Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 09:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
And what is the nature of reality?

Do u have a particle accelerator in your basement that puts you one step above Christians in knowing the reality of the cosmos and and witness matter in the extreme energy environment that existed within microseconds of the big bang by mapping out in high detail the temperatures and pressures at which ordinary matter transforms into quark-gluon plasma?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 09:53 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
Do u have a particle accelerator in your basement

If I told you the truth to your question would you believe me, and if so why would you believe me?
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 09:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
If I told you that nothing around you exist, and that a demon is projecting data into your five senses to make it appear that a world outside you exist would you believe me, and if so why would you believe me and if not why won't you believe me?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:01 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
If I told you that nothing around you exist, and that a demon is projecting data into your five senses to make it appear that a world outside you exist would you believe me, and if so why would you believe me?

I would have a problem with that because I have more than 5 senses and if this demon was not able to penetrate all of my senses I would not think that it was true.
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
I forgot to mention that the demon can patch any discrepancy that arise with the additional senses that you have with it's darnedest telepathic ability and insane mind bending abilities, what say you then?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:14 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the demon can patch any discrepancy that arise with the additional senses that you have with it's darnedest telepathic ability and insane mind bending abilities, what say you then?

I would say if you can provide me with evidence that such a demon exist that you would probably have me believing in anything else that you wish.
Do you have any evidence that such a demon exist that is more creditable than the Easter bunny existing?
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
How do you know I exist, all this reality around you could be the artificially programmed firing of neurons in your mind by the demon, and as far as to say even the words in in front of your eyes could be the demon's doing?

(We can play this game all night long)
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:26 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
How do you know I exist, all this reality around you could be the artificially programmed firing of neurons in your mind by the demon, and as far as to say even the words in in front of your eyes could be the demon's doing?

(We can play this game all night long)

Are you suggesting that you are the work of a demon and you would like for me to take what you have to say as creditable?
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
I could be the demon's work, or a simulated character created by your brain to have someone to chatter late this hour. Am I an idea you yourself conceived, such as this character aspvenom that you are conversing with? Can one's own idea be credible? if credible to whose standards?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:43 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
I could be the demon's work, or a simulated character created by your brain to have someone to chatter late this hour. Am I an idea you yourself conceived, such as this character aspvenom that you are conversing with? Can one's own idea be credible? if credible to whose standards?

I will take your word on it. Get behind me demon.
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 10:52 pm
@reasoning logic,
If you take my a word on faith, then how are you better off than a christian?
Remember I am just a simulation all in your head, either the work of your own mind which is subjugated to tampering by the demon, or entirely the manipulation of the demon itself.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:

I am no better than the Christians because I am one of them and I was referencing the bible when I responded to you.
aspvenom

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 11:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
But then what is the nature of reality? What have you learned so far of the nature of reality?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 11:20 pm
@aspvenom,
The nature of reality consists of everything that you and I come up with.

Quote:
What have you learned so far of the nature of reality?

very little to nothing at all.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 12:21 am

" Is all that we see and seem,
but a dream within a dream ? "
Ed Poe
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 01:57 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Why do you suppose Jesus didn't condemned slavery?

Why do you suppose he never spoke out against it?

Quote:
Remember I am just a simulation all in your head, either the work of your own mind which is subjugated to tampering by the demon, or entirely the manipulation of the demon itself.

Quote:
I am no better than the Christians because I am one of them and I was referencing the bible when I responded to you.

Well there you have it. A fight against someone whom believes in God and someone whom is talking "as if" he's the Devil, talking to someone whom believes in God.

That is why he didn't condemn it, or why he never spoke out about it, after all, God against the Devil? He'll let you decide what you believe in and take those that don't wanna get burnt to Hell.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:27 am
@reasoning logic,
Tell us about your other senses RL, is depth sounding one of them?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It's still a pointless exercise, because the religiously devout are not going to agree with your exegesis. Christians particularly claim that Jesus had "fulfilled the law," and that the rules had therefore changed. When they say that i always quote Matthew Chapter 5, verse 18:

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

They always come back and say that Jesus had fulfilled the law, but that's nonsense because he is saying until heaven and earth pass away.

But these days, i rarely have occasion to quote that verse, because i realized years ago that it won't make an iota of difference to them.

This is, then, not an important discussion, because you are not going to get through to the religiously devout, and it doesn't matter what those who ar not religiously devout think on the subject.

Thank you for that response, Set…and I agree with the idea that changing minds about religious notions is not usually a successful undertaking. So I do understand and appreciate where you are coming form.

But the fact that I may not be able to persuade “the religiously devout” of any of the subcontext items at play here is not, in my opinion, reason to claim that my thread here is “pointless”…or that the discussion is not important.

I deem the issue…with all its underlying implications…to be extremely interesting; intellectually valuable; and just plain interesting. I enjoyed discussing it back when I originally initiated the thread almost 10 years ago; I was pleasantly surprised that it was revived; and I enjoyed the recent discussion with new people.

You do not think the thread or the discussion to be interesting nor valuable…and I have no problem with that at all. Many discussions in this forum and the other forums where I post are very interesting to some people…and hold absolutely no interest for me. I just do not participate in them.

I appreciate you sharing how you feel about this thread, but I truly—and with all the respect in the world—do not understand why you are persisting, Set. You do not think it is an interesting issue; you do not think it important; you do not think it will accomplish anything; and (perhaps most importantly) you question my motives for initiating it.

Fine! But why are we at loggerheads in this? Why not just say this is not important and leave?

I am perplexed by why you are continuing. Surely you do not think that issues that YOU do not find important or interesting should not be discussed by anyone.

Do you follow my reasoning here?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:03 am
@reasoning logic,
So, basically, you're suggesting that you don't in fact have a problem with coherence--that people who attempt to understand the drivel you post have a problem if they find it incoherent. There's a perfect example of your inability to post coherently. Way to take responsibility there, Bubba.

I haven't said that theists would have no part of this discussion, i have simply pointed out that it is unlikely that christians would, and that in any event, it wouldn't change what they believe. Specifically i referred to christians, you don't get to change my terms. All christians are theists, but not all theists are christians. That's an example of your coherence problem, you either don't understand or are not concerned with valid distinctions between and within groups which may have family resemblence.

So, for example, when make you completely unsubtantiated claim that christians "have little interest in trying to know the nature of reality," does that mean that Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Animists, etc., do have such an interest? The sloppy use here of theists and christians as interchangeable terms is an example of your incoherence.

Most of the work which is the foundation of modern science was done by people who were at least nominally christians, and many of whom professed christianity explicity, including members of the clergy. Most of the work which is the foundation of modern mathematics was done by people who were at least nominally christians and many of whom professed christianity explicitly. You've smeared a significant portion of humanity on no very good basis--simply because they are/were christians.

It's not just that your writing lacks coherence, your ideas are a mess, too.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
yep. it is sad that this is not obvious,
but we do tend to assume that everyone is like us, even our distant ancestors.
That is a fact of human nature.
I believe that psychologists call it "projection".

David
0 Replies