Cooking birthday party ideas

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:19 am
My 8 soon to be 9 year old has decided on a cooking party. I was thinking of making either a few big pizzas, they could make together or individuals ones and cookies.

Any thoughts on stuff to do with such a party - activities, games, party favors and stuff. We are just in the beginnings of this and seeing there are so many creative minds out there, why the h*ll should I plan it out when I have you all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,183 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:30 am
@Linkat,
Ha!

This is an awesome idea though!

I think of Top Chef right away -- not sure if enough kids that age have watched it for it to be interesting. But you can be Padma, there can be a Quickfire (maybe decorating cupcakes? something like that) and then each person makes a personal pizza with ingredients you have on hand, one for sharing/ tasting and one for them to eat themselves!

There has to be Top Chef-themed stuff out there...

(OK can I go ahead and steal this for sozlet? Laughing She loves Top Chef and we were already trying to figure out what to do...)
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:32 am
@sozobe,
OMG I am so doing this. Thank you, Linkat!!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2009/01/top-chef-birthd.html
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:33 am
@sozobe,
Of course! Especially since they are in different states - no one will know!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:35 am
@sozobe,
I was also thinking along the lines of "Iron Chef".
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 11:46 am
@Linkat,
Yeah, that could totally work too. The ingredients they have to use, etc. "ALLEZ CUISINE!!"
Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 10:16 am
@sozobe,
I found a nice easy one on the family fun pages - it is a Disney type website that gives all sorts of activities and ideas. They it down to the invitiations you can print out and an easy, but cute cake to make.

I usually buy a cake, but this is much less money and my daughter is very excited about making her own birthday cake. I even once made birthday cupcakes from this website.

I highlighly suggest it for easy and fun and creative ideas.
sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 11:58 am
@Linkat,
Awesome!

I brought up the Top Chef idea with sozlet, she loved it, then she wanted it to be Top Chef/ Project Runway, we might be going more towards Project Runway.

Basics: I'd get a bunch of cheapo stuff from Oriental Trading (9-foot semi-sheer tablecloths for $1 each, 500 self-adhesive jewels for $4, that sort of thing). Also lots of duct tape! (We have some now that's patterned, would get a few more colors.)

They all get a paper bag with the supplies in it. I'll have enough good scissors to go around, plus regular tape and also self-ahesive fasteners (yay Oriental Trading, again!).

Then some amount of time (an hour?) to create!!

I'm thinking of putting E.G. in a blonde wig to be Heidi Klum. Very Happy He's good with accents. Then I'd be Nina Garcia.

She thinks she wants to invite five girls, for a total of six -- I think I'd have six different prizes (best craftsmanship, most creative, prettiest, best overall design, etc.)

One thing I haven't figured out yet is, lacking dress forms, who they'll design for. Themselves? Each other? Positives and negatives for both.

I'm thinking of having two teams of three that trade off during certain segments of the designing time -- three are models while three do fittings on them, and then vice versa.

Has to be actually removable so they can work on it (embellishments etc.) without it being ON the person the whole time. (As that person is trying to do their own!)
0 Replies