40

Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

neologist

1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Try to undertand my point of view for a moment. The entire world fell into the hands of Satan in Genesis 3. The ENTIRE world. Evrything that has transpired since has been to his accomodation until such time that God has purposed to set things straight.

No doubt you or I would have, acting out of our own quality of empathy, relieved the world of its troubles long ago. But that would only be because, as Jeremiah noted, "it does not belong to man who is walking to direct his own step." (I'll find the citation for you later. Hard to do on my phone. 10:23, I think) We just are not in a position to undrstand all the issues.

Don't believe Romeo when he tells you there is no hope in the resurrection for those who, never knowing God, lived and died in pain. Jehovah's very name is a promise to those who hope only to live the peaceful life he promised to the first human pair. He truly is the God "who causes to become".

Stay strong, my friend. I hope to see you yet.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:19 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I hope some day to see you also, Neo.

But I disagree with lots of your arguments on this issue.

Allow me to concentrate on just one:

The entire world fell into the hands of Satan in Genesis 3. The ENTIRE world. Evrything that has transpired since has been to his accomodation until such time that God has purposed to set things straight.

That entire passage should have been prefaced with "According to the Bible..."

The Bible may be totally wrong (I think it is not even close) on what happened.

But even accepting the Biblical story...unless the god is one of the most bizarre, hateful, stupid, uncaring gods ever...how could the events of the story of Adam and Eve possibly have taken place.

Would you honestly respect and love a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches????

The entire story is a set-up...a pathetic attempt by superstitious, not especially intelligent ancient Hebrews to make a story that explains the human predicament.

The story of Adam and Eve...gives us one of the best indicators of how false and silly the Bible actually is...and of the nature of the monstrous god it contains. We'll talk about the second best (Exodus) at some other time.
neologist

1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
He gave us all free will, Frank.
It must have pained him greatly when the 'serpent' chose that exact time to rebel. But, of course, that was opportune for the rebel.
I suspect he thought to have Jehovah between the proverbial rock and hard place. If he destroyed the rebels outright, so much for the name that means "he who causes to become". If he pardoned the rebels, so much for his sovereignty and standard of justice
Romeo Fabulini

0  
Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 01:31 am
Frank Apisa said: He is a nasty son-of-a-bitch...who makes the likes of Al Capone or Saddam Hussein seem relatively benign, Romeo.

Nah mate, if God was nasty he'd cull out murderers, thieves, perverts, liars etc right NOW, instead of waiting for judgement day!
See, every time they wake up in the morning they should thank God for giving them another chance to come to their senses and turn to him before J-day..Smile
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:30 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

He gave us all free will, Frank.

He did the equivalent of a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches.

He denied them the ability to know right from wrong...good from evil...and then punished them for doing wrong or evil.

C'mon, Neo...except that you are required to accept this nonsense, even you would see it for the sting the inventors of this story devised.

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:33 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

No he wouldn't...he would allow them to exist among us so he could enjoy watching them screw up the world. That is what an insane, nasty son-of-a-bitch would do.

What makes you think a nasty son-of-a-bitch would do the right thing???

Keep sucking up to him, Romeo. But if the monster really exists...you'd better suck a lot harder.

Romeo Fabulini

0  
Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 03:44 am
Frank Apisa said: He did the equivalent of a parent who would place a couple of three or four year olds into a room filled with bottles of Kerosene and dozens of boxes of matches and other fire making equipment...and tell them...play with all the toys, but do not play with the bottles of Kerosene or the matches.

Right! Then if they do get burnt he can say -"Serves you right for disobeying me", and he'd be absolutely right!..Smile

Romeo Fabulini

0  
Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 03:57 am
Romeo proclaimed: if God was nasty he'd cull out murderers, thieves, perverts, liars etc right NOW, instead of waiting for judgement day!
Frank Apisa replied: No he wouldn't...he would allow them to exist among us so he could enjoy watching them screw up the world. That is what an insane, nasty son-of-a-bitch would do.

Well he did the right thing by sending you and your great iron birds to protect England from the nasty Russkis didn't he, and warned them not to start trouble?..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/eagleA.png

"The Lord Almighty will come with thunder and earthquake and great noise, with windstorm and tempest and flames of a devouring fire" (Isaiah 29:6)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/b-47-rato_zpsbb062945.jpg~original

LeighAnneNicolson

0  
Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 11:30 am
I think slavery should come back
Olivier5

2  
Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:12 pm
@LeighAnneNicolson,
LeighAnneNicolson wrote:

I think slavery should come back

You're welcome to become my slave.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

LeighAnneNicolson wrote:

I think slavery should come back

You're welcome to become my slave.

Thank you, Olivier.

I was trying to think of something befitting her comment...and was coming up blank.

You nailed it.

1  
Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 04:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Other than, an obvious troll, don't feed it?

AugustineBrother

0  
Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 06:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well you have two assumptions that are barely defensible
1) You assume Sola Scriptura but even there we have an NT proscription that must go back via the Church to Jesus
1 Timothy 1:10
Parallel Verses
New International Version
for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
numerous New Testament texts, such as Colossians 4:1, Galatians 3:28, and the Book of Philemon, make the case for the inherent spiritual worth of slaves

2) This would be an argument from silence, to say that no explicit condemnation is approval