German lawyer wants to re-locate to the USA

Marjcob

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:40 pm
My fiance lives in Germany. She is also licensed to practice law in the UK. When we get married, she will become a citizen of the US, and a resident of N.C. What does she have to do to practice law in N.C. ? And if it is too strenuous in this state, is there a state that is easier and then, is there some sort of reciprocity where she can transfer to N.C. eventually?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,171 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 10:16 pm
@Marjcob,
Here's a link to the North Carolina Bar Association.

http://www.ncbar.org/

Here's their contact info. Email or telephone them to get the information directly from the source.

Contact NCBA @:

8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, NC 27513
(919) 677-0561
1-800-662-7407
[email protected]
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:58 am
Actually, the admission process for new lawyers is administered by the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners. An applicant for admission must take the North Carolina bar exam, which combines a state section and the Multistate Bar Exam, along with the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE). The next bar exam is scheduled for February 28-29, 2012. The application deadline for the February exam is January 20, 2012.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:03 am
@Marjcob,
Marjcob wrote:
And if it is too strenuous in this state, is there a state that is easier and then, is there some sort of reciprocity where she can transfer to N.C. eventually?

North Carolina has "reciprocity" with a number of other states, which means that a lawyer licensed to practice in another state can bypass the normal application process (which involves taking the NC bar exam) and simply petition to be admitted to practice in NC. North Carolina, however, requires a lawyer to be admitted in his/her home state for at least four years before reciprocity will be extended to the applicant. In other words, if a lawyer is admitted to practice in another state for less than four years, that applicant would need to take the NC bar exam in order to gain admission to the NC bar.
0 Replies

Marjcob

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 09:50 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks guys.... I don't know where she got her information, but she told me that in North Carolina she had to go to 2 years of law school and then pass the bar and a whole process of things.
Considering that she has been successfully practicing as a lawyer for over 12 years now, it would be very discourageing for her to have to start over again like an intern or something.... Quite frankly, I don't blame her.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 08:19 pm
@Marjcob,
Normally, a candidate for admission to the bar must be a graduate of an ABA-approved law school. I don't know how NC handles applicants who graduated from foreign law schools or practiced in another country. The best thing would be to contact the NC Board of Law Examiners.
0 Replies