6-year-olds working in gold mines in Mali, says Human Rights Watch. Would Newt Gingrich approve?

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It's called history Thomas. Republicans push and push to deregulate everything via a death by papercuts. One regulation at a time. One regulation here then another. It happened with our recent bank crisis over the past three decades and why wouldn't happen in the case of labor laws?

I have no problem saying "no" to Gingrich's proposal for those reasons. I do have a problem with painting Gingrich as the Antichrist for proposing it, and with BBB's hype about children in mines getting poisoned with mercury.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:47 pm
@Thomas,
Sometimes in takes hyperbole to get people to listen where without it apathy fills in the vacuum of these not so glamourous political issues.

How many people would have looked at the thread's title (sans the Gingrich association) and then saw BBB's name and would automatically thumbs down the thread?
jcboy

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 07:21 pm
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5287/newts.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 09:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
How many people would have looked at the thread's title (sans the Gingrich association) and then saw BBB's name and would automatically thumbs down the thread?

I'm not good at this kind of market research. Speaking for myself, I have thumbed down threads of BBB's, even put her on "ignore" temporarily. Whenever that happened, it was because of, not in spite of, her sensationalism and her unfiltered copy-and-paste dumps.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 09:45 pm
@Thomas,
I would have looked at it.
I somewhat agree with Gingrich but I fear the regulation could get hysteric for good reason and not, in time, fix anything. Am open to bring the age down with some ifs.

I was a kid actress for minutes at a time, and had some social services to the set to see that I kept being educated (these were for a few commercials). I was in a movie, American Working Women, nobody watching me, but I got a new dress I hated. In school in the chicago area, the teachers and my parents thought I would be good to help clean up the kindergarten - true. I was confused but sort of liked that, I was twelve, and soon after came down with scarlet fever, somehow from that, quarantine for a few weeks, so I got to listen in my room to some classic serial radio programs of the time and not stress my little self. Well, scarlet fever is no joke, but I missed the bad part.

I agree with those who think this could be good and get those that think this is one more road to misuse of children.

I went to work on the day of my sixteenth birthday and didn't stop for near 50 years. I am not any genius and had trouble getting through university working a ton of hours plus taking busses. But I'm not a child in Mali, for sure.

Any of you met a person from Mali? I have. Not a low ranking person though.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:00 pm
Of course. I am going to refrain from publishing the remainder of my thoughts.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 10:07 pm
@plainoldme,
em?

You are insinuating something that I don't immediately get. Explain.
0 Replies