View all the posts on one page? Now you can.

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:24 am
Ok, Many have said that they like to be able to follow a topic with all the posts on one page.

I just added that feature (there were a few bugs in the code that a developer had made for this so that's why the site was buggy tonight, I was about to remove this feature when I quashed the bugs).

The current limit for posts per page is 10.

The current limit for topics per forum page is 50.

The threshold for a thread to be considered "popular" (the image is animated) is 15.

----

Those are the defaults. But you can now determine your own thresholds.

In your profile there is now a new option to choose to display more than 10 posts per page, more than 50 topics per forum page and also change the threshold for popular posts.

If you want to see all the posts of the thread on one page just enter a high number as the limit (the ceiling is 999 posts per page to avoid stress on the server, but there is currently only one topic here that will have pagination at that threshold).

----

Remember, that changing your paginantion will affect speed. If you want to display 999 posts per page the topics will load slowly.

----

If the above is confusing here is the simple version:

You can now decide how many posts show up on each topic page, just go to your profile and find the option:

Quote:
Posts Per Page

And decide how many posts you want to display.

If you enter a high number most topics will show all the posts on one page.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,099 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:34 am
Thanks, Craven. (Although I was quite content before.)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 03:51 am
Thanks Craven ol' chap. Very nice feature for us high-bandwidth blokes. I set mine for 100 topics, 50 posts.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 04:38 am
On further inspection, Crave, it's a bit buggy. Shocked Here's how it works for me from the 'View topics with posts since your last visit' page with my posts-per-page threshold set at 50...

-Clicking on a topic's title, or any particular page number, works perfectly at my new, higher threshold. The problems come in, however, with the 'first post in the thread you haven't read' and 'last post in the topic' links.

-I clicked 'last post' for a topic with 25 replies -- I was only shown the last 5, and there was no link anywhere to take me to previous pages to read the previous posts. It said "Page 1 of 1".

-I then clicked the last post link for a topic with 96 replies -- Again, only the last 6 were shown, however this time there was a link to go to page 1 of the topic, since the total number of posts in this topic was higher than my page limit. (Clicking the Page 1 link [page 1 of 2] from there, however, showed the first 50 posts just lovely.)

I haven't tried setting the threshold lower than 10.

I hope this was clear enough, and that it helps ya out a bit. Wink Take care, mate.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 09:51 am
Oh boy, you don't know how well I know this bug! It was hell fixing the pagination links in the seach results. I'll try to fix this right now but if I can't I'll take this feature down (or at least hide it so more users don't use it).
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:41 am
Craven, your truely the best of all possible worlds...

Did you know up here in Canada there's a brand of cigarettes called Craven A .
I could add 2K to that and you'd have a package of Craven A2K. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:22 am
Thankee, Craven. This Florida cracker be greatful. Thanks to Mikey, also for the link. Cool
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:22 am
AG,
I wish I had ciggies right now!

Monger,

I think I fixed the bug. Please stress test it ASAP. If I can't find any more bugs in the code by the end of today it will stay on as a feature.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:25 am
Letty,

I hope this helps you navigate. This feature was requested many times and I thought it would be easy to implement someone else's code. BNut I ended up having to rewrite the whole thing because of all the bugs (really just things left out) in their code.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:42 am
Here Craven, have a pack of Camels on me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:44 am
Thanks mikey, I'm waiting for dan-E to bring me some smokes. In the meantime I tested this code some more and I'd like to warn:

DO NOT set your posts per page to 0. You will not be able to view anything if you do this and you will cause many pages to timeout.

--

Since some are bound to try this just because I said so I'll now write code to prevent this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:11 pm
I increased the number on posts and decreased the number on topics. Seems to be working, tho i ran into one of those 'nothing meets the criteria' when i was backing up on a thread. Will poke around a bit more.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:20 pm
Please explain the "nothing meets criteria".

That should have nothing to do with the viewtopic code that was altered.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:31 pm
I've had those intermittently when i was doing a backwards run through posts in past 24 hours - it will have pages 1 - 20 showing. i'll start with 1, then back to 2, back to 3 and then at some point it will say 'nothing meets search criteria', even though there should be another 15 + pages to scroll back through.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:37 pm
ahh, that I knew about. It happens when you've been on that page a long time and then the old paginantion is useless. And it's not related to the code I added.

But increasing the topics per page will reduce that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:42 pm
which i did
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:45 pm
Above you said that you'd increased posts and decreased topics.

Posts per page will change the wy you view threads.

Topics per page will change the way you see search pages and forum pages.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:01 pm
I found and fixed more bugs. I think I got them all.

Serves me right for thinking this would be an easy feature to implement.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
Heh heh! I know the feeling! I did in-house beta testing for an Xbox game, and hell that thing went to market with 100,000,000 known bugs! Twisted Evil

--------------------
program n. A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input into error messages.
programming v. 1. The art of debugging an empty file. 2. A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward. 3. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. 4. The least fun you can have with your clothes off.
--The New Hacker's Dictionary Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 02:53 pm
This should have been easy, if I had written it from scratch it would have been. But I used someone else's code and it had the bug you caught (thanks BTW, if you hadn't had caught that I might have left the bugs up for months and some of them were critical).

After I fixed it I realized it was incompatible with code on almost ever page and file on the site. So I had to alter every page on this site today. But I'm pretty sure it's bug free.

The only thing left to improve on is that if you edit your profile you will have to make sure to reselect the options you chose or they will revert to default.
0 Replies