Criticism of the belief in Heaven

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 12:37 pm
Heaven can't be a great place for women because, traditionally, they have to cook the food for all those people as described in George Orwell's use of Sugarcandy Mountain in his novel Animal Farm. ---BBB

Etymology

The modern English word heaven is derived from the earlier (Middle English) spelling heven (attested 1159); this in turn was developed from the previous Old English form heofon. By c. 1000, heofon was being used in reference to the Christianized "place where God dwells", but originally, it had signified "sky, firmament"[1] (e.g. in Beowulf, c. 725). The English term has cognates in the other Germanic languages: Old Saxon heƀan "sky, heaven", Middle Low German heven "sky", Old Icelandic himinn "sky, heaven", Gothic himins; and those with a variant final -l: Old Frisian himel, himul "sky, heaven", Old Saxon/Old High German himil, Dutch hemel, and modern German Himmel. All of these have been derived from a reconstructed Proto-Germanic form *Hemina-.[2] In many languages, the word for "heaven" is the same as the word for "sky".

Criticism of the belief in Heaven

Marxists regard heaven, like religion generally, as a tool employed by authorities to bribe their subjects into a certain way of life by promising a reward after death.

The anarchist Emma Goldman expressed this view when she wrote, "Consciously or unconsciously, most atheists see in gods and devils, heaven and hell; reward and punishment, a whip to lash the people into obedience, meekness and contentment."

Many people consider George Orwell's use of Sugarcandy Mountain in his novel Animal Farm to be a literary expression of this view. In the book, the animals were told that after their miserable lives were over they would go to a place in which "it was Sunday seven days a week, clover was in season all the year round, and lump sugar and linseed cake grew on the hedges". Fantasy author Phillip Pullman echoes this idea in the fantasy series His Dark Materials, in which the characters finally come to the conclusion that people should make life better on Earth rather than wait for heaven. This idea is known as the Republic of Heaven.

Some atheists have argued that a belief in a reward after death is poor motivation for moral behavior while alive. Sam Harris wrote, "It is rather more noble to help people purely out of concern for their suffering than it is to help them because you think the Creator of the Universe wants you to do it, or will reward you for doing it, or will punish you for not doing it. The problem with this linkage between religion and morality is that it gives people bad reasons to help other human beings when good reasons are available."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,572 • Replies: 10
No top replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 11:41 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I will answer your question...

The way I see Heaven...Is like a hologram...It's 2 dimensional picture, and a three dimensional object...

We can't see it now...But it is here...

Heaven is right here on Earth, and in the clouds as well...

And on the other side...(if it exists) is Hell...

I see them both meeting at some point...Where they continue to infinity from there on...kinda like looking at a plane...in mathematics...In our would...And in reality...them continuing to have depth...from where they start...backwards...and forever going...

If Hell does not exist...Then it would be Heaven everywhere...

What is it actually like? No one can really say, I guess...

I would imagine, it would be Living in a mansion, with a soul mate...

And around everyone else you know...And meeting new people, you never did...

Where Heaven is just magnificent...And just being there...Would complete you...You would feel no more pain of any kind...Never be sad...And God would be there...walking with you...And explaining everything to you...

I think it is the most beautiful thing, ever...Where words can not describe its beauty...

Rivers, lakes, streams, High mountains...Streets of Gold...Gods Light...Huge trees...Green...Good food...Precious stones...everywhere...

I think there are infinite things that you can do...to be happy...And none of them require you to do, or think evil...about anything...

And walking with and eating with God everyday, forever...As well, as freedom to do what you want...With your sole mate...And in your mansion...

That is just a glimpse, I see...And I can not see anymore...As it is not to be, till I die...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 11:53 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm an Atheist who doesn't believe in heaven, etc.

BBB
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I'm an Atheist who doesn't believe in heaven, etc.

I don't understand...If you are an atheist...How do you believe in Heaven? Isn't it a part of accepting God? Or do you believe you can get to Heaven without God?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:14 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I got you now...I misread...You were saying you are an atheist, who does not believe Heaven exists??

Why are you interested to know, what Heaven is like? Or why are you interested to know, what it is not like? As it is not...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:17 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have no interest in a myth.

BBB
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:20 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I don't want to know something about a mith.

What kind of answers, do you want?

Do you want me to tell you, I agree, it is a myth?

I can't do that...Because I do not believe it is a myth, at all...
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:22 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm not interested in discussing a myth.

BBB
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I have no interest in a myth.

It seems that you do, to me, by your very first post...It seems you have interest in talking about a myth?...Or interest in talking about a myth to other people who also believe it is a myth?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:25 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I'm not interested in discussing a myth.

What are you interested in talking about...With your first post?

Are you saying you want this thread to die?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
OK, I can take a hint...See ya around...

I enjoyed it, while it lasted...
0 Replies