Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:39 pm
I've always had an imbalanced memory - take me to movie and I will remember the director, some of the photography, with luck the apparent point of the movie. And that was when I was young. My, ex, on the other hand, could recite the storyline and that of the classics.

I figured out that I listen to sound and tone, then and now, though I don't hear as well now, and watch for visuals, scenes, and maybe not the important scenes re movie reviews.

I may do this re life.

Lately I think my mixed able memory may be beginning to miss stuff.

I was just now trying to remember my business partner's landscape foreman's name. Of course I visualize him. Took me about a minute and a half to pull up his name.

Personally, I put this down to lack of use - I don't live in a world where I inhabit a culture of many, right now.

Use it or lose it? What does that mean?

I do use my memory, all day. And I suppose all my life, I've forgotten stuff. I remember using the starts with S trick decades ago.

Tell me about your experiences.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,401 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
A trick I use, lately, is to walk into the shop at work. Then say to myself, "I don't know why I came in here." I tell myself, forcefully, "You do know why you're here." And then I get it together and get on with my business. I have always been absent-minded, have always had poor on the spot recall. I don't see my age as a meaningful factor.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't see my age as a factor either, it is as usual, just that I am more attuned to worrying about memory loss.

So far, I think it is a result of non engagement.
0 Replies