Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:31 pm
I do, somewhat, but not the way those interested in the food world mean by the word, which has to do with picking bits and pieces from the landscape at large. (I forage in my refrigerator and at thrift shops and hardware stores (what can I use this for?) and, in years past, my own yard; have eaten blackberries from trail edges, so good. Not what they mean.) It's best done with a knowledge of what mushrooms are a poor choice to eat, and, I think, advice from people who have foraged before you.

Neat article - to me - by a favorite writer of mine, Jane Kramer, who is not particularly a food writer as a general description but likes and knows food.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/11/21/111121fa_fact_kramer?currentPage=all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,396 • Replies: 42
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Ive foraged before foraging was cool. A friend and I always can be flound , in the spring, hunting for morels. We have our special sites and times for optimal cropping. Morels are super choice of the shroom family. Also ramps in the spring. The whole family used to go up to the blue mountains for highbush blueberry picking and along our fence rows for wild blackberries.
In Maine, we go after mussels and clams.

I read the article and was surprised at how much people seem to have forgotten in a few decades
roger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:56 pm
I never set out to forage, but sometimes I'll nibble on a few leaves of lamb's quarter. We have Mormon tea around here, but it's uncommon enough that I would feel guilty chewing on it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I used to forage for wild mushrooms regularly when I was living in the woods up in New Hampshire. Here in Hawaii I don't know which local species are edible so I don't take that risk. But I do forage for locally-grown bananas in the areas where some old farm has been abandoned. You'd be surprised how well those trees continue to produce after the hoomin' beans have left. I don't make a regular practice of foraging and don't intend it to be some kind of "green" statement. I just don't like to see perfectly edible food go to waste.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:21 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah.
My fear is it'll all be taken as more yuppie foofoo when it is interesting for the rest of us.
Reminds me of an article I read maybe three years ago about a cook in Turkey, in the area across from Istanbul, whatever that is called. That guy, who had a small cafe, was very into local plants for food. Don't remember where I saw the article, too bad, but in his way he was similar to Redzepi. Just a guy, but very exploring.

I liked the bit about the tourists missing him - kid with a bicycle, wrinkled shirt. I'm one of the last remaining humans who rather likes wrinkled shirts.
jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I don’t for myself but I do for the tortoises, they live on a strict diet. Every now and then I pick a piece of cactus from my neighbor’s yard down the street, the tortoise love cactus.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:26 pm
@roger,
Never tasted either..

can you say what lamb's quarter tastes like?
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
We used to always go 'blackberrying' when I was a kid but those paddocks have all been built on now and you can never be sure that blackberries along the side of the road haven't been sprayed. Luckily I have a friend with a lot of blackberries on her property so my kids haven't missed out on the joy of blackberry pie ...and all those prickles.
I'm not sure if it counts but my husband once brought home an octopus that he find on the rocks down at our beach. We were eating the damn thing for a week.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:31 pm
@jcboy,
Oo0h, grow some Opuntia ficus indica... (prickly pear)..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe a bit like spinach, only with a slightly salty taste. Truely, it's better in salads than spinach, but I don't actually harvest it. It's just kind of a munchie, and only worth picking in spring or very early summer. Edible the rest of the time, but it gets tough and bitter.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:39 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Never had any experience with octopods. But we did forage at the sea-shore for mussels at Hull, MA, when the tide was out. We were warned of 'red tide' and all that stuff but, properly prepared and steamed, those li'l mollusks were absolutely delicious. We'd pick up buckets of them when no one was looking. This was back in the '60s and '70s.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:40 pm
@roger,
Ya, I gather prime time passes for leaves, re bitterness.

Even bitterness is a question - I often don't mind bitterness, can enjoy it, whereas I've had several friends who don't tolerate it, are near enraged by it. But even I admit it does take over.

I'm not the best taster, probably the worst, with close to no sense of smell. I insist I can taste a lot of differences but I'm not much of an identifier, say, re wine nuances.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:42 pm
@MonaLeeza,
Yeah, the spraying is a bitch.

Meantime, fresh blackberries in the market cost a zillion.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:44 pm
one of my favourite food shows River Cottage has lots of foraging in it, the chef/host started his tv career with a show called A Cook on the Wildside, with a lot of foraging and bartering for his supper

around here i always look for Asparagus gone to seed in the late summer/fall and then go to those spots in the spring to harvest a few new shoots, there's a ditch bank behind the house that has a pretty good supply, got about 2 pounds out it last year

in Tai Chi's part of the world, the road sides are full of scrub apple trees

http://www.rivercottage.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Cottage
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
mmmmm, foraged bananas..

<swoons>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:57 pm
Los Angeles, my home town, was built in the late 1800's in a semi arid desert and it is still a semi arid desert adapted to by newbies. (I could go on about that.) No native trees in the LA basin, though coast live oaks happened not far away, just over the mountains

A desert plant, common buckwheat, Eriogonum fasciculatum, used to cover the land, at least in certain areas. I assume it can be used as buckwheat, but I'll have to check some references besides those talking about it as a drought tolerant garden plant.
I'll have to see what Perry says -
Nah, he goes on but not about use as food.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
They love prickly pear. They also love dandilions and I have to order seeds online and grow them in a few large pots, I can’t grow them fast enough but I have found a health food store that sells them. Most of their food is from what I forage from the yard, like hibicus leaves and flowers, another favorite of theirs.
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:24 pm
Bookmarking.
Very interesting thread, osso!
Be back later!
Ceili

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:51 pm
When I lived in BC or visited the island we would go mushroom picking all the time, normally for morels and oysters, sometimes we'd get lucky and find psilocybin.. Laughing We would also pick black berries, salmon berries and wild strawberries. Sometimes we'd go for Shellfish - mussels, oysters, clams and crabs...
Here is AB I've picked apples, mushroom rings, saskatoon berries, raspberries and huckleberries. I've made wine out of foraged dandelion roots. I also love making horse radish found on old homestead properties.
I remember listening to a radio show once on foraging in NYC. It was really interesting all the plants that grew wild in the concrete jungle. Apparently they do tours of the city..
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:16 pm
@jcboy,
Just don't let them have any Oleander.... (not kidding)
0 Replies