Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:03 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
One more thing you guys are thinking in terms of being pulled away from families etc...as If God is not real.

I am not sure that you can say that about frank because he will not say that God is not real but he probably thinks that your man made God is not real.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:04 am
Quote:
Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?
Maybe he mentioned something about it,
but no one wrote it down n forgot about it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:07 am

He who is sufficiently well-armed
will not be enslaved.

David
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:07 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
I have the gift of the Holy Spirit and I know God speaks thru me....

Have you ever had a seizure?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:10 am
@reasoning logic,
never....
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:12 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Read my last reply, You making all these justifications as though the God is not real, and Your right, and you only have one life....

But if God is real, and people knew this, then they would not feel like they were torn apart, they would feel it was a apart of God's plan, and they know, and expect to see each other again...

Also, I know the words of the Bible are not just mens words...

I have the gift of the Holy Spirit and I know God speaks thru me....

I know that what the men wrote was from a divine being...and I also believe (like it says in Revelations) the whole book is a test, as to whether you love thy neighbor as thyself, and if you Know God above all things, and are prudent in every circumstance....

So therefor, If that is true, all these horrible things mentioned, Stoning homosexuals, owning slaves etc...If Jesus is right, (love thy neighbor as thyself) and it is right in the end of Revelations...It's all a test...No one knows for sure if God was instructing Prophets and Prophetess to scribe the words they did, so that people would be tested as to rights and wrongs...

Read my last reply to you, SpadeMaster.

For you to minimize the suffering of all the slaves who have lived on this planet in order to do this rationalizing…is sad to witness. You ought really to stop doing it. Any GOD that actually exists would want you to stop doing it...because you dishonor the incredible suffering slaves have had to endure throughout history.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:15 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I was just curious because I have read where people who have seizures can be very creative but I do not know the extent of that.
I think that you are completely normal because there are many people who think similar as you do but I do not find it completely logical at times.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
For you to minimize the suffering of all the slaves who have lived on this planet in order to do this rationalizing…is sad to witness. You ought really to stop doing it. Any GOD that actually exists would want you to stop doing it...because you dishonor the incredible suffering slaves have had to endure throughout history.

This is my response to this....

If your referring to the slavery in the time of Egypt, I agree, If your referring to the slavery in the Civil War era?? I agree...

If your referring to the slavery that is depicted as permissible, than I do not agree, Obviously God felt they were not suffering, and so therefor, I do not believe they were suffering either....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:20 am
@reasoning logic,
Who is Completely logical at times??

Why would that matter if I had a seizure or not??

I don't believe your completely logical at times (no offense) and it makes no difference whatsoever, if you had a seizure or you did not....
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:41 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
If you truly want to be intellectually honest and unbiased about all of this I would recommend listing to some one who studies these topics as if they are a science and then come to you own conclusion about reality.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 09:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Sometimes I 've wondered about the genesis of that.

There is a body of psychological literature concerned with the matter as it appears in modern, industrial society as a chosen enthusiasm or fetish.

You should take some pains to avoid such writings Dave. It's a bit passe in this feminised culture. Assertive males are out of date. NFL is merely nostalgic ceremonial. A mental knees-up. Being tooled up will one day look like 18th century wig wearing.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

What a thoroughly decent chap you are Frank. There's no getting away from it.

Have you anything to say on behalf of the large numbers of people who suffered in the process known colloquially as the Industrial Revolution and, what is more, suffered in our own lands. And still are doing.

It is said that 25,000 workers died building the Panama Canal. I imagine that figure means directly caused by the construction work. If ever you make a passage you should bow your head. Everyone one of them was perfectly free to have a yacht sailing around the sea off Monte Carlo.

It is you who dishonour the suffering of people by choosing one category of it you are defining as "slavery" and using it as a plinth on which to display yourself as a thoroughly decent chap.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:05 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is my response to this....

If your referring to the slavery in the time of Egypt, I agree, If your referring to the slavery in the Civil War era?? I agree...

If your referring to the slavery that is depicted as permissible, than I do not agree, Obviously God felt they were not suffering, and so therefor, I do not believe they were suffering either....

The slavery of Egypt and the slavery of the Civil War era...shared one essential thing in common with the slavery your god said is permissible. Human beings could be bought, sold, and owned. They could not protest when family members and loved ones were sold off. They were chattels...like a book, vase, or favorite rocking chair to be bequeathed to heirs--to be slaves "forever."

To hear you suggest you "would not be bothered" if you were thrown into slavery yourself if you were provided for and cared for...and would "not be bothered" if your loved ones were enslaved if they were provided for and cared for...causes me to shake my head and cringe.

In any case, I can see the difficulty you have in acknowledging some of the things that separate us philosophically here, so I am going to drop it.

Once again, I applaud you for being willing to take on this task essentially on your own.

You religious people have a saying that goes: "I will pray for you."

The closest approximation of that we Agnostics have is, "I hope you see the light some day." Please understand that when offered, it is offered in the same spirit you might offer, "I will pray for you."

SpadeMaster, I hope you see the light some day.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:12 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Why would that matter if I had a seizure or not??

It matters on A2K. A post doesn't mean what it says on here if you drink 2 pints of beer every night. Even if it is written 22 hours after the last drop of the amber nectar passed one's lips.

In your case Spadie the seizure had to be conjured up out of nowhere. At least I do drink 2 pints of beer every night.

It is what they call the default position I think. Make something up about somebody and it magically makes their posts mean something different. It's a religious idea in a one-man church.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:14 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Have you anything to say on behalf of the large numbers of people who suffered in the process known colloquially as the Industrial Revolution and, what is more, suffered in our own lands. And still are doing.

It disgusts me, Spendius…and I have written dozens of excoriating essays and op ed pieces describing my disgust with it. It is something, I suggest, that we will be forced to deal with very soon. What makes you think I have not?

Quote:
It is said that 25,000 workers died building the Panama Canal. I imagine that figure means directly caused by the construction work. If ever you make a passage you should bow your head. Everyone one of them was perfectly free to have a yacht sailing around the sea off Monte Carlo.

It is you who dishonour the suffering of people by choosing one category of it you are defining as "slavery" and using it as a plinth on which to display yourself as a thoroughly decent chap.

I am not trying to display myself as a thoroughly decent chap, Spendius. I am a decent person…and it matters not at all if you or anyone else realizes or acknowledges that. I know it.

In any case, we were not talking about all those other failings of humanity here, Spendius. We were talking specifically of slavery, which is why I limited myself to that subject. I have addressed those other problems in appropriate places on many, many occasions.

In fact, if you would like, please start a thread on the other matters and I will gladly hear you out…and participate in the discussion. Always enjoy hearing what you have to say...and commenting on it.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It disgusts me, Spendius…and I have written dozens of excoriating essays and op ed pieces describing my disgust with it. It is something, I suggest, that we will be forced to deal with very soon. What makes you think I have not?

Because you have not become a hermit refusing to enjoy the benefits that all that suffering has brought you and prefer instead to wallow in the luxuries every minute of the day. Talk's cheap. Even excoriating talk.

It's a bit like the retired brothel madam who becomes puritanical in the polite society her long career afforded her entrance to.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:29 am
@spendius,
Or living on pensions and other forms of investments that derive profits from subsiduaries in Africa and India or from the armament industries.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
It's a bit like the retired brothel madam who becomes puritanical in the polite society her long career afforded her entrance
Not very Christian of you . What about the lost lamb and the prodigal son. Theres more pharisee than philosopher in you spendi
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:48 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Because you have not become a hermit refusing to enjoy the benefits that all that suffering has brought you and prefer instead to wallow in the luxuries every minute of the day. Talk's cheap. Even excoriating talk.

I have taken a vow of poverty. I own nothing except the clothes I wear (some of which I buy at flea markets)…and an old, old set of golf clubs. I do not own a house…nor a car. Nancy owns the house where I live…and my aunt allows me use of a 18 year old car with a large, six figure mileage on it. My net worth is less than $3000. To suggest I am wallowing in luxuries every minute of the day is laughable, but I assume you proposed that scenario because you love me and wanted to bring a bit of laughter into this morning.

Talk IS cheap, Spendius. Excoriating talk also. (Good thing for you that it is.) But for the most part, I also walk the walk …although I will acknowledge that I have not become a hermit…and occasionally I wallow (figuratively) in a cup of ice cream.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think Spendius will want to be your best friend in the end.
He talks like that all of the time, " that is why we have farmerman and cicerone to correct him. lol