared to negotiate for peace. I think if someone says they wanna wipe you out, you should believe them.

I think we're much more likely to see an Arab winter, than we are to see an Arab Spring. The fact is that when people point out that of the 1,200,000 Christians who were in Iraq when we arrived, 700,000 have fled the country. That doesn't strike me as a success. When you know that Coptic Christians who have been in Egypt for 2,100 years are now being persecuted and having their churches burned, that doesn't strike me as a success. I think the Israeli Defense Minister said the other day that he's very concerned about the Muslim Brotherhood's success in this recent election.

Remember, I think 15% of the seats went to people who are more extreme than the Muslim Brotherhood…

So, I think there's a lot to be concerned about, and whether or not the Arab world is going to evolve now in a very negative, probably very destructive, way.

…you have Abbas who says in the United Nations, "We do not necessarily concede Israel's right to exist." You've had four PLA ambassadors around the world say flatly, "Israel does not have a right to exist." In late November in India, the PLA ambassador said "Anybody who thinks there is a big gap between Hamas and Fatah is kidding themselves." You know, and so you have to start with this question "Who are you making peace with?"

I believe that the Jewish people have the right to have a state, and I believe that the commitments that were made at a time…remember there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire. And I think that we've had an invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, and were historically part of the Arab community. And they had a chance to go many places. And for a variety of political reasons we have sustained this war against Israel now since the 1940's, and I think it's tragic.

Well, I think it's delusional to call [the Oslo process] a peace process. I mean, we have an armed truce with a Palestinian Authority that's relatively weak. And on its flank is a Hamas authority which may become relatively weak, because it can't deliver anything. But both of which represent an enormous desire to destroy Israel. And I think unless you start with…and frankly, given their school system and the hatred they teach in their schools, often with money that comes from us through the United Nations, I mean I think there's a lot to think about in terms of how fundamentally you want to change the terms of debate in the region.

Say what you will about Gingrich as a viable candidate, but you cannot say that he doesn't understand the Middle East and particularly the Israeli-Arab conflict.

The quote about the "invented Palestinian people" has stirred up the expected hornet's nest. For example, Palestinian PM Salam Fayyad called his remark "cheap and disgraceful":

Responding to the statements of Gingrich, Dr. Fayyad stated that "the Palestinian people inhabited the land since the dawn of history, and intend to remain in it until the end times", and added that "people like Gingrich must consult history as it seems that all what he knows about the region is the history of the Ottoman era".

Perhaps Gingrich's tone was insulting, but historically he was not incorrect. Ridiculous Palestinian claims that they are descended from ancient Canaanites notwithstanding, most of the ancestors of the present-day 'Palestinians' arrived in the region along with or after the expedition of the Ottoman governor of Egypt Muhammad Ali into Syria in the early 1830′s. Rebellions and famines in Syria brought waves of Arabs into Palestine in the 19th and 20th centuries. And of course British and Zionist development brought even more Arab immigrants.

While Palestinian Arabs were mostly united in their opposition to Jewish immigration (although there were exceptions), specifically Palestinian nationalism probably did not exist before the first decades of the 20th century; interestingly, at first most nationalists were Christians rather than Muslims. Arab inhabitants of Palestine often insisted that the area was actually 'southern Syria', and identified as 'Arabs' and not Palestinians.

This changed with the founding of the PLO in 1964. Arab residents of the former Palestine Mandate became the 'Palestinian people'. And in truth, the regional wars and terrorism, their indoctrination by every means possible into a culture based on one main principle, hatred of Jews and Israel, their incarceration by the Arab nations and the UN in 'refugee camps' where they are bred like farm animals in order to incarnate a weapon of mass destruction for use against the Jewish people — all this has finally made them a people. What kind of people is another question.

Nevertheless, it is Fayyad who is ignorant of history, not Gingrich.

0 Replies