Birthday Blues

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:30 am
You're right Wilso, but the reason I didn't mention men is because men have a much longer time before their clock stops ticking. Once a women starts her menopause her child bearing days are over, but men just keep on ticking ;-) Women my age and younger can start going through that change of life early, so once that starts, we're all done having kids, when much older men can produce children until they are elderly.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:34 am
But men have to fight the prejudice of women who believe that a never married 40 year old man is worthless. I've seen that on this forum.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:37 am
Leaving my twenties was harder than turning 40 to me, but now 45 doesn't sound good at all, I'm two years away.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:39 am
And in the gay world - 30 is almost as good as half in the grave !!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:43 am
Wilso
I've never seen that and I've never ever thought like that. I think a single man of 40 is just waiting for the right one to come along or maybe wants to get his career established before he committed himself to someone.

Brand X
I think once I get past 40 that 45 won't bother me at all, but 50 is a whole other story. Sigh!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:44 am
Gautam
I don't believe that!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:49 am
I really hated it when twenty somethings started calling me sir!

Thank you sir, no sir, yes sir, excuse me sir.....Shut up, I'm not old dammit!!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:49 am
Hiya Montana, I turned thirty at a time when anyone over thirty was considered the enemy. I was a basket case over that big three oh. I had such a bad time turning thirty that I thought I should do something to prepare myself for the big four oh. I made a list of things I thought I would have liked to have accomplished by then and hadn't. Then I started doing the things on the list. Not all of them. But some. I weathered turning forty with no problem. And I truly liked being in my forties. Fifty was no big deal either. Next up is the big six oh. I have a feeling that every thirty years I'm gonna freak out. I'm gonna have to arrange to have the paramedics standing by when I hit sixty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 06:54 am
Brand X
I hear ya. That ma'am crap still bugs me too. I ain't no ma'am ;-)

Roberta
It's strange how different ages effect us all differently. I home your 60 won't turn into another 30, but if it does, we're here for ya girl ;-)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:09 am
I hope that everything goes well, Montana; an age is just an age, despite the whole psychological aspect. You're as young as you feel; turning forty doesn't mean that you can't have fun!

(If seeing that fails, you could create your own system of 'metric' years with fifty days in a month and twenty months in a year!)

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:15 am
Hey Montana. Turning 30 didn't really bother me, oddly. But this last birthday sort of did. 35, why would that bother me? I don't think it was my age so much as it was being single. And the single thing is only an aspect for sadness because my bday falls so close to xmas and all the family is together - so many couples! Even my brother was coupled this xmas.

G, my bro is 38 in April and is still (maybe more than ever) a good catch in the gay scene.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:18 am
Yeah, G, tell them just because your arse got kicked up stairs. it isn't damaged goods at 33!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:44 am
Forty and fifty were easy. Thirty was a nightmare, alright.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
drom
LOL, that sounds like a plan, thanks ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:40 am
Littlek
I can see how being single would have a lot to do with the way you feel. It is hard when you go to parties and most everyone is coupled up. In fact, it does bother me that some of my cousins don't invite me to their parties because I'm the only one who is single. Screw em I say, LOL. I do get where you're coming from though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:41 am
Roger
I'm actually surprised that 30 bothered you. Isn't it wonderful the things we learn about eachother through the years :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:45 am
Hmmm, I didn't even really think about 30 or 40. 45 caught my attention for a moment.

I've been finding that I like myself more as I get older. I don't think I'm better than I was before, but I'm more accepting of my weirdities.

Single and childless at 40 is only a problem if you don't want to be single and childless.

The whole single and parties thing is funny. The company I'm at now has a group of women from about 35 - 55 who don't bother bringing their hubbies to company parties - they bring other friends/children, because they say they're more fun. So there is a really disproportionate number of women at the parties - since the male employees do bring their wives. So we have female employees and their female 'dates' + male employees and their wives. I've never seen anything like it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:47 am
Enjoy being 40, Montana. It's gonna be a great time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:05 pm
35 seems to be a big one. E.G. (married, with a kid) was just hit hard by that one.

30 went by in a blur for me, little tiny newborn to take care of. 31 was whatever. By 32 I was starting to feel it. This one, 33, was kinda tough. I'm used to being the girl wonder, the kid, the phenom. Wow, you run your own agency and you're only 27? 33 is still young in some ways, but NOT in others. :-?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:26 pm
Beth
Sounds like my kind of party :-) I'm hoping my 40's will be much better to me than most of my 20's and 30's were. I think I was just so damned busy during those times (being single mom) that I couldn't have cared less. Now that my son is all grown, I have much more time on my hands and it has hit me that I'm jumping into another decade and I have no clue as to where all these years went. I will say that I am looking forward to having some major quality time for myself now that #1 son doesn't need me as much anymore and I vow to pamper the hell out of myself. When I get back to work I'd love to hit a spa every year to get pampered from head to toe :-)

Soz
I hear ya about being young in some ways, but not in others. I don't think my body could take all the working out I use to do anymore, but I am much happier with who I am emotionally as I get older. The older I get, the wiser I get and that is a very secure feeling.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Birthday Blues
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 07:04:58