Don’t Call Me a ‘Housewife’…OK! (ツ)

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
I didn’t marry no house!

The problem with the term “housewife” is it invariably comes with an apologetic “only” prefix. As in, “I’m only a housewife.”

I reckon what we need here is a major rebranding; a new term which trumpets the vast 24 hour on call executive function.

I would suggest, Chief Executive of Domestic Operations Fiscal Planning Overseeing the Directorate of Youth.

What do all y’all consider an appropriate title for the responsibilities of post holder?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,837 • Replies: 66

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:33 am
@Tryagain,
Homeowner.

For anyone that owns a home knows all the work that goes into maintaining it, and those who life within.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
Housewife derives from the middle English husewif, which is also the origin of another common noun in English . . .

You hussy, you ! ! !
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:59 am
@Setanta,
I say we go with Huzzah, and then it'll sound festive, too.

Plus it sound, vaguely, like it works etymologically.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:40 am
Huzza, huzza, huzza . . .

(OK, if that works for you . . . i'm feeling kinda funny, though . . . )
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:32 pm
@Setanta,
That's only 'cause you ate the potato salad that had been outta the fridge for too long, I think.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:55 pm
@jespah,
Laughing

he is sooooooooooo busted
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:57 pm
I call Marco my househusband because he does most of the cooking Wink
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 09:11 pm
Set's quite right on the derivation of the word hussy. But, seriously, does anyone actually still use the word 'housewife' in this day and age? I don't think I've heard it in a couple of decades. (Well, except on reruns of shows like Leave it to Beaver or similar '50s and '60s sitcomes.)
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 09:23 pm
@Tryagain,
what about woman..whats wrong with that. U only got housewife because u wanted to try and be equals with men and we needed a term for the women who didnt work. Well get back home, make dinner, hang curtains, and do that in which comes natural to you and gain back your term 'woman'
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:59 pm
@smcmonagle,
Bullshit. 'Housewife' is a word that was coined long, long before women went out to work outside the home. 'Working mom' -- now, that's a new coinage.
smcmonagle

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:29 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, men never requested 'working dad' pre-women revolt. So if u want equality, take the whole package. Lets get back to our grass roots here, stay home and raise the kids. Its what ur inherinently great at and really what u women want to do, deep deep down.
jcboy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:18 am
@smcmonagle,
I’m much too liberal for the grassroots scenario, that’s we are two men raising a child and we both work outside of the home. Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:34 am
@smcmonagle,
I'm quite taken with your responses to the fellas here, thinking they're women. Awesomeness.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:21 pm
Listen Missy! Why don't you go knit me a sweater before I slap you in the face!

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:31 pm
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 04:28 pm
@smcmonagle,
smcmonagle wrote:

Well, men never requested 'working dad' pre-women revolt. So if u want equality, take the whole package. Lets get back to our grass roots here, stay home and raise the kids. Its what ur inherinently great at and really what u women want to do, deep deep down.

I presume, then, that you have a graduate degree in psychology? (Even though you can't spell and make up new words e.g. 'inherenently'.) And are you in the habit of addressing a mixed group of men and women in the 2d person plural at most times? Talk about stereotyping!
smcmonagle

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Listen< i got the red squiggly lines under inherently.. I ignored it because i wanted the get the point out. And thanks for the compliment.. no degree in physc. here. BUT. I do feel strongly about this and have had many convos to liberal women in there senior years.. the verdict is out. If they could do it over again they would have change the whole equality revolution. I will mention what she explained to me.....and its just a side effect of women equality....ready!!
One man at work equals one income.. One income demands a housing market to stay low accordingly... Once the women decided to add an income the housing market used this commonality to increase average housing prices...NOW We have a whole lot of the baby boomers and a little younger divorcing and as well as teaching the younger generations to" hold off">>>"dont get married ">>> "wait">>>> And in the meantime prices of the average home could never be afforded by one man.. So NOW you women have to work to keep up what u started... And the women i meet and know and want to be with are starved for the life at home<<fixin the home front>> taking care of the baby.. and it isnt as easy as it was in the 50s. What to do..?
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
and stereotypes are there for a reason.. Its simply a mathematical equation of majority. And if its a majority of women i know that feel this way then its ALL unless i meet the uncommonly different. and in that case thats exactly thats what they would be 'different'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 03:24 am
Translation: You don't know what the **** you're talking about, but you won't let that stop you from shooting your mouth off. The most glaringly evidence of that, of course, is that you addressed a buch of men as though they werre women.

1. Forums
  2. » Don’t Call Me a ‘Housewife’…OK! (ツ)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:21:26