Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Try to undertand my point of view for a moment. The entire world fell into the hands of Satan in Genesis 3. The ENTIRE world. Evrything that has transpired since has been to his accomodation until such time that God has purposed to set things straight.

No doubt you or I would have, acting out of our own quality of empathy, relieved the world of its troubles long ago. But that would only be because, as Jeremiah noted, "it does not belong to man who is walking to direct his own step." (I'll find the citation for you later. Hard to do on my phone. 10:23, I think) We just are not in a position to undrstand all the issues.

Don't believe Romeo when he tells you there is no hope in the resurrection for those who, never knowing God, lived and died in pain. Jehovah's very name is a promise to those who hope only to live the peaceful life he promised to the first human pair. He truly is the God "who causes to become".

Stay strong, my friend. I hope to see you yet.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:19 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Try to undertand my point of view for a moment. The entire world fell into the hands of Satan in Genesis 3. The ENTIRE world. Evrything that has transpired since has been to his accomodation until such time that God has purposed to set things straight.

No doubt you or I would have, acting out of our own quality of empathy, relieved the world of its troubles long ago. But that would only be because, as Jeremiah noted, "it does not belong to man who is walking to direct his own step." (I'll find the citation for you later. Hard to do on my phone. 10:23, I think) We just are not in a position to undrstand all the issues.

Don't believe Romeo when he tells you there is no hope in the resurrection for those who, never knowing God, lived and died in pain. Jehovah's very name is a promise to those who hope only to live the peaceful life he promised to the first human pair. He truly is the God "who causes to become".

Stay strong, my friend. I hope to see you yet.

I hope some day to see you also, Neo.

But I disagree with lots of your arguments on this issue.

Allow me to concentrate on just one:

Quote:
The entire world fell into the hands of Satan in Genesis 3. The ENTIRE world. Evrything that has transpired since has been to his accomodation until such time that God has purposed to set things straight.

That entire passage should have been prefaced with "According to the Bible..."

The Bible may be totally wrong (I think it is not even close) on what happened.

But even accepting the Biblical story...unless the god is one of the most bizarre, hateful, stupid, uncaring gods ever...how could the events of the story of Adam and Eve possibly have taken place.

Would you honestly respect and love a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches????

The entire story is a set-up...a pathetic attempt by superstitious, not especially intelligent ancient Hebrews to make a story that explains the human predicament.

The story of Adam and Eve...gives us one of the best indicators of how false and silly the Bible actually is...and of the nature of the monstrous god it contains. We'll talk about the second best (Exodus) at some other time.
neologist

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
He gave us all free will, Frank.
It must have pained him greatly when the 'serpent' chose that exact time to rebel. But, of course, that was opportune for the rebel.
I suspect he thought to have Jehovah between the proverbial rock and hard place. If he destroyed the rebels outright, so much for the name that means "he who causes to become". If he pardoned the rebels, so much for his sovereignty and standard of justice
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 01:31 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: He is a nasty son-of-a-bitch...who makes the likes of Al Capone or Saddam Hussein seem relatively benign, Romeo.

Nah mate, if God was nasty he'd cull out murderers, thieves, perverts, liars etc right NOW, instead of waiting for judgement day!
See, every time they wake up in the morning they should thank God for giving them another chance to come to their senses and turn to him before J-day..Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:30 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

He gave us all free will, Frank.
It must have pained him greatly when the 'serpent' chose that exact time to rebel. But, of course, that was opportune for the rebel.
I suspect he thought to have Jehovah between the proverbial rock and hard place. If he destroyed the rebels outright, so much for the name that means "he who causes to become". If he pardoned the rebels, so much for his sovereignty and standard of justice

He did the equivalent of a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches.

He denied them the ability to know right from wrong...good from evil...and then punished them for doing wrong or evil.

C'mon, Neo...except that you are required to accept this nonsense, even you would see it for the sting the inventors of this story devised.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:33 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: He is a nasty son-of-a-bitch...who makes the likes of Al Capone or Saddam Hussein seem relatively benign, Romeo.

Nah mate, if God was nasty he'd cull out murderers, thieves, perverts, liars etc right NOW, instead of waiting for judgement day!

No he wouldn't...he would allow them to exist among us so he could enjoy watching them screw up the world. That is what an insane, nasty son-of-a-bitch would do.

What makes you think a nasty son-of-a-bitch would do the right thing???

Quote:

See, every time they wake up in the morning they should thank God for giving them another chance to come to their senses and turn to him before J-day..Smile

Keep sucking up to him, Romeo. But if the monster really exists...you'd better suck a lot harder.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 03:44 am
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: He did the equivalent of a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches.

Right! Then if they do get burnt he can say -"Serves you right for disobeying me", and he'd be absolutely right!..Smile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 03:57 am
Quote:
Romeo proclaimed: if God was nasty he'd cull out murderers, thieves, perverts, liars etc right NOW, instead of waiting for judgement day!
Frank Apisa replied: No he wouldn't...he would allow them to exist among us so he could enjoy watching them screw up the world. That is what an insane, nasty son-of-a-bitch would do.
What makes you think a nasty son-of-a-bitch would do the right thing???

Well he did the right thing by sending you and your great iron birds to protect England from the nasty Russkis didn't he, and warned them not to start trouble?..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/eagleA.png

"The Lord Almighty will come with thunder and earthquake and great noise, with windstorm and tempest and flames of a devouring fire" (Isaiah 29:6)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/b-47-rato_zpsbb062945.jpg~original
0 Replies

LeighAnneNicolson

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:30 am
I think slavery should come back
Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:12 pm
@LeighAnneNicolson,
LeighAnneNicolson wrote:

You're welcome to become my slave.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

LeighAnneNicolson wrote:

You're welcome to become my slave.

Thank you, Olivier.

I was trying to think of something befitting her comment...and was coming up blank.

You nailed it.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Other than, an obvious troll, don't feed it?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 06:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well you have two assumptions that are barely defensible
1) You assume Sola Scriptura but even there we have an NT proscription that must go back via the Church to Jesus
1 Timothy 1:10
Parallel Verses
New International Version
for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
numerous New Testament texts, such as Colossians 4:1, Galatians 3:28, and the Book of Philemon, make the case for the inherent spiritual worth of slaves

2) This would be an argument from silence, to say that no explicit condemnation is approval
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 06:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
He did the equivalent of a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches.

He denied them the ability to know right from wrong...good from evil...and then punished them for doing wrong or evil.

That is the usual POV on the story, even by 'believers'.

But if you look at it objectively, he gave them access to the dangerous (but very useful) stuff with the admonition that it was incredibly dangerous, especially given their total lack of experience. As promised, it could even cause death. Maybe start with the other stuff first was a good idea, get to know your world first.

But Clearly, he did not deny them access to knowing right from wrong and it doesn’t take a genius to conclude that he wanted them to have it, even knowing the long shitty road that awaited them. And he wanted even that to be their choice. It wasn’t punishment, just the natural consequences of learning who and what we are.

On a side note, my childhood was virtually identical to your parental analogy except I got no warning about anything. I got burned a lot. No complaints though, it was definitely worth it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 09:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

That is the usual POV on the story, even by 'believers'.

But if you look at it objectively, he gave them access to the dangerous (but very useful) stuff with the admonition that it was incredibly dangerous, especially given their total lack of experience. As promised, it could even cause death. Maybe start with the other stuff first was a good idea, get to know your world first.

But Clearly, he did not deny them access to knowing right from wrong and it doesn’t take a genius to conclude that he wanted them to have it, even knowing the long shitty road that awaited them. And he wanted even that to be their choice. It wasn’t punishment, just the natural consequences of learning who and what we are.

Leadfoot, allow me to start by mentioning that I suspect the entire story is just a creation myth...and I am not totally sure what the people who invented the myth were trying to convey. But they did a poor job in their attempt.

The problem I have with the story is that it forms the basis for Christianity's need for "redemption."

Without it, there really is not general need for it...which, of course, calls into question the need for the "Christ sacrifice" thing...which is an essential to Christianity.

Anyway...thanks for commenting. This thread has been dormant for 4 years.

livinglava

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 12:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The problem I have with the story is that it forms the basis for Christianity's need for "redemption."

Without it, there really is not general need for it...which, of course, calls into question the need for the "Christ sacrifice" thing...which is an essential to Christianity.

Why don't you think there is a need for redemption? You don't think humans are sinful? You think they're all good except for the bad ones?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:21 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Why don't you think there is a need for redemption? You don't think humans are sinful? You think they're all good except for the bad ones?

I did not say there is no need for redemption. I said "without the story" there is no need for redemption.

The notion that "Christ died for our sins"...really is about Christ dying for the sins of Adam and Eve...sins that Christians have asserted pass down to all of humanity.

"The story"...what I consider "the myth"...is needed for redemption to be necessary.

As for you direct question, "You don't think humans are sinful?"...well...if a sin is defined as something a human does that offends a god...

...then, no, I am not convinced that ANY humans are sinful. Is there a god that can be "offended?"

I do not know. If there isn't...then no one is sinful. If there is and the god is not easily offended...there may still be no one who is sinful.

The myth...in all its phases...is the determinant, Lava.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Leadfoot, allow me to start by mentioning that I suspect the entire story is just a creation myth...and I am not totally sure what the people who invented the myth were trying to convey. But they did a poor job in their attempt.

Anyway...thanks for commenting. This thread has been dormant for 4 years.

No problem discussing it as just a story. But I think you have picked up your interpretation of the story from the worst possible source - the religious.

I happen to agree with you on the redemption thing. In the sense that most Christians believe in, it is preposterous. Jesus might have been 'the Way' but any 'magical' properties of his blood has nothing to do with it. But I think his willingness to spill it all did. That is not to say we are incapable of both good and evil. But yeah, 'magic blood' would not be the solution.

Bloody shame that sometimes we have to go back four years to find a worthwhile thread.

livinglava

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I did not say there is no need for redemption. I said "without the story" there is no need for redemption.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:
The notion that "Christ died for our sins"...really is about Christ dying for the sins of Adam and Eve...sins that Christians have asserted pass down to all of humanity.

No, it's about all sin and the general pattern of sin recycling souls through birth and death. The creation generally operates as a death-machine where sin gradually wears us down until we die, but Christ came to liberate us from death by bringing awareness of second-birth and thus eternal life. Our bodies may die, as there will always be sin/death in the world, but we nevertheless have eternal life as we are reborn out of sin, i.e. as we gradually die to sin in our hearts/minds/desires.

Quote:
"The story"...what I consider "the myth"...is needed for redemption to be necessary.

Without salvation/redemption/sanctification, we just go through sin and death unconsciously, getting pulled deeper and deeper into reacting against sin/harm with more sin/harm. It is like a fight where neither fighter can walk away so they just go on beating each other to death.

Quote:
As for you direct question, "You don't think humans are sinful?"...well...if a sin is defined as something a human does that offends a god...

Sin is harm, things that lead to death in various ways. Sin is complex, e.g. envy is sin but it doesn't immediately lead to death, but it does lead to temptation to steal, for example, and unforgiveness for stealing leads to the killing of thieves, so in that sense, envy and/or other sins build up and gradually cause death and destruction throughout the creation.

Quote:
...then, no, I am not convinced that ANY humans are sinful. Is there a god that can be "offended?"

Are YOU offended by any sin, e.g. stealing or killing? Or are they all just 'free choices' in your mind without negative effects and/or consequences?

Quote:
I do not know. If there isn't...then no one is sinful. If there is and the god is not easily offended...there may still be no one who is sinful.

Are there any humans who offend you in any way? If so, what would you consider what they do to offend you if not 'sin?'

Quote:
The myth...in all its phases...is the determinant, Lava.

What do you mean by determinant/determination here?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2020 01:40 pm
Gotta admit Frank, for someone who rejects it, you have a great grasp of it.