Should dress code be followed properly?

Mirror

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:54 am
It seems like dress code is cosidered as manners in public.
While I think it's important that we dress ourselves properly when we appear in public, I have a question when we have to dress according to our gender.
In general while men are encouraged to wear a simple black pants suit women are expected to be dressed in a fasionable one-piece skirt.
I think that's a sex discrimination and thus we don't need to follow that code.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,747 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:05 am
@Mirror,
You may think that discrimination, but you're wrong about what men have to wear when they are required to wear "business attire." A man wearing even an off-the-rack suit is wearing a far more expensive outfit than a woman. A suit, with an oxford shirt, a tie, dress stockings and shoes is far more expensive than the business suits that women wear. There is discrimination going on here, but you have failed to correctly identify it.
saab

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 02:24 am
@Setanta,
and while the men have to wear their expensive suits no matter how hot it is, we women can put on a thin sleeveless dress. Again discrimination against men.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 03:01 am
@Mirror,
Social interaction involves "convergence" i.e conformity to group norms. The fact that group allegiences can conflict needs to be weighed against the practicalities of the immediate situation....when in Rome etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 03:14 am
I think Mirror is on a different track. It's more a matter of whether women should be able to get away with, say, a pant suit instead of skirt. That's my guess, anyway, and it seems like around here they can and do.

Men do not have the option (realistically) of wearing skirts and large, frilly bows at the neck.
0 Replies