Are you going to heaven?

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 08:30 am
So they say... if you are good/righteous, you will go to heaven when you die.

I have issues with this teaching as I find the biblical support for the claim to be insufficient. More specifically it raises some important questions.

What is the current purpose of the earth?
I have spoken to numerous denominations regarding this, the most common explanation is that it is a testing ground, or filter for heaven. If this is the case

What is the purpose of Armageddon, often referred to as Gods intended judgement day?
Will the earth still be used for human occupancy after Armageddon? if not why would God require a filter now and not after?

I believe in a God that has a plan, but this version of his setup raises a lot of questions in my backward brain. If destination Heaven is your belief, can you provide a logical explanation? Do you have a different understanding of Gods current purpose for the Earth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,185 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:50 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
What is the current purpose of the earth?
Smiley you'd have to define "purpose". As far as "science" is concerned, things are the way they are because that's the only way they can be. The apodictical existential pantheist agrees, maintaining however that there's more to the Whole Megillah than the random bouncing of objects, agreeing with the Einstenian view that although the existence of God is a matter of semantics, She's still a pretty remarkable show

Clearly to the pantheist the humanoid has a special place because without it, the entire show seems dreary and meaningless

Quote:
……. a testing ground, or filter for heaven. If this is the case...What is the purpose of Armageddon, often referred to as Gods intended judgement day?
Your q, Smiley, begs the question. If there's a Conventional God and if there's the supposed heaven, and if our environment is truly the testing ground, why should we assume there will also be an Armageddon

Quote:
Will the earth still be used for human occupancy after Armageddon?
Wouldn't an answer to that q depend upon the nature of the battle. If nuclear then maybe not

Quote:
if not why would God require a filter now and not after?
Really good q, Smiley

Quote:
I believe in a God that has a plan, but this version of his setup raises a lot of questions in my backward brain.
In my laggard mentality also

Quote:
If destination Heaven is your belief, can you provide a logical explanation?
It isn't so I can't. That's not to say however that I can't fabricate an alternative heaven and hell. They are both here today now and we're living in them

Quote:
Do you have a different understanding of God's current purpose for the Earth?
Yes, She (as a natural phenom) requires the humanoid (evolution being another natural phenom) to appreciate Her works while Earth (as well as Sun and the rest of the panoply) proves the only possible means by which She can accomplish this
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:53 am
I believe She intends to sell it property developers.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:06 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
…..to property developers
A goal already largely in effect
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 12:54 pm
@Smileyrius,
Maybe armageddon is what god brings every time he wants to clear the bad guy buffer
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:10 am
@dalehileman,
Dale I like your refreshing outlook on things, your perceptions are unusual but well thought out.

I was disappointed to be voted down on this one, it is an honest question that I'd really like a rational discussion with someone that has a heaven based belief, whether from the christian, muslim or alternate persuasion
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:44 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
your refreshing outlook
Why thank you Smiley, how flattering

Quote:
I was disappointed to be voted down on this one,
Smiley I'm not sure what you mean by "voted down," since Set and Dal are merely kidding, while I don't think my posting qualifies in this respect

Quote:
it is an honest question that I'd really like a rational discussion with someone that has a heaven based belief,
Forgive me Smiley but I'm not quite sure exactly what's meant by that expression

Quote:
...whether from the christian, muslim or alternate persuasion
If alternate is pantheistic I can qualify here but I'm not sure there's much I could add. Do you have perhaps a few specific q's
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 12:03 pm
@dalehileman,
I appreciated Sets and Dals input, both made me smile Smile

I noticed the topic was thumbed down, which I assume is partially by christians wanting to avoid the thread as I know this is a tricky subject. I was hoping for a stand to be made for the other side.

Do pantheists have a heavenly belief? it is one of my lesser understood denominations Smile forgive my ignorance my friend.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:52 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
I noticed the topic was thumbed down,
Ah now I understand, it's some kind of icon signifying disapproval

Old guys like me are so behind…...

Quote:
...which I assume is partially by christians wanting to avoid the thread as I know this is a tricky subject.
Or just your typical a2k skeptic who seems angry at all times about nearly everything

Quote:
I was hoping for a stand to be made for the other side.
Forgive me again Smiley but exactly what might one expect the other side to assert

Quote:
Do pantheists have a heavenly belief?
Don't know about the rest but I see heaven (and hell) as here and now, we live in 'em. The idea of "going there" is merely a symbolic means of expressing earthly reward for supposed virtue

Quote:
it is one of my lesser understood denominations
mine too

Quote:
forgive my ignorance my friend.
No apologies required, my bud
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:56 pm
The thing about going to Heaven is you have to die first. Bummer!

If you read the first few chapters of Genesis, you may conclude if Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would still be here and we not have war and crime and sickness and death. So, would God abandon his purpose just because of their failure? Hardly.

The entire Bible has been written to explain how, when, and why God intends to set things straight. I believe soon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:13 am
You believe soon? The cult members believed that in the first century. People have been peddling that end of days crapola ever since. The Watch Tower is going to be obliged to change the language of their theology more and more as time goes on, and "god" fails to "set things right."
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:28 am
@Setanta,
Well, I haven't bought my resurrection robe, if that's what you mean, Set. But we are not the timekeepers. If Genesis is correct, the seventh creative day has not yet ended.

That aside, can we agree neither of us can hope to go to heaven?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:52 am
To the extent that "heaven" is a fairy tale, yes.
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
To the extent that "heaven" is a fairy tale, yes.
Agreed. Except, I would go a bit further and accuse the priesthood of the lies advanced in furtherance of this tale, foremost of which is the idea that the soul somehow survives death.
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:43 pm
@neologist,
The existence of a soul is a fairy tale, as well. You're little different than priests, you just peddle different fairy tales, and often peddle the same ones.
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:23 pm
@Setanta,
I do it for free, Set. Even the coffee would be free, if you could find me at the coffee shop in Top Foods on the corner of Hwy 99 and 220th in Edmonds, WA. Be sure to email first with your beverage of choice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:57 pm
So? I don't pay anyone for their superstitious maundering, priest or coffee addict.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 08:06 pm
I don't believe i have yet added this important philosophical analysis to this thread yet . . .

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 12:44 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, but from the religious side, it is the priest who provides Chair à canon
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:01 am
@neologist,
Bible thumpers do an adequate job of providing cannon fodder, too.