World Scientists "Warning to Humanity Statement"

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 05:40 am
Full warning here...biosphere under assault.

World Scientists' Warning to Humanity (1992)

Some 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority of Nobel laureates in the sciences, issued this appeal in November 1992. The World Scientists' Warning to Humanity was written and spearheaded by the late Henry Kendall, former chair of UCS's board of directors.

INTRODUCTION

Human beings and the natural world are on a collision course. Human activities inflict harsh and often irreversible damage on the environment and on critical resources. If not checked, many of our current practices put at serious risk the future that we wish for human society and the plant and animal kingdoms, and may so alter the living world that it will be unable to sustain life in the manner that we know. Fundamental changes are urgent if we are to avoid the collision our present course will bring about.

Over 1,500 members of national, regional, and international
science academies have signed the Warning. Sixtynine
nations from all parts of Earth are represented, including
each of the twelve most populous nations and the nineteen
largest economic powers. The full list includes a majority
of the Nobel laureates in the sciences. Awards and
institutional affiliations are listed for the purpose of
identification only. The Nobel Prize in medicine is for
physiology or medicine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,121 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 05:47 am
Nothing will change while it affects the profits generated for the corporate buddies of our conservative governments.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 06:04 am
Wilso wrote:
Nothing will change while it affects the profits generated for the corporate buddies of our conservative governments.

This warning wasn't given airplay by the major American and Canadian media, so I posted on behalf of all decent and concerned people.

I agree that we'll need more shock treatment, but it never hurts to be informed*, especially on something as important as this.

*I'm sure most forumers of this section either know of it or suspect something like it, I really did for the occasional lurker.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:09 am
Thanks for posting this David Henry. I'm on an e-mailing list sent out by concerned scientists which highlights current environmental/technological/etc issues which need more attention from the people.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:34 am
Quote:
It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it".
George W.Bush
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:44 am
I'd like to thank you as well David.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 11:19 am
These are important issues that we tend to forget about...thanks for the reminder, David.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 10:07 pm
LOL on Dubbya.

Thanks ladies and gentleman.

My problem is that it's obvious that the politicians are puppets of the energy/richest companies in the world and have proven that they are scientifically illiterate by ignoring TWTHS92.

Therefore it seems appropriate to inform people that "they" must take action....ideally this will include modifying their own consumption habits, ie, don't buy an SUV if you don't really need it...and so on.
And voting for the parties who favour preserving our life support system, not exhausting it.

In my view, we are running out of environment whilst both increasing pops and consumption via Globalization....this defies the scientific warnings we have received, therefore the world needs to radically alter it's mindset WRT pop and consumption.

This is a Global problem, China and India are predicted to have 4 billion by 2030 and emitting 4 times as much pollution as the US currently does.
It seems to me that world politicians are going to take us to the brink of economic collapse....Capitalism will collapse before the last tree, it will collapse when plentiful and easy to extract raw materials are no longer available, and this will represent itself threw the sharemarket, leading to a potential economic disaster.

Capitalism cannot exist without psychological support.

EDIT:

Most people define capitalism in a logistical sense, they forget that it's defined by it's values, and that can be described as "man as self interested and the modern adjunct of entitled to consumer sovereignty".

I believe the The Warning to Humanity Statement 1992 and the GEO-3 report of 2002 alert us to the possibility that capitalism will collapse at current rates in about 25-40yrs.

Capitalism needs two types of support, it needs a functional environment, replete with high grade raw materials{plenty and easy to extract}...it also needs psychological support.
As we attempt the foolishness of Globalization{without regard to the scientific constraint of the eco-footprint}, we squeeze the system to breaking point, this will diminish psychological support once enough people are aware that our values are threatening our life support system{the biosphere}.

IMO, we need to replace the underlying values to something along these lines...."man as steward of the biosphere, entitled to no more than the eco-footprint will allow+ concern for all members of society regardless of age or socio-economic status"
0 Replies