Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:11 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You should try a course in simple logic. You should try addressing the topic of the thread and my criticisms of your premises, rather than just throwing out snide remarks. You are a hypocrite, because you're criticizing me for doing precisely what you've been doing ever since i posted. You have not yet made any attempt to address the criticisms in my post.

Pick out one particular piece of "criticism" that you desperately want addressed...and I will address it. (Although I will have a picture of Ed Norton addressing the golf ball while Jackie Gleason looks on in consternation, perplexity, cluelessness, and laughable indignation.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
I can just imagine others involved in this thread waking up and looking in on it and saying to themselves: Jesus H. Christ, will you look at these two assholes duking it out at this hour! They oughta get a life.

I love this. They say laughter is good for the soul...and for one's health. Setanta, you are helping me in ways you probably cannot imagine.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 06:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
And you people just nod your heads, "Yup, that Setanta, he's such a mean guy."

Why do you think that is?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Go back to read the sequence of posts, David. My post criticized the thesis, it challenged the premises. Frank's reply was personal invective, he never addressed the topic. Yet here he is, continuing to attempt to suggest that i'm the one who cannot discuss the topic without personal invective. I guess his only defense is that he doesn't discuss the topic with personal invective--he doesn't discuss the topic at all, he just pukes up the personal invective.
With a vu toward being constructive,
Y not turn your attention from past posting experience to the future ?
Up until now, u have been legendary in this forum for having
a very, very sensitive, super-delicate ego that the mildest
of disagreement can ignite to bitter violence of oratory.

FOR SURE, your posting experience will CHANGE
if u start being polite, suave & diplomatic to everyone.
If u DO that, then your experience in this forum
and in all fora wherein u post, will be imbued with harmony.

Do u want that? I dunno whether u do.
R u ABLE to be polite on a long-term basis? I remain skeptical that u can.
There have been a few people in this forum (e.g. JTT)
who have been conspicuous in going out of their way
to provoke rancor & ill will against themselves
by personal attacks upon anyone with whom thay come into contact.
I dunno if u sub-consciously crave torment by persecution.

Anyway, if u feel like it,
try being pleasant & courteous to the denizens hereof; see how long u can hold out.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Your passaive aggressive insults not withstanding, Mr. Gun-nut Hypocrite, i have from the outset been trying to get a discussion of the topic. But Frank just wants to sneer and insult, and you're no better. Effectively, you have tried to call me a commie, which is about the worst thing one can say in your sick, twisted world.

I wouldn't want to tell you what you are legendary for here, it would be too nasty.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't "desparately" want anything. You're playing one of your typiecal games, i saw you pulling this insulting passive-aggressive sneer with Joe from Chicago until he just went away in disgust.

The points are simple enough. Do you claim to know that Jesus existed? Do you claim to know that Jesus never condemned slavery? If you pretend to know these things, but cannot subatantiate that, you are by your own expressed criterion weak.

I have not the slightest doubt, based on my esperience of you, that you will not in fact answer the criticism. My experience is that you will dance around the issues, while taking every opportunity for a cheap shot.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:51 pm
@Setanta,
Can't we all just get along?

Personally I think we are all just so different and if anyone has the ability to resist come backs that it would be in their best interest to do so, "if they truly want to have a civil discussion "no mater how rude you may think the other person may be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:51 pm
By the way, the game you play is so obvious that a child could see it. You're trying to claim that i "desparately" want an answer. I don't care if you ansswer or not, Frank--if you don't, it will be obvious that you either can't or won't deal with reasonable criticism.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 02:56 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your passaive aggressive insults not withstanding, Mr. Gun-nut Hypocrite,
Upon what basis do u attribute hypocrisy to me?
I don 't recall saying anything that I do not believe.

Setanta wrote:
i have from the outset been trying to get a discussion of the topic. But Frank just wants to sneer and insult, and you're no better. Effectively, you have tried to call me a commie, which is about the worst thing one can say in your sick, twisted world.
U 've got a point there; I did. I gotta admit THAT.

Setanta wrote:
I wouldn't want to tell you what you are legendary for here, it would be too nasty.
HOW SWEET!!
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The hypocrisy is explicit in you claiming that i'm known for insulting people, while you are engaged in insulting me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The hypocrisy is explicit in you claiming that i'm known for insulting people,
while you are engaged in insulting me.
No. Your logic is flawed.
Obviously, u r known for insulting people,
but I have done it too, tho not to as severe an extent as u have.

That is not hypocrisy. I BELIEVE what I say, unless I 'm joking or being sarcastic.

David
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It is hypocrixy to advance the unsubstantiated claim that i am known for insulting people as a criticism while you are engaged in insulting me. A common expression of that is hoist on your own petard.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:37 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't "desparately" (sic) want anything. You're playing one of your typiecal (sic)games, i saw you pulling this insulting passive-aggressive sneer with Joe from Chicago until he just went away in disgust.

Try to calm down if you can, Setanta...you will hurt your fingers if you keep pounding the keys in such a careless manner.

Quote:
The points are simple enough. Do you claim to know that Jesus existed?

Of course not. I thought you were kidding with that question. How could I possibly know. Are you suggesting in some sick way that anyone who ever talks about Jesus...what he purportedly said and what apparently he never said...has to KNOW that Jesus existed? C'mon...get real.

Quote:
Do you claim to know that Jesus never condemned slavery?

I have no idea whatsoever if Jesus never condemned slavery...and several times during this thread I have suggested that anyone who wants to consider the question from the standpoint of why the gospel and epistle writers never suggested that Jesus did. It seems to me if Jesus did make a condemnation of slavery...it would have been a big deal...and would have been mentioned.

Quote:
If you pretend to know these things, but cannot subatantiate that, you are by your own expressed criterion weak.

I am not pretending to know then at all...but I am getting a huge kick out of you trying to pretend that I am. I also am not pretending to know why you are providing me with so much amusement, Setanta. Don't suppose you would tell me why you are?

Quote:
I have not the slightest doubt, based on my esperience of you, that you will not in fact answer the criticism.

I have now answered it...and you should not have been so certain.

Quote:
My experience is that you will dance around the issues, while taking every opportunity for a cheap shot.

You are the "cheap shot" artist, Setanta. Mine are much more than cheap shots.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
By the way, the game you play is so obvious that a child could see it. You're trying to claim that i "desparately" want an answer. I don't care if you ansswer or not, Frank--if you don't, it will be obvious that you either can't or won't deal with reasonable criticism.

You spelled "desperately" wrong again. Trying to set something up, Set?

And I have answered your supposedly reasonable criticism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You are trying to reason with Setanta, David!!!

You'd have better luck trying to teach a hedgehog astrophysics.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
See Frank, you can't get through a post without the puerile cheap shot. This meme of me being angry has never worked, Frank.

Why don't you get real Frank. You started this thread to bait christians. Sadly, it hasn't really worked out for you. However, the topic assumes that Jesus existed and that he never condemned slavery. If you now acknowledge that you cannot know if he existed or not, and that you cannot know if he ever actually condemned slavery or not, that's sufficient for me. It exposes the thread for what it is--not a serious discussion, but just another trademark Frank Apisa attempt to pick a fight with some unexpecting christians.

How sad for you that none of them fell for it.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:58 pm
More evidence, though none was needed, that Frank can't get through a discussion without insulting people he talks to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:02 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I don't know the Bible well, and so don't really feel qualified to comment, but I think that assuming Jesus was a real person, what he said and what made it into the Bible and stayed in the Bible are separate things.

In other words, I think he may well have said as much, but in the recording and sifting and winnowing that happened, the same political forces that shaped the Bible in various ways excised it (or failed to record it in the first place.)

I just read something interesting about how those changes happened, I think in the newsweek article about "The Da Vinci Code", lemme check...

This is all sidestepping whether there is actually no record of his having condemned slavery, though. I believe it, but wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone who knows far more about the Bible than I steps in and says, "He DID condemn it, right here..." (emphasis added)

This post from Soz, from page one, sums up nicely just how foolish this thread is. If you had kept it at the level of vague speculation, it might have had some merit, but you have consistently argued on the basis that Jesus did not condemn slavery. Your beef is with scripture, not Jesus, but you want to be provocative, because that's what you're all about Frnak. Always hoping to get a rise out someone. You're a sad case.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It exposes the thread for what it is--not a serious discussion, but just another trademark Frank Apisa attempt to pick a fight with some unexpecting christians.

How sad for you that none of them fell for it.

Come on Setanta, Frank seems to more often than not support the idea that a God, unicorns and elves could possibly exist so I find doubt in your accusation that Frank is trying to bait Christians but rather, what I think he is trying to do is be a questionable person and I can not find fault in that but rather an applause.

Now to all the bickering back in forth, "surly frank can realize his part in it, "not that he will want to admit it but I think that I may know him well enough that he would admit that he could try and be more civil toward you but his emotions seem to get in the way, just as they do for the rest of us.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It is hypocrixy to advance the unsubstantiated claim that i am known for insulting people
Is that in dispute???? U deny that u r known for that?
I am taken aback.

Setanta wrote:
as a criticism while you are engaged in insulting me.
U need not be a saint or an angel to point out someone 's shortcomings.

It woud only be hypocrisy if I secretly harbored the belief
that u r POLITE, while I attributed churlish verbal abuse to u.

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder whether u sub-consciously
crave that we afflict u with verbal torment & remonstrance
for some real or imagined offenses of your younger days.
That 's only speculation, but it is a possible explanation
for your going out of your way to get everyone mad at u.

David