Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:19 pm
@Charles W,
Wow...this thing revisited after all this time.

No matter his message, Charles, the question remains: Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

One possible answer is...he simply did not think there was anything wrong with it.

The god he worshiped indicated there was nothing wrong with it, am I correct?

Perhaps it is, as RL suggests, a moral rather than political question...but answered the way most humans would have answered it back then.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
In fact, why did the god Jesus worshiped not condemn slavery?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Are you suggesting Jesus worshiped slavery? I have considered myself to be an atheist Christian,. Are you suggesting that I should reconsider my position?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Are you suggesting Jesus worshiped slavery? I have considered myself to be an atheist Christian,. Are you suggesting that I should reconsider my position?

I think your train just went off the tracks here, RL.

At no point did I say anything about Jesus worshiping slavery. He worshiped a god...who did not condemn slavery.

Fact is, the god Jesus worshiped not only did not condemn slavery, he went out of his way to tell people there was nothing wrong with it...that it was moral and not objectionable at all.

Weird, isn't it?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Fact is, the god Jesus worshiped not only did not condemn slavery, he went out of his way to tell people there was nothing wrong with it...that it was moral and not objectionable at all.

Weird, isn't it?

You must be one of those hateful atheist that can not be trusted because my baby Jesus could have never believed that a God was for slavery could he?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Being an observant chap He must have noticed that slavery is a part of the natural order of things.

Being of lowly birth yourself Frank is presumably the reason why you get so emotional about slavery. The fact that the modern slave gets to play golf and uses underlings to prepare the greens and serve the drinks, and is allowed to write drivel on the Internet, is proof that he is seen as a being of no consequence. What else can be done with them when the economic problems are solved?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:02 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Being an observant chap He must have noticed that slavery is a part of the natural order of things.

Yes spedius it is natural for you to be my slave, Laughing Now that you have finally figured out reality will you now come home and serve your master and be faithful to me?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:06 pm
There is something logically wrong with the assumption that just because Jesus did not (as far as we know) condemn slavery that, therefore, he must have approved of the practice. As far as I can see, the subject simply was not a part of his agenda, not an item on his preaching schedule. It seems nobody asked him what he thought of slavery, from what the Gospels tell us. Who knows what his answer might have been, had he been asked?
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Yes spedius it is natural for you to be my slave, Laughing Now that you have finally figured out reality will you now come home and serve your master and be faithful to me?

As I am given to understand things rl you lack the essential qualifications.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
There is something logically wrong with the assumption that just because Jesus did not (as far as we know) condemn slavery that, therefore, he must have approved of the practice. As far as I can see, the subject simply was not a part of his agenda,

If I raped your wife would it be any part of your agenda if you were planing to share moral values?
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:11 pm
@spendius,
I dare say though that given the propensity you express you have managed to achieve a modicum of success.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
You'll have to explain the relevance of that post to me, rl. It's a total non sequitur.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
rl has based a few arguments on the proposition LA. He imagines everybody's wife is a hottie. That's how unreal he is.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
You'll have to explain the relevance of that post to me, rl. It's a total non sequitur.

If it was normal that everyone take turns at raping your wife "if you have one" And you were to be a moral teacher do you think that the raping of your wife should be excluded from your moral teachings?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

If it was normal that everyone take turns at raping your wife "if you have one" And you were to be a moral teacher do you think that the raping of your wife should be excluded from your moral teachings?

I still don't understand what the relevance here is to the discussion of Jesus vis-a-vic slavery. I certainly have opinions on a number of subjects which are not general public knowledge because the subjects have never come up in conversation on an openforum. Does it make me a proponent of serial murders just because I don't recall that I've ever expressed a public outrage against them verbally? Your "rape of wife"argument makes absolutely no sense to me in any way at all.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Your "rape of wife"argument makes absolutely no sense to me in any way at all.

I promise that I meant no harm in my comment but I meant it to be a questionable proposition and I hope the best for you, your wife and everyone else.

I hope that you might take a little more time and consider the logic I put forward.
0 Replies

Charles W

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
The issue of slavery, from our vantage point, shows us how the human psyche can contort morality to fit its own convenience. It seems that during the first century as well as now, overwhelming cultural pressure dictated what was moral, who was praised as good and acceptable, and who was stoned to death. Jesus turned intractable cultural bias on its head("He who without sin cast the first stone.") re: the whore-Mary Magdalen. If you consider the last one hundred fifty years, banning slavery is a modern phenomenon in the West. You may agree with me that human life in many parts of the world today is considered either a nuisance or a fungible commodity.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:22 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
There is something logically wrong with the assumption that just because Jesus did not (as far as we know) condemn slavery that, therefore, he must have approved of the practice. As far as I can see, the subject simply was not a part of his agenda, not an item on his preaching schedule. It seems nobody asked him what he thought of slavery, from what the Gospels tell us. Who knows what his answer might have been, had he been asked?

Well, of course, I did not say Jesus approved of slavery...I merely asked why he did not condemn it.

In any case, since the god to whom he was devoted taught that there was nothing wrong with slavery, I suspect if asked, Jesus would have said that there was nothing wrong with slavery.

It may also be off topic, but it was a practice then to hate one's enemies, but Jesus did teach that we not do so for moral reasons.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:25 am
@Charles W,
Charles, I'd like your opinion on this:

If Jesus...or the god he worshiped had said that slavery was not a moral thing, do you suppose that we might have ended the practice earlier than 150 or so years ago?

If "Yes"...Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

And why do you suppose the god Jesus worshiped never condemned slavery?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:32 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5111099)
Quote:

Quote:

But he must have noticed that jerking off is part of the natural order of things, yet he seemed to condemn that. And worshiping gods other than himself; and committing adultery; and coveting wives and possessions were all part of the natural order...yet he condemned those things.

So your reply really makes no sense, Spendius.

Quote:
Being of lowly birth yourself Frank is presumably the reason why you get so emotional about slavery. The fact that the modern slave gets to play golf and uses underlings to prepare the greens and serve the drinks, and is allowed to write drivel on the Internet, is proof that he is seen as a being of no consequence. What else can be done with them when the economic problems are solved?

Huh??? Are you posting from the pub again, Spendius?