Give me your tired, your poor, your dessicated

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 04:59 pm
garlic cloves. The bulbs that have turned from fat garlic cloves to multiple thin remnents with a wormy green thing. What to do? What to do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Use a garlic press. (No sliver of edible garlic goes to waste in any household of mine!)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Boil them with your kale?

Before raw garlic became a terror for me, it never lasted long enough to go bad; so, I got no idea.
Mame

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:32 pm
I chop them up and put them with a bit of oil in a jar in the fridge when I think I won't be using them for a while. Sometimes I freeze them. I freeze leftover tomato paste, minced ginger, lemon zest, etc. Very handy.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:41 pm
@Mame,
Me too, like minds.
Mame

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Yup, thought so when I met ya.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a hereditary lack of sense of smell, but not completely. I can smell some stuff, and garlic is one of them, but probably not as much as regular people. Let's say I like it. I stopped off in Gilroy one time, went to the garlic store (too much money for too little) and went across the street to an antique store (too much money for too little) where I asked if I could and photo'ed the old guy with the cat and then later made a moderately big painting of that. So Gilroy is still in my living room.

Gilroy is now different than when I went through there in younger days - now it's all developed.

Here in lameland - that is a reference to groceries - the fresh garlic is peaking to dessicated when it first appears, at least at my store. Criminy.

I read about caramelizing garlic and blink with memory.

Tell me stories..

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
PLANT THE GODDAM CLOVES. Maybe some will grow for ya. Its that time of year to plant garlic in NM

When you have too much garlic, packem in EVOO and chill. when theyre all used up, even the EVOO has a nice garlicky aroma to use in salads
Green Witch

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:27 pm
Cut in half and remove the green sprout - it's bitter. In the future, buy fresh as possible then chop and freeze.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
True? I learned that producers gassed the grocery store stuff (whatever) in some way so you can't grow from them - gotta buy from a feed store or nursery. Maybe that is different in PA.

Don't ******* yell at me, farmer.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:33 pm
@ossobuco,
if they are growing green tops then they arent fully cobered with the anti sproting agent. Which I still havent learned of what its made. Maybe I dont wanna know.

They used to spray ashit with bismuth chloride (which always contained arsenic in the olden days before they learnt how to clean it up)
Mame

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, you have to buy them from a nursery. And while you're at it, why not plant some onions? I'm eating the ones I grew this year - yum. I also grew kale Smile
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
So if it's sprouting I can plant it? I see the store stuff as all whoofed somehow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 06:41 pm
@Mame,
Rolls eyes. I am all for nurseries, you don't want to hear about it, I could go on for hours and potentially will.. Presently not easy to get to them.

But glad you agree with re buying the sets at a nursery.

Signed,

Chard girl.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 07:01 pm
@Sturgis,
kale, garlic, lemon = good
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
I came across a blog called Cold Garden Warm Kitchen when I was trying to figure out what to do with some garlic scapes last summer.

http://coldgarden.com/Cold_Garden_Warm_Kitchen/Cold_Garden_Warm_Kitchen_Home.html

A number of recipes look good, at least to me. One, in particular, is a recipe for Slow Simmered Sprouted Garlic Sauce, here:

Slow-Simmered Sprouted Garlic Sauce

1. 3 or 4 heads of garlic – they don’t need to be sprouted – about ¾ cup chopped
2. 1 cup oil – half olive oil and half grape seed or canola works well.

To break apart the garlic, put a head on a cutting board and press hard on it with your palm until the cloves loosen. You can also bang the head with a rolling pin, the bottom of a pot or the flat side of a knife. Pull apart the cloves.

Put the flat side of a knife on the cloves one at a time and smack the flat of the knife with the palm of your hand to flatten the clove a bit (you can also do this with a pot bottom if you’re nervous about the knife.) The dry skin of the garlic should now peel off easily.

When all the cloves have been peeled, cut the root end off each clove and discard, then chop the garlic. It doesn’t need to be too finely chopped; chunky is good.

Letting chopped garlic sit for five minutes before cooking with it allows a chemical reaction to occur that releases even more nutrients from it. While the garlic is fortifying, warm up a small pot over medium-low heat and then add the oil to it. When the oil is warm, add the garlic.

Keep the heat low and very gently simmer the garlic for a half hour or so, until it is very soft. The garlic should not brown, though it may color a little.

You’ll be left with delectable garlic oil and butter-soft garlic, a combination that can be used in hundreds of different ways. Store what you don’t use immediately in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed jar.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 07:34 pm
@mckenzie,
They chop the green bit?

I don't hate bitter, generally, as much as many, but I've always tossed that - so you simmer the green bit too?
mckenzie

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know if you're meant to toss the green sprout, but I didn't. Mind you, my garlic was just beginning to turn and the green sprout wasn't visible until the cloves were peeled.
0 Replies