So what's the deal with Wegmans?

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:23 pm
Wegmans Food Markets said that the grand unveiling of a new store in Northborough yesterday set an opening-day crowd record for the chain.

According to the New York-based chain, 25,500 people flocked to the Northborough opening, breaking a previous record from 2004 when the chain opened a store in Sterling, Va.

Wegmans claims to be more than a mere supermarket. With 138,000 square feet of space, the Northborough location aims to be a culinary pleasure dome stocked with more than 70,000 items. There’s a Dim Sum bar, a Thai bar, and an Indian bar. There is also a vegetarian bar where foodies can chow down on the likes of coconut cream kale and shaved brussels sprouts.

So what is the deal with the store? Worth flocking too? It is quite a drive for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 6,774 • Replies: 13

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm
@Linkat,
People just love weimaraners -

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2413/1858695268_14fb702991_o.jpg
photo by William Wegman
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:51 pm
@Linkat,
From the articles I've read about it, it sounds like a cross between Trader Joes and Whole Foods.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:56 pm
@Linkat,
Hey linkat.

The last time I went to NJ, about 2 or so years ago, I went in a Wegmans a few times.

I really loved it, and wished we had them here.

One night my friend and I were going to listen to a speaker, so we needed to be able to get dinner fast, but at the same time, wanted something good.

Wegmans fit the bill.

They had a long display case with just about anything imaginable you'd want for a meal. Beautiful fish, chicken, beef vegetarian, etc. choices. Tons of delectible sides.
We picked out our food, then took the escalator to a mezzanine and had a very enjoyable meal.

The next day, we stopped in to get a few things, and I noticied that they had really good quality Everything.
It was clean, up to date, attractive, etc.

I vote for check it out!
chai2

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
Here's the type of view we had from upstairs. As you can see, very nice.

http://dccityzen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/wegmans.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@chai2,
Looks wonderful from here..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 09:10 pm
wow, it certainly looks fantastic! We don't have WEgmans out here either....unfortunately!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 05:21 am
@Linkat,
I've heard people rave about Wegmans so I went in one and ... it's ok. Sure, they have a large takeout section but other than that it is a grocery store. I've seen lots of big grocery stores with coffee shops, florists, etc and Wegmans is up there but it's still a grocery store. I wouldn't travel a long way to get there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
@chai2,
Is it worth a 3 hour wait to get in? And almost a two hour drive?
Miller

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 08:03 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Will they take food stamps?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 09:12 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Oh, I wouldn't go for That!

But if your journeys take you out that way, it'd be a fun place to stop.
Anyway, grand opening, it would be a mad house if it's going to take 3 hours to get in.

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:47 am
@chai2,
well maybe this is an indication they are opening more stores in my state. I would like to check them out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 10:55 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

People just love weimaraners -

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2413/1858695268_14fb702991_o.jpg
photo by William Wegman

YES! Yes they do!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 09:42 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
So what is the deal with the store? Worth flocking too? It is quite a drive for me.

I have a Wegman's about five miles from my home. It's a big-box store centered around health food. I would compare it to Whole Foods, though their store is somewhat larger. I like their choices of European cheeses, their breads, their fresh fruits, and their ready-made salads and antipasti. I haven't tried their restaurant yet, but it smells promising. Bottom line: if you like Whole Foods but don't have one near you, I suggest you check it out.
0 Replies