gollum

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:32 am
I wish to reduce the sodium in my diet but it seems that most foods are loaded with sodium. I believe omelets contain a lot of sodium. How about an omelet made with egg whites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,669 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:40 am
@gollum,
Not sure of the validity of these statistics but here are the sodium content for eggs.
Quote:
Eggs, in mg
Egg, whole, small, 1 - 47
Egg, whole, medium, 1 - 55
Egg, whole, large, 1 - 63
Egg, white, large, 1 - 55
Egg, yolk, large, 1 - 12
Egg substitute, 1/4 cup (1 egg) - 115

http://www.alsosalt.com/socounfo.html

You can control the sodium intake for omelets you make yourself. Especially don't add hot sauce when you're about to eat your breakfast. That's just liquid sodium.

another component of the omelet that holds a great deal of salt to the equation is the cheese. You might want to use low sodium cheese or not include it at all.

Now, if your ordering from a restaurant, you may try and ask the waiter/waitress if the cook doesn't add any more salt to the omelet.

chai2

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:42 am
@gollum,
I've found this to be a great place to go to find out information about many foods.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/112/2
chai2

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:46 am
@chai2,
according to the above link the egg white of a large egg has 55mg, the whole large egg has 75mg

considering you're adding a lot of volume with the yolk, same difference.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 01:11 pm
@gollum,
don't use salt
MMarciano

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 01:34 pm
What about Sea Salt? that's what I use.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
If you like your omelet spicy, and are cooking yourself, you can add a small pinch of chili flakes to whatever the filling is, instead of sodium, or, perhaps, some turmeric.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 04:57 pm
@MMarciano,
Table salt is sodium chloride, regardless of the source. NaCl is NaCl.

Rap
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 05:35 pm
@raprap,
That's arguable. Apparently sodium is a baddie for many, but also not so conclusively a baddie for many others. There are unlimited arguments about this.

I have low level high blood pressure and monitor it twice daily Not only do I take the lowest mg pill prescribed, but I split it, and only take it when I see any kind of rise. (If my bp is normal when I take it, I can faint and hit my head, even at the lowest mg pill) - I've done that twice and almost done it more). I'm very aware of the sodium intake I have - and a once every four months bag of salt and pepper potato chips does not pump my bp. I cook fresh, except for canned tomatoes and beans, though I now make my own beans.

I'm not talking as an expert, but that I've read enough to know that people respond to sodium in varying ways. I also agree that less is more - I'm just not into complete fear mongering. I agree we in general eat way too much with sodium pushed into our food to make it taste better..
gollum

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 10:26 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco-
Thank you.

Apart from high blood pressure, is sodium intake a risk factor for congestive heart failure?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2011 04:03 pm
@gollum,
That I don't know.
0 Replies