What are your national delusions?

Pemerson

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have always thought that God is within us all. Nobody is going to be charging into a battle that knows he/it is there. In America we don't have a draft, anyway.

I wouldn't venture an opinon past that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I've always "known" them as being mammals that lay eggs, just now read that the taxonomy may change.

I like to think of them as an epic acid trip that god was on. The platypus blew my mind as a kid.

Aye...the platypus and the echidna.

Are those bastards going to change definitions on us? Serpents!
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I thought of what might be the stupidest delusion there is: that whatever god you believe in blesses your country and has a soft spot in his heart for your nation.

Seriously, even if the Abrahamic god existed why on earth would he bless America over some other country?

Well, given that numerous people have slaughtered each other, all proclaiming that the selfsame god is supporting them, I have no idea why you would expect any kind of rational thought to be in the mix!
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:33 pm
@dlowan,
Mathematics dictates that they really can't both be his chosen ones. One of them is the bastard stepchild.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:34 pm
@dlowan,
I just read that there is some debate over breaking them into their own respective orders.
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Mathematics dictates that they really can't both be his chosen ones. One of them is the bastard stepchild.

Bastard step kids usually win out in stories.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:51 pm
@dlowan,
At least they have that. Good on them.
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

At least they have that. Good on them.

Yeah....good's already been all over their mothers, good knows.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I just read that there is some debate over breaking them into their own respective orders.

Appendices. They're gonna take away our monotremes and leave us with appendices.
ragnel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 11:50 pm
@dlowan,
Well! They took away our fairy penguins - they are now little penguins - what nonsense! Bah Humbug! I shall go into a decline and take to my couch. How can life go on sans monotremes?
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 11:59 pm
@ragnel,
Who the hell took our fairy penguins!?

Nobody told me. I'm not having it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:00 am
One Ozzian delusion, which i suspect is held by a special portion of the population, runs alond similar lines to the SAS comment and the god on our side comment. Some Aussies seem to think that they have produced the world's best soldiers. A common enough delusion, surely. We have a thread in which someone asked if Rommel did not say that given two divisions (or whatever force) of Australians, he could conquer the world. Well, we mostly told them that we had no evidence for the quote (i don't know that anyone took on the concept). Like some of the Hitler threads, and the A-bomb thread and the Allied bombing in 1945 thread, it has become a thread which will not die. Every so often, someone shows up to rant about it. That suggests to me that there is some community of people--how large, i could not, of courrse, say--in Australia for whom this is gospel.
aidan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:46 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It turns out Albuquerque shares a few traits of the more eastern u.s. south, and serving sweet tea is one of them. Gaah.

I don't like sweet tea either - but I know a heck of a lot of people who do, so because I am not deluded enough to think that my taste buds are the arbiter for anyone else's-I just figure they know what they like and leave it at that.

I drink tea hot and iced. Here in England, I am considered weird because I don't like milk in my hot tea. I just like to taste the tea - although sometimes when I'm feeling really decadent and I have it around for cooking or baking or something - I'll dollop a splash of cream in my hot tea- that's a very, very delicious and comforting experience.

I like brewed, unsweetened iced-tea - no fruit flavors or anything like that.
No mixes.
And of all the countries I've visited, I've only been able to get that in a restaurant to enjoy with my meal in the United States.
That's why it's my impression that the US provides the best opportunity for me to have beverage I most enjoy with my meal - anytime of the year- iced tea.
Because even in hot places like Spain and Italy and Greece - if you can get iced-tea - which you can - it's out of a can and is Nestea (not to my taste).

If I have to settle for a mix - I can settle for Crystal Lite Iced-Tea.

I love English people but having lived here for seven years, I think a lot of them are under the delusion that there's only one PROPER way to do just about anything - including how EVERYONE should drink their tea.

I might also be deluded here, but I also think I've met the funniest woman I've ever met in my life, here in England - and I've met some funny people around the world.
She should do standup - she's a secretary where I work-as far as just normal people walking around - I think southwest England is the abode of one of the funniest women I've ever met.
They should be proud to have produced such an unsung gem of comic relief.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:20 am
A big old glass of iced tea, served sweet, with stevia, hits the spot on a warm evening. I use Lipton and love it. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:31 am
@Setanta,
That's an awfully common delusion in a whole heap of countries....I imagine a bunch of Australians would believe it. But our national soldiers' commemoration thingy commemorates a god awful defeat. Other than that I can't comment.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:35 am
@aidan,
Japan Airlines serves wonderful iced tea....absolutely straight cold tea....constantly on its flights....so I imagine it to be common in Japan?

Bloody wonderful.

I make it in summer.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:38 am
@dlowan,
There is a huge problem getting a decent cup of tea in America.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:50 am
When one considers that the East India company used to adulterate their tea with gunpowder, iron filings and god knows what elase, i always find it hilarious that the English go on and on about tea. If the tea itself is of a high quality, it doesn't matter if it's in a tea bag or a tea pot. Any Englishman who coms to American and can't get a "proper" cup of tea has no one to blame but himself.
Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:51 am
@dlowan,
Oh there's no doubt that all nations share such a delusion. What has amazed me is the tenacity with which the position is maintained in that thread, and how angry some of the Ozzians got if you simply told them you knew of no evidence for the quote.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:53 am
Sun tea can be a wonderful way to make iced tea--once again, the quality of the tea you use will determine the quality of the finished product.