Birthday Blues

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:33 am
My 40th birthday is coming up and this is the first birthday that is bugging me a bit. Losing my teens was a treat since I couldn't wait to be an adult. Losing my 20's was no sweat, but losing my 30's is another story.

Have any of you had birthdays that bugged you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,927 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:56 am
{{{{{{Montana}}}}}}

Sorry sweetie. But I haven't enjoyed a birthday for ages. I know what you mean.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 02:01 am
Thanks Wilso and I'm so sorry to hear that. I never had any exciting birthdays to speak of either, so I can relate. I never even think about my birthday because it's just another day to me, but this year it seems to somehow be bothing me some.

(((hug)))
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 02:19 am
I stopped counting birthday's. Being 40 is a great age...you may think your old, but your really not. I would love to be 40 again!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 02:22 am
I hated turning 30 - just hated it - it was one of the most depressing bdays I had. Now every bday from there is downhill for me - I really dont look fwd to them anymore
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 02:31 am
LOL! Thirty was a bastard - though celebrated in style - HUGE existential crisis...forty, I distracted myself by having a humungous sit-down dinner party with dishes I had never cooked before, and picking up two new Siamese kittens.

I think it just IS a normative crisis though, Montana - though you will be only a day older than you were the day before...

My way of coping with forty - (and FIFTY!!!!!!) - has been just to be who I am - (mind you, I whined and whinged for a while before my fiftieth) - do lots of thinking about the meaning of life and all that, be as generative as I can - personally, work wise, socially - try to develop some wisdom - and confront the realities of life and mortality as fully and openly as I can.

That being said - my forties were pretty bloody good.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 02:55 am
Forty will be fine, Montana, I promise you! Very Happy
A very good age!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 03:01 am
I'll be 33 this year - and past my sell by date Sad

Need to find the address of my nearest monestary
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 03:07 am
Only 33, Gautam! Shocked
But you've packed so much in, in such a short time!
Trust me, the best is yet to come! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 03:09 am
Guatam
You're not helping, lol ;-)

Colorbook
Thanks. I appreciate that :-)

Dlowan
Thanks so much. You have truly made me feel much better about it :-)

Msolga
Thanks. I'll take your word for it ;-)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 03:49 am
Turning 20 was fun.
Turning 30 was somehow nightmarish.
40 was great. I looked and felt better than ever.
Now slowly approaching 50. Sounds bad. But I feel (and look) better than when I was 30. Plus the experience Wink

Happy Birthday, Montana.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:17 am
Thanks fbaezer. I'm feeling a bit better about it now :-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:02 am
When's the big day?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:25 am
Wednesday :-( Jan 28th.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:27 am
Once more about the sun, driver. And don't spare the horses!

For the vast majority, your birthday is just another day. But for those of us who now know, it is an oppertunity to say, 'Gee Montana, we sure are glad you were born!'

...and besides... it beats all heck out of the alternative.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:29 am
SP
Awwww!!! That was soooo sweet. Thanks ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:46 am
Montana- Forty was the ONLY birthday that bugged me. I think because at 40, a person is crossing the line from young adulthood to ................er, maturity.

Anyhow, the week before I was 40, I was a complete lunatic. I was awash in all kinds of anxieties. I drove both my husband and the people at work nuts.

Forty came, and went. A gong did not go off, and everything became peaceful again. Montana, once you can get past the whole concept of becoming forty, the rest is easy. In fact, life DOES get better after forty!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana- Forty was the ONLY birthday that bugged me. I think because at 40, a person is crossing the line from young adulthood to ................er, maturity.

Anyhow, the week before I was 40, I was a complete lunatic. I was awash in all kinds of anxieties. I drove both my husband and the people at work nuts.

Forty came, and went. A gong did not go off, and everything became peaceful again. Montana, once you can get past the whole concept of becoming forty, the rest is easy. In fact, life DOES get better after forty!

If you're still single with no children, you may view it a bit differently.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:19 am
Wow Phoenix. It is bugging me a bit, but not quite as much as it did with you. I think youy're right in saying that I just have to get over the number (40) and then everything will fall back into place. Thanks for sharing that with us :-) I thought I was just being silly, but it looks like the age thing effects far more people than I thought.

Wilso
I actually hadn't thought of it like that since I'm pretty much one of those happily single people, but I'm sure for some, it probably is an issue. I've already had all the children I want to have, so there's no ticking clock haunting me like there is for some single women my age.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:22 am
Single men also hear that ticking clock!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Birthday Blues
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:06:28