Ghost Net, Florida Coast

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 07:38 pm
Found: one 500 yard net abandoned in coastal Florida waters. A thousand fish and turtles are dead. Officials are looking for the culprits. Makes my stomach turn.

Ghost Net Link

Another link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,521 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 07:40 pm
<strangled groan>

Damn.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 07:42 pm
no kidding. I hope they string the bastards up. The perps could face up to 50,000 in fines and a year in jail. If they catch them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 07:44 pm
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr -- not the turtles!

I wonder if the net could be traced....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 07:49 pm
Piffka - they're working on it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
This is awful.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:11 pm
Terrible! Hope they find out who is responsible.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
I saw a giant turtle down in the keys once, I was on the abandoned railroad bridge at Bahia Honda looking out over the water. The turtle was awesome. It rose out of the water near the bridge to breathe, I guess. It looked around and seemed so in control, so perfect... then it sunk down out of sight.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:49 pm
This kind of stuff pisses me off to no end. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 07:44 am
net material is made out of very durable woven plastics now. I think that there was a bill that was introduced in Maine a few years ago to return to sisal and fabric . This , of course, was defeated in the kegislature by the fishing industry.
We have the technology to make a line that, if kept wet for a few weeks , will begin to decay. Most long line nets are drawn out and dried periodically and , it seems to me, that is a net gets loose, having it slowly come apart and drift to the bottom would help avoid these sad stories.
There was a small finback whale that was caught in a net and the net was cutting him badly. The whale stranding volunteers got the thing untangled and saved but the many whales that are, caught and drown just sink to the bottom and we never know of them
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:00 am
Sigh
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:11 am
Double sigh Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 03:52 am
things like that just make you realise how selfish some people are...theyll just abandon a net for whatever reason without thinking of the consequence

and as for farmerman's post, it has become increasingly apparent that our technology has outweighed our humanity

but i guess talking about it will change nothing, there will always be people who will never change
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:10 am
Trixabell - I doubt that the people who left the net were merely thoughtless inre the consequences. I'm sure they knew full well what could happen, but left it anyway.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:25 am
farmerman wrote:
net material is made out of very durable woven plastics now. I think that there was a bill that was introduced in Maine a few years ago to return to sisal and fabric . This , of course, was defeated in the kegislature by the fishing industry.
We have the technology to make a line that, if kept wet for a few weeks , will begin to decay. Most long line nets are drawn out and dried periodically and , it seems to me, that is a net gets loose, having it slowly come apart and drift to the bottom would help avoid these sad stories.
There was a small finback whale that was caught in a net and the net was cutting him badly. The whale stranding volunteers got the thing untangled and saved but the many whales that are, caught and drown just sink to the bottom and we never know of them

I'm a little confused, Farmerman. If the long nets were made with a built-in decay factor, but it lasted a few weeks, wouldn't the fish, whales & turtles still be just as dead? They'd sink and we wouldn't know it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:27 am
But, if they don't sink, then the synthetic net can be a hazard for a very long time. Or, if they do sink, they can cause long-term damage on the sea floor.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:35 am
Ahhh, I see. Thanks, k.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:39 am
The decaying lines and nets are better, as good as we could get and still have fishing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:54 pm
I wonder how hemp rope would do? I'm going to look into this since my state has a large fisheries segment to the economy.

A good net mender is wonderful to watch. Most of the net sheds are gone, but they were nice places to be in: open, airy, right next to the water, sometimes on pilings over the water.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 04:49 pm
its true, degradable nets would have a time that theyd still be dangerous but the time would be , at most, a few weeks. If not, as little k sez, wed have a problem that would go on for who knows how long. No matter what industry we attempt , we shall always have some who are real pigs, and they will , hopefully become educated , or , if the nets bills pass, they would get ratted out for non degradable lines.

On our trip to Newf this summer, we saw a few porpoises caught in a big herring seine. We radioed to the stranding center in St Andrews NB and they relayed our coordinates to a local group of voluinteer fishermen who are trained in porpoise and whale strandings. they came in less than 2 hours and we watched as they shooshed the porpoises out. Apparently it happens a lot and usual;ly its no biggy, but if the seines are low tide in rocky shoals, the little guys go nuts and can shred themselves on the rocks
0 Replies