Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:27 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I was a ******* pleb, but aren't we all nowadays,

Quote:
The chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, John Tully, has told Sky News that Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell is not fit to hold office and should resign.

"I called for Mr Mitchell to resign this morning. I know what the officers have told me, and what was reported in The Sun this morning is absolutely what happened," Mr Tully said.

"So I think Mr Mitchell needs to address his position and resign as soon as possible.

"Someone who holds such high office, and who apparently holds the police in such contempt, is not deserving of such high office and he should resign."

Mr Tully's comments came after police groups and Labour questioned whether Mr Mitchell could hang on to his job after details emerged of his confrontation with police at Downing Street.

According to The Sun, the MP swore at police after being told he was not allowed to cycle out of Downing Street via the main gate.

He apparently branded the officers "plebs" when he was asked to use the side gate and said they should learn their place.

The incident occurred a day after two Manchester officers were shot dead.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/tory-chief-whip-denies-calling-police-plebs-021558196.html

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:38 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Whether being ungovernable is a good thing or not is another debate. My reading of the Constitution is that it was intended to produce that condition so that the legal profession is abled to cream everybody's arse.

If I was President I would throw the USSC into the Potomac on a frosty night.

If not for our Constitution, and the Supreme Court protecting it, America would have lost our freedom along with the rest of the planet.

No thank you. We choose freedom, even if you do not.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 03:48 am
@oralloy,
I'm not keen on entering THE No -Spin Zone.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:13 am
@spendius,
Oralboy's view of the world is about as far from reality as it's possible to get. He's incapable of making an informed choice about anything.
oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:19 am
@izzythepush,
izzytheNazi wrote:
Oralboy's view of the world is about as far from reality as it's possible to get.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own delusions.

izzytheNazi wrote:
He's incapable of making an informed choice about anything.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own ignorance and stupidity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, what is richly ironic is that i posted a comment on this topic which did not contain any personal invective,

Agreed, but there's a first time for anything.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, what is richly ironic is that i posted a comment on this topic which did not contain any personal invective, Frank responded to with sneering insults, and not a word about the topic, and claims that i am incapable of discussing a topic without insults--and you people lap up that bullshit as though Frank were some kind of oracle.
He appears to be a nice enuf guy,
so far as I have seen; polite, as a general rule.
I have no opinion of him, qua "oracle".
( Was he displacing u from your position, on the left ? )
Its just a humorous memory of your caustic, chronic misbehavior,
which admittedly is LESS abhorrent than it was.

I 'd not be fully candid, if I failed to acknowledge
that in truth, a tiny little percentage of your victims
DID actually deserve your invective.
In some of those cases, I silently gave u thumbs up on your acrimony.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It is incredibly, richly ironic to hear that from Setanta.

But Setanta is so out of touch with how anxious he is to demean, derogate and otherwise insult people with whom he is in discussion that calling it to his attention is almost futile.

But hope springs eternal.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
It is incredibly, richly ironic to hear that from Setanta.

But Setanta is so out of touch with how anxious he is to demean,
derogate and otherwise insult people with whom he is in discussion that calling it to his attention is almost futile.

But hope springs eternal.
Someone once posted alleging
that he is not that way in real life, face-to-face; I dunno. I 've never met him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Go back to read the sequence of posts, David. My post criticized the thesis, it challenged the premises. Frank's reply was personal invective, he never addressed the topic. Yet here he is, continuing to attempt to suggest that i'm the one who cannot discuss the topic without personal invective. I guess his only defense is that he doesn't discuss the topic with personal invective--he doesn't discuss the topic at all, he just pukes up the personal invective.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David...

…in reply to you, Setanta wrote:

Quote:
No, what is richly ironic is that i posted a comment on this topic which did not contain any personal invective, Frank responded to with sneering insults, and not a word about the topic, and claims that i am incapable of discussing a topic without insults--and you people lap up that bullshit as though Frank were some kind of oracle.

Look, you and everyone else participating here can go back and read the posts Setanta made in this thread starting with the one at...

http://able2know.org/topic/17906-28#post-5113473

From that point on, Setanta has post after post filled with insults and venom...not an ounce of humor; not an attempt to be levelheaded or evenhanded.

As I said earlier, he regularly throws out words like stupid, silly, absurd, childish, idiotic, petty, and puerile to the point where one has to wonder if he is practicing to write a thesaurus. He disparages the intelligence of anyone not agreeing with him in almost every series of posts...and seems constantly to be patting himself on the back.”

The best way to handle Setanta is to enjoy the spectacle.

When I read him, I often imagine him as Oliver Hardy in one of the old Laurel and Hardy movies…with Ollie looking a mixture of perplexed, clueless, and indignant. The image often provokes belly laughs…and if you enjoy belly laughs, David, give it a try next time you read one of Setanta’s posts.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:58 am
I said i would not post this again, but since no one seems to be paying attnetion, here it is.

Setanta wrote:
While it is certainly a commonplace that the putative Jesus said to love one's enemies and do good to those who harm you, and leaving aside that we don't even have a reliable basis for asserting that he ever existed--it's more than a little silly to harp on what he did not say. The "scriptures" on which christianity is based are based on versions no earlier than the first half of the fourth century--as much as 300 years after the putative Jesus is thoguht to have lived and died. Given the number of contradictions in those texts, and the historical and geographic absurdities which appear in them, they can hardly be taken for reliable reports of what he did or did not say, if he ever existed. A lot of editing and interpolation can take place in three centuries. It is dicey enough to discuss what he is said to have said, it is the height of absurdity to focus on what one claims he did not say.

There is no personal invective in that post. It criticizes the premises of the topic. This is Frank's response:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
It is dicey enough to discuss what he is said to have said, it is the height of absurdity to focus on what one claims he did not say.

If anyone should know about "the height of absurdity" it is you, Setanta...so I thank you for your brilliant observations.

It does not discuss the topic at all, it just indulges in sneering personal invective. Yet Frank continues to allege that i cannot discuss the topic without insults, even though this is clearly a description of what he is doing. And you people just nod your heads, "Yup, that Setanta, he's such a mean guy."
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Go back to read the sequence of posts, David. My post criticized the thesis, it challenged the premises. Frank's reply was personal invective, he never addressed the topic. Yet here he is, continuing to attempt to suggest that i'm the one who cannot discuss the topic without personal invective. I guess his only defense is that he doesn't discuss the topic with personal invective--he doesn't discuss the topic at all, he just pukes up the personal invective.

Ollie...you go back and read 'em again. Take a look at the words you use...and use regularly. Listen to your tone.

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
If you didn't choose to respond to my posts with insults, you wouldn't get insulted in return. You're taking no responsibility for you actions here at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Take a look at your own posts, hypocrite.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I said i would not post this again, but since no one seems to be paying attnetion, here it is.

Setanta wrote:
While it is certainly a commonplace that the putative Jesus said to love one's enemies and do good to those who harm you, and leaving aside that we don't even have a reliable basis for asserting that he ever existed--it's more than a little silly to harp on what he did not say. The "scriptures" on which christianity is based are based on versions no earlier than the first half of the fourth century--as much as 300 years after the putative Jesus is thoguht to have lived and died. Given the number of contradictions in those texts, and the historical and geographic absurdities which appear in them, they can hardly be taken for reliable reports of what he did or did not say, if he ever existed. A lot of editing and interpolation can take place in three centuries. It is dicey enough to discuss what he is said to have said, it is the height of absurdity to focus on what one claims he did not say.

There is no personal invective in that post. It criticizes the premises of the topic. This is Frank's response:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
It is dicey enough to discuss what he is said to have said, it is the height of absurdity to focus on what one claims he did not say.

If anyone should know about "the height of absurdity" it is you, Setanta...so I thank you for your brilliant observations.

It does not discuss the topic at all, it just indulges in sneering personal invective. Yet Frank continues to allege that i cannot discuss the topic without insults, even though this is clearly a description of what he is doing. And you people just nod your heads, "Yup, that Setanta, he's such a mean guy."

Oh, poor Setanta. So put upon. And it is all so unjustified because he is always so polite and always refrains from being insulting to people.

How can people possibly think he is anything but the nicest of people.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Take a look at your own posts, hypocrite.

Another of your favorite words, Setanta. You do call people that regularly. Why is name-calling such a favorite sport of yours. You ought really to try golf or bowling.

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
I've made no such claims, and your sneering sarcasm here is ample evidence of just how you conduct "discussions." I have yet to see you address the criticisms in my post about the thread topic, and you have not addressed the thread topic once since i made that post. All you 've done is make snide remarks, and then attempt to blame the tenor of the exchange on me. I don't feel put upon, you're not that important Frank. However, if you insult me, i'll insult you in return. All you're doing now is whining about that.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
You should try a course in simple logic. You should try addressing the topic of the thread and my criticisms of your premises, rather than just throwing out snide remarks. You are a hypocrite, because you're criticizing me for doing precisely what you've been doing ever since i posted. You have not yet made any attempt to address the criticisms in my post.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:09 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I've made no such claims, and your sneering sarcasm here is ample evidence of just how you conduct "discussions." I have yet to see you address the criticisms in my post about the thread topic, and you have not addressed the thread topic once since i made that post. All you 've done is make snide remarks, and then attempt to blame the tenor of the exchange on me. I don't feel put upon, you're not that important Frank. However, if you insult me, i'll insult you in return. All you're doing now is whining about that.

C'mon, ole friend, all this anger is no good for your health.

I've discussed the topic at hand here regularly with many people including you...and have done so without all the insults.

By the way...you are really overdoing the "sneering sarcasm" bit. You gotta lighten up a bit, Setanta. You are getting like a yappy little dog...the kind that snarl at every perceived danger. No one is grabbing at your food dish. Calm down.
0 Replies