What are your national delusions?

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:32 am
@dlowan,
Well, shyeah!

Our paltry possum has nothing on the mightiness of your marsupials.

And monotremes.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 10:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
You're being snide, in that your original post implied the 'someone' was boasting delusionally, as opposed to responding to something someone else had said. Also your choice of the word 'delusion' is in itself quite disparaging. And you've not provided any proof that, in respect of this, I am being delusional.
TheLeapist

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 12:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I lived in Brazil for two years and they almost all thought Portuguese is the hardest language in the world to learn.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I wasn't talking about you being delusional, which is why I didn't mention you. It just happened to remind me of how often people think their nation is best at something and how that is mathematically not possible for the overwhelming majority of them.

I didn't mean it as a slight to you, or to the SAS or anyone in particular. I just find it amusing that there are so many claimed number 1s and find it incongruous with some of the mathematics I absorbed.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:19 pm
@TheLeapist,
That is a good one. I've lived there for many years and can confirm it.

They also think they have the best girls, best football players, and best land. They are at least right about the football.

Speaking of Brazil, they also are really pissed off that the whole world thinks that the Wright brothers invented the airplane and insist that the Brazilian Santos-Dumont did.

It's delusional because there is no such thing as the inventor of the airplane, many people contributed to various parts of aviation and none of the key contributions are really in dispute (Santos-Dumont contributed hugely, but this takes nothing away from the contributions of the Wright brothers who did as well) and it's really all a big complaint that the Wright brothers are more famous.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I wasn't wanting to start a fight Robert, just letting you know why I used the language I did.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:22 pm
@izzythepush,
I didn't know we were fighting. Anyway, I mean no slight to you. Your comment just happened to get me thinking about something. I hope it is taken in that spirit.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It has been, that's why I originally said 'being a bit snide' as opposed to snide.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Well feck ye all!, we here in Ireland have the best leprechauns in the world. Beat That Mr. Green
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:32 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You've also got the best tunnel of goats.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,
And the best situation comedy ever, Ted.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
And and wait for it, we've got Moving statues eh!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Seriously, Father Ted is the best sitcom ever.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:50 pm
@izzythepush,
It's up there all right.

As for national delusions i think the people of Ireland are under no illusions about their country and the awful state it's in at the moment.
One delusion about Ireland I'd like to refute is our reputation as drinkers, the fact is per head we drink no more than most countries and indeed a lot less than some. Now!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
It seems to be something Americans go on about a lot. The same way we all stop at three to drink tea, and wear bowler hats and pinstripe suits.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 01:55 pm
@izzythepush,
What!, you mean you don't? Laughing Laughing

Oh that's in the North isn't it. Razz
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 02:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
BTW Having the best iced tea is like having the best boiling ice-cream.

To you maybe - but not to me.
I find it to be a sign of a deluded thinker when someone thinks that their experience of something is the only possible way anyone else can experience it.

To me, having the best iced-tea is nothing like having the best boiling ice-cream - not at all.
It happens to be one of my favorite beverage experiences. I find it very refreshing.
But it's fine with me if you don't understand . I'm under no delusions - I know that English people think they know how everyone should and shouldn't drink tea.
Just don't tell me what it's like for me - you really have no idea and if you think you do - you're deluded.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:00 pm
@aidan,
I have tried iced tea, in Texas, never again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:08 pm
@aidan,
Izzy tends to push with comments, what I like about him, so take that!

I mentioned that "the best story tellers have some irish in their souls".
Typical delusionary swill, I say myself, though there are silver threads of truth to it.

On tea, I like ice cold tea on a very hot day - but not so much something that is the equivalent of the u.s.' s Liptons, rather lots of different kinds, and not very sweet or sweet at all, dammit. It turns out Albuquerque shares a few traits of the more eastern u.s. south, and serving sweet tea is one of them. Gaah.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:13 pm
Oh jeeze . . . it's not as though all the iced tea in the States is going to be exactly like that which you disliked in Texas. Besides, if you don't like what's at the store or the restaurant, you can make your own.
0 Replies