All the many ...isms

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
There's empiricism, reductionism, rationalism, historicism... the list goes on.

Some thinkers are portrayed as either or, those who follow the ideas of one are often in a perpetual quarrel with those who follow the ideas of another.

But is it really that black and white?
For instance, I have a hard time seeing how a reductionist approach to a problem can be only that, and not contain some aspects of holism, which is often regarded as that particular ism's counterpart.

I think that relativism cannot function without some ideas that are considered fixed, almost like temporary axioms. Not quite absolutes, but still not considered relative to whatever the relativistic approach seeks to shed light on, if not for any other means that communicating it. In another context those "temporary axioms" may be invalid, as the core belief is that everything is relative.
Similarly, how can absolutism function without at least some dynamic relation between the perceived components of a given subject?

I get the impression that some view themselves as reductionist, some as rationalists and so on. But wouldn't it be more beneficial to the progress of one's work if one were able to incorporate all these methods of thinking rather than just favor one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 733 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 08:45 am
@Cyracuz,
Ok... the lack of responses makes me think I'm missing something important...
Or is it just a boring subject?
Oh well...
Smile
JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:10 pm
@Cyracuz,
Not boring at all. I just encountered the thread. I'm not ready to make a contribution, but I do have almost an innate disdain for isms--or systems of thought--because they tend to be exclusive, to close themselves off (as you've suggested) from valid and useful possibilities. Always I prefer the middle way. My rejection of Absolutism, for example, is it ignor-ance of Relativism. And a relativism that sees everything ONLY with respect to its relations to other things tends to overlook the genius or value of each unique thing. Yin-Yang is a very valuable metaphor. Each requires the other. If I want to touch Absolute Reality (and that's not just an omnicompetent propositions such as sought by Einstein) I rest in Silence and embrace my Ignorance.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:25 pm
@JLNobody,
It's probably related to Nietzsche's perspectivism, the many isms being various ideations?
JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:42 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, but don't you think he also meant something more comprehensive, even omnipresent? Ideational variations occur across different personalities as expressions of differing perspectives.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 10:42 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, but don't you think he also meant something more comprehensive, even omnipresent? Ideational variations occur across different personalities as expressions of differing perspectives.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 07:58 pm
@JLNobody,
I don't know enough about perspectivism to know if it was intended as a criticism towards ideation and the way one perspective can close you off from another, or if he intended to show that a much more comprehensive understanding could be achieved by not adhering to rigorously to one perspective.
It seems to me that, as you say, a combination of any ism and it's counterpart allows for a "better" understanding.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, Nietzsche felt that the more perspectives we can bring to a situation the better we can understand it. He was nothing if not broad minded, the king of relativism.
0 Replies