Is it time for Cig Smokers to Move to Black Market Product

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 04:56 pm
So the FDA is working on the governments next move in its long march towards making cigs practically illegal with out ever making them technically illegal, ideas on the table include mandating fewer cigs per pack in order to make them much more expensive by way of the taxes, or take the nicotine out so they become in effect like drinking a non alcoholic cocktail. I am thinking that it is time for users to bite the bullet and accept that they are now for all practical purposes classed as illegal drug users, and as such they should no longer put forth the niceties of allowing themselves to get reamed in the ass on price for inferior product that is sold legally, that they might as well get cheap good **** on the black market and take their chances with the law.

Are you a smoker? Are you ready to give up on legal tobacco products? Do you think that assuming that you live long enough and refuse to stop smoking that you are going to end up on the black market?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 4,488 • Replies: 52

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:06 pm
Or bite the bullet and make the rest of us think you actually may be a human being after all, and finally just stop smoking the damned things?
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:09 pm
as an ex smoker there is nothing i love more than the smell of a fresh lit cigarette

unfortunately black market cigarettes are crap smelling compared to legit ones (at least the ones i've been exposed to in canada)
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Or bite the bullet and make the rest of us think you actually may be a human being after all, and finally just stop smoking the damned things?
If you want to force people to stop smoke then have the balls to be honest about it, by making them illegal. This routine of "they are legal, but we need just a few more rules to protect the SAFETY! of kids and non smokers gets a little long in the tooth after a few dozen times of trying the ruse.

Last week the UK launched their latest effort...apparently they are going to try to make it illegal to smoke in a car, kids involved or not, non smokers involved or not. They are having trouble trying to run the SAFETY! scam argument on that though, so maybe we are close to admitting that the anti smoking forces are not interested in the safety of kids or non smokers, that what they really are after is imposing their will on people who choose to do things that they dont like. It shan't be long before they come after people like me...Firefly is already itching to measure a cell for me for refusing to stick to the line in the sand on sexual politics that has been drawn by the victim culture do gooders.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:12 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
unfortunately black market cigarettes are crap smelling compared to legit ones (at least the ones i've been exposed to in canada)
This is easy to fix, if we can get pot quality as high as it is now on the black market then we can distribute tobacco successfully this way as well.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
tweaking the strength of pot is a much different task from curing and processing tobacco, with pot it's basically hybridization and some easy to disguise growing techniques, growing huge fields of tobacco, curing and drying it in smoke barns is a bit more conspicuous, tobacco is very susceptible to mildew, it would be very hard to grow in an enclosed area using hydroponic techniques
Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Try and find a tobacco seed... Easier to find pot seeds. IMHO, mind you they don't grow the tobacco anywhere near this province.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:25 pm
@Ceili,
i've got about 20 right now, my neighbour was growing some, it's a pretty cool plant actually, really tall and leafy with clusters of pink flowers
http://www.tobacco-facts.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tobacco33.jpg
i'm going to grow some next year in the garden
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:36 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
it would be very hard to grow in an enclosed area using hydroponic techniques
Why?

I think that the only real problem is getting the right additives for the tobacco, the 50 or so secret ingredients that the good tobacco companies put in their cigs. I figure that we should be able to get something close from the Chinese or the Indians, import the additives, grow the tobacco local, dry and then mix. Rolling is a pain in the ass but with modern technology easily doable.
djjd62

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
it's a big plant, the leaves are what you want so you need the plant to be full

tobacco is a pretty big crop about 2 hours from where i live, i see the plants, i think they'd be much harder to grow in a covert operation, it's interesting that many farms in the area started growing ginseng a number of years back and have produced some high quality stuff that is much sought after in china
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:49 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Try and find a tobacco seed... Easier to find pot seeds. IMHO, mind you they don't grow the tobacco anywhere near this province.

Hell, I'll send anyone some if they want. Tobacco is dead easy to grow and the fresh stuff is miles better than the crap you get in packages.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 05:59 pm
It's easy to grow in any place with a decently warm summer. However, you will not get the same "high" from homegrown that you get from commercial brands, which are basically spiked and cultivated for maximum nicotine. Smoking, like all addictions, is a form of slavery. For someone who claims he is all about freedom I find it amusing that Hawkeye is a bitch of the tobacco industry.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 06:07 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Smoking, like all addictions, is a form of slavery

1) not all people are addiction prone

2) addictions are only a problem if they either degrade your life or if you cant get a steady and cheap supply

3) the benefits of the addiction often are greater than are the problems

4) it is my right to be addicted if I so choose, you do your clean living if you want but leave me the **** alone if I choose not to go that way.

5) we are now very close to treatments that allow people to easily get off of a tobacco addiction when ever they choose, so your argument that addiction to tobacco is slavery is Bull ****.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Spoken like a true addict. But yes, it is your right to be addicted to cigarettes as they are legal. Just don't do it near me and I promise I will in no way try to prevent you from enjoying your addiction. Philip Morris loves guys like you because you can't help but make them rich.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:19 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Spoken like a true addict. But yes, it is your right to be addicted to cigarettes as they are legal. Just don't do it near me and I promise I will in no way try to prevent you from enjoying your addiction. Philip Morris loves guys like you because you can't help but make them rich.
I have never smoked cigs, in fact all I have ever smoked are cigars ( well, pot and hash to0 if we are counting that) , and for the last half dozen years only a few a year and mostly as a "**** YOU!" to the anti smoking zealots. But I do support those who want do like to smoke, and I hope that in return they will support my right to **** a lot of women, to tie them up and to spank them.

You see that same tolerance from me in the hopes of tolerance in return in the arena of ideas and speech. I want people to say what ever they want, what ever they think the truth is...if they turn out to be reprobates I will deal with that later. Conversation depends upon honesty and an atmosphere of truth telling, and maintaining a useful conversation is much more important than is punishing people for "wrong thoughts".

As I have pointed out in other threads, I am a heretic of the first order.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:09 pm
I thought we were already in a black market situation with Indian Reservation cigarettes. If you keep driving the price with taxes, a black market is inevitable.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:16 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I thought we were already in a black market situation with Indian Reservation cigarettes. If you keep driving the price with taxes, a black market is inevitable.
There is already a big black market so far as some states are concerned with traffickers buying cigs in low tax states and reselling them in high tax states. The high tax states are pissed and are beginning to raise the sanctions to near pot selling punishment, another indication to smokers that they are increasingly being considered to be illegal drug users.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I've often thought that a new company should start making cigarettes, call them coffin nails and then refuse to take any part in the tobacco settlement or accept any restrictions on advertising. Unless the Supreme Court is going to agree Congress has special power to regulate tobacco they would be able to sell at significantly lower than existing tobacco companies.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 09:24 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I've often thought that a new company should start making cigarettes, call them coffin nails and then refuse to take any part in the tobacco settlement or accept any restrictions on advertising. Unless the Supreme Court is going to agree Congress has special power to regulate tobacco they would be able to sell at significantly lower than existing tobacco companies.
With the twist that they sell bulk tobacco, and some nifty rolling machine. I am so sick of the tobacco corporations playing nice with the government, acting all guilty for selling their legal product. **** that, if the government insists upon criminalizing cigs then make them do it above board, dont cooperate with their deceit.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 10:12 pm
You know the old saying, "Your right to swing a fist ends at my nose". As far as I'm concerned, your right to smoke ends at my nose. I spent forty years at the whim of cigarette smokers who felt it was their goddamned right to smoke anywhere they wanted, as much as they wanted, and **** you if you didn't want to breathe their foul-smeling carcinogenic smoke, or come out of a night at a club smelling like a month-old unemptied ashtray. My rights were trampled for forty years, so I have zero sympathy for the oh-I-am-so-pput-upon smokers who are suddenly forced to realize how antisocial their behavior really is and has been for a number of smoke-shortened-lifetimes of the people who've had to breathe their ****. If you want to smoke, fine, don't do it near anybody else. Death Valley would seem to be the appropriate place.