5

Switching to reusable bags for groceries?

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 08:58 pm
Hello Guys,

Would store be willing to promotionally hand out a reusable bag to customers? Are they willing to spend the money to hand out the bags or are they more likely to stick to plastic bags? How can the city convince stores to do this?

Thank You
William Henry

boomerang

1  
Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 09:04 pm
@WilliamHenry,
The county I live in (Multnomah) in Oregon banned plastic bags so most people use reusable bags or the store's (compostable) paper bags. Many of our neighboring counties still allow plastic bags though, so the impact has been negligible.

For a brief time stores handed out 3 reusable bags to every customer that had one of their loyalty cards. Now you have to buy them for $1.00.

If you want to look at an area that has a variety of laws regarding shopping bags look at Portland, Oregon. Three counties comprise the metropolitan area (Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas) and the laws vary from county to county. In fact, you can cross the street in some areas and encounter different laws.
jcboy

1  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:13 am
@boomerang,
I bought a couple of nylon bags from one of the grocery stores we shop at. The problem is I always forget to put them back in the car so I can use them again.
ehBeth

2  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:54 am
@jcboy,
We've been paying for plastic bags for a few years here now, and they will be completely banned as of January. I've been using reusables at least some of the time for about 40 years - I like them.

jcboy - put together a stash of about a dozen - keep half of them in the car all of the time - just switch them out - if you bring 3 full ones in, take 3 empty ones out. Once you get into the routine it's not hard.
djjd62

1  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:58 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I've been using reusables at least some of the time for about 40 years - I like them.

probably about 30+ for us

[/quote]put together a stash of about a dozen - keep half of them in the car all of the time - just switch them out - if you bring 3 full ones in, take 3 empty ones out. Once you get into the routine it's not hard. [/quote]

that's our strategy

jcboy

1  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 05:59 am
@ehBeth,
I do need more then just two. That’s why I always forget them. After carrying the groceries in the house and putting them away you don’t take the bags back out to the car.

I’ll need to pick up a few more next time I'm out shopping.
ehBeth

1  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 06:28 am
@jcboy,
I've probably got at least 30 of the bags stashed in various spots. I tend to refold and bundle them in groups of 10 or so every now and then. I get most of mine free at various trade shows - 1 trade show is usually good for at least 4 or 5 good reusable bags.

2  
Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 06:32 am
@ehBeth,
We keep ours near the front door. This strategy works except last year, my folks came up. They had some of their stuff packed in similar-looking bags. When they left, our bags were gone.

Yes, my father had accidentally packed our (empty) reusable bags.

He mailed them back.

Now we put them in the back seat of our car whenever they visit (we take their car whenever we go anywhere during one of their visits as the driveway is straight so it blocks our vehicle.

MichaelBevan

0  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:39 pm
@WilliamHenry,
Hello Friends,

They already do this in Europe, but the customer has to purchase the bags and plastic bags have to be purchased as well. Nothing is free there. Shopping cart 50 cents, trip to the restroom 30 cents, plastic bags 10 cents.

Thanks and Regards
Michael Bevan

MontereyJack

2  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:38 pm
EVERYBODY gives out tote bags, free, any time they can find an excuse. It's the green thing to do. I've got half a dozen Ford Red Sox tote bags from a giveaway at Fenway Park to the first ten thousand people. I've got tote bags from two different banks, one of them insulated, neither of them from my bank. I've got four or five from the Strand Bookstore in NYC, you get one free at Xmas with every $25 purchase. A couple from my local Star Market with a cute polar bear photo on them for 99 cents. Problem is, I live three blocks from the grocery, so leaving a stash in the car doesn't help, because I don't drive there. And I never remember them when I leave the house. In MA, I think it's a law that if you give out plastic bags, you have to have something to recycle them in, so every time I accumulate a large Halloween-pumpkin-sized wad of them, I take them back and leave them in the recycling barrel.

Mame

2  
Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 06:28 am
I've got about 30 bags, too. I hang them on my front door handle so I remember to take them back to the car, but I have a reusable bag full of reusable bags in my trunk, as well, and some in my back seat.

At one of our grocery stores, there's a bin full of used plastic bags - I take some of those for my small garbage cans in the house.

thecleedus01

0  
Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 02:35 am
@WilliamHenry,
In order to keep the city clean its better to rely on reusable nylon bags. I use them.