45

Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Olivier5

1  
Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 06:24 am
@Olivier5,
Nevertheless, there are gradation un evil and sin, at least in Catholicism. And in any other form of moral system I know of.

Dr Sliptinschit

-1  
Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 06:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This is a question I asked over in Abuzz a couple years back. Thought I'd give it a try over here.

No need for an extensive preliminary discussion of why I ask the question. In fact, no need to clarify or justify the question any more than simply to ask it.

Why do you suppose Jesus didn't condemned slavery?

Why do you suppose he never spoke out against it?

What makes you think he didn't?

bulmabriefs144

0  
Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 02:37 pm
@Setanta,
You need to study your history.

Rome had a majority of its citizens enslaved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome

And Rome at the time ruled the world.

The reason Jesus never spoke out about slavery was that at his place, a bigger injustice was going on in Judea. The marginalizing of lepers and sinful as second-class. The Jewish laws that shut such sinners out of the temple and made it difficult for actual atonement.

I know the OP wants to smear Jesus as some kind of failure for not opposing slavery, but there are other things in life. To Jesus, being Jewish was a priority, and he wanted to reform things.

But his followers eventually advocated for the release of slaves.
Frank Apisa

2  
Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 02:43 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

You need to study your history.

And Rome at the time ruled the world.

That was a piss poor reply...to a post made 16 years ago.

Perhaps you need to study history.