My name is dlowan, and I am a biblioholic........

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:00 pm
This time I am selling the smeggers! I have a double shopping trolley, so far - and I am starting on clothes and furniture....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:02 pm
It's as easy to be owned by your books as it is to own books (and other things)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:06 pm
Indeed - and I am feeling most enslaved - but - I don't wanna do something dumb that I will regret later - the middle path...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:19 pm
Deb, the middle path is best--if you part with too many, it will be so traumatic that you'll never be able to continue.
Do try Feolola's method--read the book and send it back to the library or give them to a good thrift shop that will donate its proceeds to a good non-profit.
Remember, like getting rid of art or favorite clothing, you have to be brutal.
Just remember you can also be slow.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:32 pm
Deb ~ I share in your grief. Mom and I have three five-shelf bookcases and I've decided ~ honestly ~ to get rid of all my paperback books. The hardbacks I just can't bare to part with.....and I won't.....darnit.

But I know me.....and I will replace most of those books with the hardcover editions eventually.

Oy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
Sigh - I HAVE been slow. Actually, I cull at least every year - but still the cancer spreads....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:37 pm
We've cut back to maybe about 1,000 or so.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
I dare not count....16 bookcases....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:41 pm
Honestly, Deb ~ why do you want to part with your books anyway? I've moved three times since my divorce and the bulk of my 'stuff' has been my books ~ but I continue to treasure them. I don't ever see me giving them up. (At least the hardbacks.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:43 pm
Since the invention of the PC - I'll bet I've bought less that 20 books.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:49 pm
Good to 'see' you husker.....

But I always prefer a book to my computer. My son gave me the latest Stephen King novel 'The Wolves of Calla' for Christmas ~ I accidentally left it at my therapist's office over a week ago.....finally have it back and I plan on spending most of my Sunday reading it.

Hope all is well with you and yours, by the way!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:55 pm
Thanks Rae! Same to you! I've had a stinky bug bug the past week, just when I think I'm better it relapses - I'm wondering if I might have a food allergy??
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 09:58 pm
Rae - I have so many they are interfering with the joy I take in my surroundings...I have to purge.

'Tain't just the getting rid of - it is the BUYING! Oy veh! So much money!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:48 am
May I add, she muttered bitterly, that doing books for the portal DOES NOT HELP - particularly the non-fiction. I am drooling as we speak.

Oh dear, I seem to have succumbed to the recent capitalization, or bold highlights, craze around here lately.....

I went to take a huge pile of me darlins to the second hand book shop - but the proprietor was not there, only his dad, who does not do the buying..tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:23 pm
It's a mindset both how you look at this "problem" and in reality:

Remember what makes a book special has gone into your head. The book that is left is an object. Just an object. Keep the special ones, give away the rest. If the books are so special, then don't you want to share the joy? If you need to read it again, go to the library and get it!.

I like donating them to a library, because they sell them at their book sale for a very cheap price. (I like buying books there, because I usually drop them into the bathtub or the pool, and librarians don't like that). The proceeds go to help the underfunded library and it just perpetuates what is available.

Sometimes when I'm done with a book, I'll just leave it say, in a doctor's waiting room or cofee shop. Pass it on! It's a good thing. Remember. The real book has already been devoured by you. What's left is just a thing.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:25 pm
When I'm on vacation, I always leave my books at the hotel library. And get more, too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:31 pm
Are you a bookcrosser, fealola?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:38 pm
No, but I read about it from a link somewhere in A2k! Looks interesting! Have you done it?

(leave books on airplanes too!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:46 pm
I've done a couple of drops. I need to print some labels to do more.
I love the concept and the site. Also the idea of the meetup groups that are affiliated.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:49 pm
I like the idea too! I'm going to have to make an effort and try it. (I'm a procrastinator and not very organized!)

Diowan, do you know about this?
0 Replies