move to Chile

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:15 pm
Hi
I have been reading through this forum and enjoyed it.
I am considering moving to Chile in about 12 months time. I have plenty of time to improve my Spanish, and will hopefully go with a little money in my pocket. Due to health probs I am restricted to going too far north or south, but Concepcion appears to have a good mild climate.
though I have not found it on this forum, I have no doubt that someonw ill have asked a similar question about somewhere in the continent before. Is anyone willing to chip in with ome helpful advice please ?
thankyou
Rh
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,994 • Replies: 21
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
Hi, and welcome to a2k.

If you have health problems and plan to live in Chile, a good advice would be to keep out of Santiago, the capital, due to heavy smog. I honestly don't know how much of it is legend, but the tales are amazing, even for one who lives in a city with air polution.

From what I've heard, Chile is now a real nice country to live in. So, good luck.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 09:13 pm
If you like port towns, Valparaiso is pretty nice, and I'm sure their hospitals are probably some of the better ones in Chile outside of Santiago. Puerto Montt is also a small quaint port town. I didn't know this before my cruise to South America in Nov-Dec 2002, but many Germans live in Chile. They settled Puerto Montt in the middle of the 19th century.
0 Replies

rhyfelwyr

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
thankyou
This is very kind of you both, thankyou.
Santiago may be a little warm, Puerto Montt perhaps a little cold, but Valparaiso is a definite candidate, and it would be nice to be able to continue living close to the sea. You're right, there is quite a bit of content about Germans moving to Chile. I don't share the British media vilification of Germans, I actually find them very similar to the typical British person. My better alternate languages are Welsh and Italian, which would suggest that Argentina would be the better venue ~ but Chile just looks so great !
Am still looking for any further help with Chile, thankyou again.
G
0 Replies

rhyfelwyr

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 05:23 pm
silly m efor confusing Valparaiso with Valdavia
0 Replies

csd

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 05:20 pm
Nice cities to live in Chile
Just to avoid confusions Valparaiso is about 2 hrs drive from Santiago and Valdivia is in the south about 10 hrs drive or 2 hr flight from Santiago.

Both are beautiful cities next to the sea, but are quite diferent because Valdivia is smaller and quiter than Valparaiso, it's like a modern town.

Valparaiso is next to Viña del Mar which is also a very good alternative to live in.

If you are concerned about air pollution in Santiago I have to tell you it is not THAT bad unless you have really serious respiratory problems.

Someone mentioned Concepcion... FORGET IT! I've been there twice and it's the kind of city that is loved only by those who were born there.

Good luck!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 05:35 pm
csd, Welcome to A2K. Nice to have somebody aboard from Chile. Wink
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
csd, Welcome to A2K. Nice to have somebody aboard from Chile. Wink

Ditto....here's hoping we read you in some threads.
0 Replies

Juliett84

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:33 am
I've just recently joined this discussion board and it's rockin' to see people from Chile (not currently living in) responding to this forum; I haven't been living in a shoebox or anything it's just really refreshing for me because I'm from Houston,TX and nearly every Hispanic person I meet is either Mexican or Mexican- sometimes a little of both... It's a bit harder for me to meet other Chilean folk around my age....

With open heart and open mind,
me~
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:43 pm
It depends on what kind of climate you are looking for. In general you could say that the south of Chile is somewhat cold and rainy; on the other hand the north is warmer but drier and the central valley has a mix of both.
This is only a general idea. If you want more specific information I could direct you to some, but you should tell us what kind of climate you are looking for.
By the way the problem with Stgo is not that bad, the main reason for the pollution is that the city is sorrounded by hills and that makes air flow in the city very poor.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
Santiago is a bit like southern California in terms of climate, seasonal rainfall and smog, but a good deal less cosmopolitan. The eastern suburbs of Santiago are nearly a thousand feet higher than the central city in elevation and the smog there is a good deal less. The valleys a few miles farther East are quite beautiful.

Services work well in Chile, security is good, and - unlike Mexico - the police are incorruptable. Compared to Mexico city Santiago is a bit provincial.
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:01 am
Re: move to Chile
rhyfelwyr wrote:
Hi
I have been reading through this forum and enjoyed it.
I am considering moving to Chile in about 12 months time. I have plenty of time to improve my Spanish, and will hopefully go with a little money in my pocket. Due to health probs I am restricted to going too far north or south, but Concepcion appears to have a good mild climate.
though I have not found it on this forum, I have no doubt that someonw ill have asked a similar question about somewhere in the continent before. Is anyone willing to chip in with ome helpful advice please ?
thankyou
Rh

Concepción is a nice place, it has a huge river and the Pacific Ocean and the food is fantastic. There are several good universities there also. I prefer Santiago, but you can live a quiet life in Concepcion. They have all what you need, great shopping malls, supermarkets, open markets, culture etc... At the Universidad de Concepcion there are several USA. professors working.
Good luck.
Regards
Xavier
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:39 pm
Welcome to the newer members!

I have found A2K an exceptional site for interaction among the members of the world community.
0 Replies

Chile-Yen

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
Where in Chile?
I hope I am not jumping in here too late. I currently live in the Lakes District of Chile with my Wife and Son. It is beautiful here but yes, it rains a lot. It is similar to the Pacific Northwest of the US. We are "Gringos" from the Mountains of California (Lake Tahoe area) and have been living here in Chile for a couple of years now. It is everything we had hoped. Nice people, a simpler lifestyle and very reasonable Real Estate prices compared to California or many areas of the world, now days.

I agree that Conception is nice although we have only visited there for a couple of days. Vina del Mar is also nice. The smog in Santiago is worse in the Winter and not so bad in the Summer when many people are on vacation out of the city and I am assuming the "inversion layer" is less severe. Keep in mind that Summer is January/February, not July/August like in the North. It is not so hot in Santiago but the coast is more temperate and the areas West of Santiago have very nice year-round weather.

You might look at the Zapallar area which is north of Vina del Mar along the Coast. Santiago is still a big city and I guess we are not city folk but living just two hours from Santiago in Zapallar is a nice compromise, it is on the beautiful Pacific Coast and it is an "upscale" area. It depends on your budget and your personal likes/dislikes. Very Happy

Edit: Moderator: Link removed
jaja

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:22 pm
chile
Good luck with your move to Chile . We are also moving there in a few months . If you do not like too hot and too cold I think the best would be coastal towns between Concepcion and La Serena. Vina del Mar and Valparaiso are good starters . They have good services and excellent weather . Zapallar is beautiful - upscale. We are moving to Algarrobo . It is very small , most of the year except tourist season it is empty . There is plenty to chose from so it is good to spend there some time before buying anything. Greetings.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Athos, I'll be in Santiago on April 4. Where are some of the better restaurants?
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
Depends on what kind of food you are talking about: meat, sea food, traditional food, international dishes, etc. Since I don't usually go to restaurants I can hardly give you advice, although I can tell you this: more expensive restaurants don't necessarily mean better.
I'll check with my friends and try to come up with a recommendation list to post later.
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:50 am
It just occurred to me...Why the sudden interest of coming to live here? In general terms I mean. Is it some kind new fashion?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:51 pm
I'm traveling to Santiago on holiday for just a few days. I've been there before, but it was only a transit place from the airport to Valparaiso to catch a ship for a South America cruise to Buenos Aires.

The reason I asked about "good food" in Santiago is the simple fact that you mentioned; cost is not necessarily the best. I like to try local food when I visit, so I'm looking for popular places that the locals go for good food.

Gracias for anything you can suggest.
0 Replies

tjsenior

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 08:16 am
@Chile-Yen,
We are thinking about moving to Chile, we are from Missouri, would like to live in the country, where ther is hunting and fishing, could a small house, near a small town.
0 Replies