Need for Permit

gollum

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:45 pm
Does a person or persons on the sidewalk using a sound amplification device to deliver a religious message need a permit or other permission?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:32 pm
@gollum,
It seems like it:
Quote:
A sound permit is issued for events that require amplified sound by a device. Sound permits will be issued by the local precincts. A "sound device" is any radio or device or apparatus for the amplification of any sound from any radio, phonograph, or other sound making or sound producing device, or any device or apparatus for the reproduction or amplification of the human voice.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/cecm/html/event/overview.shtml
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 01:43 am
@tsarstepan,
That's the reason the Wall St. demonstrators can't use a bullhorn but are relying on mass repetition of the speaker's words. They have no municipal sanction to be doing what they're doing.
gollum

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 03:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you.

But is there a separate rule for a person espousing a religious message?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 06:09 pm
@gollum,
Did you bother to read the link I sent? It's the official NYPD policy page and there is no distinction between secular and religious speakers.
gollum

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 08:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you. I guess you are right.

I was thinking of individuals/organizations that lecture people passing by on the sidewalk about their religious beliefs. They often use sound amplification equipment. I don't believe the policy specifically addresses them.
0 Replies